Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone looking for Ruf bumpers....long?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Anyone looking for Ruf bumpers....long?

A while back I bought a very nice brand new painted front Ruf bumper from a fellow Rennlister (thanks Roland). No this one is not for sale.

I didn't have any immediate plans on installing it until I found a center exhaust rear Ruf CTR2 Sport bumper to match the front. As it turns out, these are very rare and not easy to get unless you have an in at Ruf. So as a last ditch effort I contacted Steve Beddor. Steve has been racing his Ruf CTR2 Sport for many years.

I asked him if he had an extra used center exhaust Ruf rear bumper and he said he did but it had some damage to it. As it turned out, I ended up buying 1 rear and 2 front bumpers (everything he had) that all had some cosmetic damage.

I bought the fronts to fix them up and keep as spares or sell them.

Keep in mind that Steve's car is wider than a standard turbo so the bumpers would need to be narrowed down.

The first order of business was to figure out how to narrow the rear bumper to make it fit my car. I was told that Ruf makes their bumpers in pieces so they have seams in them. By the way, these are made out of fiberglass. I started by sanding the paint off to find the seams. Once I found the seams, I knew where I could start cutting them up.

See how much wider the CTR2 Sport is than a standard wide body.

After I narrowed it down to fit my car, I had my fiberglass shop seam it back together. It turned out great

So now I have front and a rear Ruf bumpers to mount up to my car, right? Not quite yet. Because some of the damaged front bumpers I bought from Steve were missing sections, I needed to make a new mold for the repairs.

So I had my fiberglass shop make me a mold from the original front bumper I bought to make the repairs on the damaged bumpers. Here is the first part off my mold. Don't know why they made it blue?

Since I have a mold for the front I figure I would make one for the rear also, which I am in the process of making right now. I will also be making a mold of the standard Ruf rear bumper with the 2 exhaust ports within the next month.

I have been working on this for the last 9 months so you can see that I am pretty slow. Once the mold is made of the rear, I will be able to free up the original parts and get them both painted and installed.

I have seen many requests for Ruf bumpers lately as they seem to be harder and harder to get. Anyhow, if you are looking to buy them in the future, let me know.

I will post pics of the car when I have the new bumpers painted and installed. To be continued.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a Ruf rear for a narrow bodied car. Can you make that? Would be very interested if you could brother.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Brett B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice work. I had read some rumors about some molds being done for the RUF bumpers since they are hard to get, nice to see they were true. I would be interested in both the front bumper and a standard style rear bumper (with the 2 exhaust ports) for stock turbo body fitment. Please let me know when production parts are available.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Scott
When you are done and have an idea of cost and delivery time, I think we can come up with group buy
Ron
Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I would be interested in both front and rear -- rear must have the center exhaust

Making them from carbon rather than FG is also possible. Obviously there is a delta in material costs.

I'll post more thoughts I have on this sort of project once I return home from work.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Melman - I could probably fit up a rear Ruf bumper to a narrow body car, the only problem is that I don't have a narrow body car to fit one up to????

Brett - The fronts are ready, one month for the rear.

Ron - Just let me know what you need.

Chris - If I sell the rear with center exhaust it will be at a slight premium . Afterall, the reason I started this whole thing in the first place was to have a rear bumper that very few cars have .
Old 01-28-2008, 08:53 PM
c4consult
Racer

Default Ruf bumper

Great work great post. Would like to have front bumper and rear with dual exhaust for 993 narrow body ruf btr.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

This is great stuff...I have a NB but plan to add a WB to the stable shortly.

I'll also be interested in pricing for front and rear.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

You will make a lot of 993 owners happy with this. Good job!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 AM
4X4SCHE
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking a mold directly off Ruf bumpers and reproducing them for sale is theft of Ruf's intellectual property. If you wanted to produce "Ruf look" bumpers you should have designed and built your own slightly different look-alike plug and taken a mold from that.

Do you have permission from Alois Ruf to rip him off?

I would not brag on the internet about this dubious activity....and if I did I would certainly not call them "Ruf bumpers". In the boat production business this is called "hull spashing" and there are laws against it.

Anyone who buys them from you is complicit in this.

John
Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Peter R.
Pro

I think I would be interested in being an accomplice to acquiring a 'no, this LOOKS like a RUF bumper but it isn't because we've gone to great lengths to make sure there are no copyringt infringments nor theft of intellectual property' Rennlist Engineered Downforce and Handling Improvement Device or REDHID (Copyright Rennlist). If I can afford it.

Last edited by Peter R.; 01-29-2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
I think I would be interested in being an accomplice to acquiring a 'no, this LOOKS loke a RUF bumper but it isn't because we've gon to great lengths to make sure there are no copyringt infringments nor theft of intellectual property' Rennlist Engineered Downforce and Handling Improvement Device or REDHID (Copyright Rennlist). If I can afford it.

Clever....nice.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE
Taking a mold directly off Ruf bumpers and reproducing them for sale is theft of Ruf's intellectual property. If you wanted to produce "Ruf look" bumpers you should have designed and built your own slightly different look-alike plug and taken a mold from that.

I would not brag on the internet about this dubious activity....and if I did I would certainly not call them "Ruf bumpers". In the boat production business this is called "hull spashing" and there are laws against it.

John
Technically, yes. But if you call Ruf USA or Ruf Ger. and ask to order a set, they'll tell you, "We no longer sell these. Besides, even if we hypothetically did, they'd have to be installed by a Ruf Centre due to the fact that they fit like **** from the factory."

I don't think Scott will be stealing anybody's business.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Peter R.
Pro

So, equally technically, bumpers that fit can NOT be copies. or they wouldn't fit !
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Brett B
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4X4SCHE

John

Can you can show me where RUF has either a patent or trademark on the look of their bumpers, or has some other sort of special design/technology incorporated into them that constitutes IP? If not, your entire statement is irrelevant to what is merely a bumper cover. I suppose all those aftermarket RS splitters and GT2 bumpers out there are infringing upon Porsche IP...

These are being made because the original RUF bumpers are not available. Not because people are just unwilling to purchase them directly from RUF. And as stated, if these actually fit correctly, then they certainly are a unique design.

Quick Reply: Anyone looking for Ruf bumpers....long?