Sponsored by:

C4S vs. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:04 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4S vs. Turbo

Just got back from overseas after several years... Got my baby out of storage finally!! Ohh, how I missed driving her. Did my first track event a couple of weekends ago - must say, I've never appreciated my 993 as much as I do now!

Since then, the Porsche addiction has increased ten-fold... I've been reading up on all the threads on upgrades & mods. One of mods I would eventually like to make is turbocharging. I know I know, there are a lot more important mods (i.e. suspension) to be done prior to any hp increase...

But I've always heard that it is not as simple as slapping on a pair of turbos (and all it's accompanying parts) onto a C4S... that there are a lot more differences between the Turbo model 993 and the C4s. I would appreciate any light that could be shed on the subject... Thanks!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

A gigantic intercooler, different exhaust to integrate with turbo operation etc. Big $$$ stuff. Sell the
4S and buy a Turbo, probably your best bet...
Old 01-28-2008, 01:31 AM
jungleboy
Pro

She's my first! Can't give her up soo easily

I think I understand what probably needs to be done with the engine/intake & exhaust system etc. But, is there any other physical differences between the two? Beefed up drivetrain/transmission etc? Seems like there are a lot of similarities like the all wheel drive system, big reds, wheels, body work etc. Is it just a matter of moding the engine (turbo system) is what I am asking?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:51 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

No, the internals of the turbo were strengthened, different barrels, better/increased oil delivery system. All of which is logical..."bolt-on" is only appropropriate after one has made the necessary mods to accept the "bolt-on."
Old 01-28-2008, 09:01 AM
jungleboy
Pro

That completely makes sense... I figured it wouldn't be THAT easy. Seems like a lot folks out there have done the 3.8 conversion with some success with all the necessary internal mods as well. Has no one taken a C4S or C2S to full (including all the required internal mods to accept all that extra power) turbo specs? come onn , I know that someone out there has tried.... Honestly, I wish I could hold on to this car indefinitely and perhaps slowly over time convert her into a turbo.

I've done some extensive searching on all the threads to find a previous discussion like this and no luck. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction so we don't hash out the same thing over and over again. thanks again guys...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want "stock," Porsche turbocharging (rather than the Protomotive kits), it makes 10x more sense to just buy a turbo motor, install, and sell the C4S lump than to modify the internals, oil delivery, etc. of your engine.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:19 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
If you want "stock," Porsche turbocharging (rather than the Protomotive kits), it makes 10x more sense to just buy a turbo motor, install, and sell the C4S lump than to modify the internals, oil delivery, etc. of your engine.
+1

Andreas
Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Would you guys say that the stock turbo setup is better engineered and that it would be more durable over the long run? Vs. the bolt on turbo modifications? In which case buying a turbo motor make the most sense. But, say I buy a turbo motor or slap on a Protomotive or Turbokraft kit... are the rest of the systems able to handle the added hp (i.e. transmission and the rest of the drivetrain)?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
A gigantic intercooler, different exhaust to integrate with turbo operation etc. Big $$$ stuff. Sell the
4S and buy a Turbo, probably your best bet...
+++++++++++ 1
Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Come on guys, indulge me here... I know that buying the tt is probably the most sensible and smart thing to do. But, who else here in this eccentric world of the 993 is truly sensible and smart about what they want to do with their cars 100% of the time.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:59 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleboy
Would you guys say that the stock turbo setup is better engineered and that it would be more durable over the long run? Vs. the bolt on turbo modifications? In which case buying a turbo motor make the most sense. But, say I buy a turbo motor or slap on a Protomotive or Turbokraft kit... are the rest of the systems able to handle the added hp (i.e. transmission and the rest of the drivetrain)?
Yes. x1million. I'm sure Protomotive, Turbokraft, etc. are fine - but nobody with those resources can do what Porsche has done. Furthermore, think of ongoing maintenance and upgrades. You have a ton of choices to mod a 993TT engine - if you have a Protomotive TT engine you have one tuning source - Protomotive.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same dilemma when I had my N/A 944. Just sold it (I, too, was attached to it), bought a turbo, and NEVER looked back!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:41 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Ok, so then out of curiosity... what does a tt motor go for these days? And what could I get for my NA '96 engine? And the question still stands, are the rest of the parts up to the high hp task?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
I had the same dilemma when I had my N/A 944. Just sold it (I, too, was attached to it), bought a turbo, and NEVER looked back!
Perhaps I'll do that some day, but not yet... I still haven't reached the full limits of my car as of yet. Besides, I still enjoy driving her.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

There are some here on this board who have installed the TPC Supercharger. Would that be something
you would consider? The details of such an install are better left to those in the know...

Quick Reply: C4S vs. Turbo