Sponsored by:

Carpet removal, the easy way!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:35 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
...Any collective wisdom on how to get this adhesive off easier?
No tips here. Heat gun & box knife is how I did it (my goal was to remove the carpet, but leave the sound foam).

I tried freezing it with compressed gas (keyboard duster can, turned upside down) and that didn't work as well as I expected. It did work it some areas, but it also made the sound foam brittle and prone to cracking.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any collective wisdom on how to get this adhesive off easier?
3M Adhesive Remover. Pint can available at better stocked auto parts store (Napa vs Kragen). It melted the adhesive off pretty well. Caution: Noxious stuff - I killed a few extra brain cells doing that, at least I think I did. What was I saying?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My original post only applies to removing the carpet and leaving the sound deadening in place, sounds like you are removing the sound deadening too, I did not do this so cannot vouch for the steam method here.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I've been curious about this for a while. Has anyone tried to remove all the sound deadening and replace it with Dynamate or something similar before putting down new carpets? The old rubber insulation gets very brittle.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:16 AM
jhubs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a Thread on Pelican 911 Tech forum. I stripped the entire interior on my 87 911 and replaced it. I used Damplifier Pro (better than Dynamat) as a sound insulation material. I did not remove the "sound deadening" material that is a black tar-like coating on the interior floors under the carpet. I just put the Damplifier over the old sound material.
I used a product called De-Solv-it, an orange based cleaner that helped remove the old carpet along with a heat gun at times (on Low) and a putty knife. It all depends on the carpet and how well it is stuck down.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...light=Interior

Replacing the carpet is easy...the Damplifier Pro is labor intensive and is a knee killer in a Porsche coupe.
I used Damplifier Pro then a layer of 1/8" closed cell black foam called OverKill and then the new carpet...I hated parting with that car...PLUSH inside and smelled like new!
Attached Images   
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. Making progress... have the rear and front passenger areas completely stripped.

Anyone have instructions on how to get the center console off? Already learned the hard way that I should have asked first before removing the plastic sill trim pieces that hold the carpets down by the doors (ripped all the tabs off).

Jerry, thanks for the link. Great posts on that thread with detailed pictures of carpet layout... although not exactly same as the 993 carpet kit, it should help get everything oriented before the install.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

...Anyone have instructions on how to get the center console off? ...
Remove the trays in back, pull out the shift boot (push down on one side - left? - then finnagle it out), remove all the switches then remove the screws behind the switches.

... Already learned the hard way that I should have asked first before removing the plastic sill trim pieces that hold the carpets down by the doors (ripped all the tabs off)...
Is there a "right" way to do that? I broke both of mine removing them. I guess the sills can't slide out of the white plastic grommet things, so you have to pry those grommets away from the car with a prybar of some type...
Old 02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If one is removing the carpet and doesn't care about whether the sound deadening survives, how much of a PITA is the job? I also don't care about the glue residue as I just want to lay new carpet and insulation over it. But I can't figure out how easy that is...I read all the horror stories but can't figure out if that is removing carpet from insulation, or removing the insulation from the floor.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by leeshephard
after trying various methods at removing the carpet I was given this tip by David at Southbound Trimmers in the UK....and it is SOOOO easy, no hacking with a knife, no heatgun then burning your hands with molten glue, no little bits of glue stuck to your hands, arms, hair etc....

The secret is to use a steamer! one with a nozzle, and just steam the glue...it comes apart almost by itself with little or no pulling, which saves possible damage to the 10 year old rubber sound deadening.

I removed the whole back section in about 30 mins ish this morning using this method.

just remember to open both doors and sunroof first (unless your lucky enough not to have one) and make sure the car it properly aired and dry after you finnish.

I hope this tip will be as useful to others as it was to me.

cheers

Lee
Damm ( that hurts)
Old 02-09-2010, 04:47 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I saw that, and also saw others that said it didn't work so well. Hence me asking the Q.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:21 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
3M Adhesive Remover. Pint can available at better stocked auto parts store (Napa vs Kragen). It melted the adhesive off pretty well. Caution: Noxious stuff - I killed a few extra brain cells doing that, at least I think I did. What was I saying?
yep, this stuff works well.
i just used it to remove the adhesive under factory stoneguards.
i suggest you only use this in a VERY well ventilated area.

cheers

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2010, 12:30 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still trying to figure out if I'm pulling the carpet and insulation, and intend to replace the carpet and insulation, if the job is still a PITA, or if the PITA is only if you want a clean look for racing (getting the glue off).
Thoughts?
Old 11-03-2022, 05:55 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 516 Posts

I don't think the dash needs to come out. Maybe lower dash section but that's relatively easy.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:00 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Xylene. But use it sparingly, with respirator in a well ventilated area. I used Goo Gone for 90% of the job. See my RS Carpet Install
Old 11-07-2022, 05:20 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by pilegreatest
@Foxman thank you so much for your suggestion and response
Glad to be of help! And thanks to Cobalt who first pointed this out to me.

Quick Reply: Carpet removal, the easy way!