Sponsored by:

Becker CDR220 and ipod connector

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by m_reagan_s
The one that I bought that also plays and charges from David Navonne's site. I've not installed it yet but I think that Kika has done so.

Product ID: N-IPOD-RCA-Plus
Price: $24.95

http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?14&pid=335
Yes, that is the one that I am using, plugs into the back of the CDR-220 via an adapter I got from Becker and the iPod. Charges the iPod and provides line out inot the Aux of the CDR-220. The fit behind the CDR-220 is tight, and I also needed to use a gorund loop isolator to eliminate "whining" so there are a LOT of cables to get behind the CDR-220. It is very snug, but it all fits.

One precaution: when you push the radio in, have the radio tuned to an AM radio station. With all the wires, the antenna may pull out of the CDR-220, causing loss of reception. If you leave the radio on while you are installing, you will know immediately if this has happened. Don't use FM, as FM may work without an antenna if you are in the city. I took me a few tries, but once it is all in, it doesn't need to come out.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:29 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it all installed yesterday and it does take a few tries to get all the wires in there! Anyway, pleased with the results, no whining so far. Right now I'm resting the ipod on top of the center console just below the ashtray. I put it in one of those rubber protectors which grips the carpet and holds it nicely in that little notch area. To hide it and avoid the the inconvenience of disconnecting each time I made a small cover out of black PVC to lay over the ipod when parked. Looks like a small tray and you would never guess the ipod is under there. If anyones interested I can post a couple of pics.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Satellite Radio

Would this connection allow for better sound via satellite radio? The antenna bypass doesn't do much for the stereo separation.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:38 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

KiKa,

I used the Becker Cable to hook up a PDA and have wining issues too (below 2000 RPM). What connector did you buy and where / how exactly did you hook it up?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Erik
Old 02-12-2008, 03:01 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto. Hey Kikka, I have a whine from my speakers when using the I-pod. Please advise what the Gorund Loop Isolator is and where do I order one. Thanks :-)
Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
gwilensky
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use the Navone/Becker cables you get power to the iPod from the phone adaptor. I connected it so I only get power when the ignition is on. The problem with this set up is that the iPod does not go into Pause (and thus turn itself off) by itself, so you need to turn it off every time you leave the car or it'll continue running until it finishes the Playlist. It would be cool to make the iPod go into pause when you turn the ignition off. How could you do that?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Becker iPod input instructions

you can view instructions at:

http://www.beckerautosound.com/pdf_g...directions.pdf

Sam
Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Yes, that is the one that I am using, plugs into the back of the CDR-220 via an adapter I got from Becker and the iPod. Charges the iPod and provides line out inot the Aux of the CDR-220. The fit behind the CDR-220 is tight, and I also needed to use a gorund loop isolator to eliminate "whining" so there are a LOT of cables to get behind the CDR-220. It is very snug, but it all fits.

One precaution: when you push the radio in, have the radio tuned to an AM radio station. With all the wires, the antenna may pull out of the CDR-220, causing loss of reception. If you leave the radio on while you are installing, you will know immediately if this has happened. Don't use FM, as FM may work without an antenna if you are in the city. I took me a few tries, but once it is all in, it doesn't need to come out.
Hey guys,

As per this thread I bought the following cable from David Navone's site to hook up my iPod to my CDR-220. I just have a question about where all these cables connect to. The RCA cables are pretty self-explanatory, but where does the red stripped wire and the round metal ring connect to? Also, is this the only cable I need or do I still need an adapter from Becker. I believe "Kika" (yes) and "Stealth 993" (no) said conflicting things, so just wanted to verify.

Any suggestions and/or help would be great appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Hey guys,

As per this thread I bought the following cable from David Navone's site to hook up my iPod to my CDR-220. I just have a question about where all these cables connect to. The RCA cables are pretty self-explanatory, but where does the red stripped wire and the round metal ring connect to? Also, is this the only cable I need or do I still need an adapter from Becker. I believe "Kika" (yes) and "Stealth 993" (no) said conflicting things, so just wanted to verify.

That cable you got is a RCA adapter for the OEM Becker aux input cable. For that one, you will need the Becker RCA adapter. The red wire is to power & charge the iPod.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
That cable you got is a RCA adapter for the OEM Becker aux input cable. For that one, you will need the Becker RCA adapter. The red wire is to power & charge the iPod.
Thanks for clarifying. I'll have to get the adapter from Becker now along with some new *****.

Do you know where the red wire (power) and the ring wire goes? Is that the "ground loop isolator" that Kika referred to?

Thanks again.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for clarifying. I'll have to get the adapter from Becker now along with some new *****.

Do you know where the red wire (power) and the ring wire goes? Is that the "ground loop isolator" that Kika referred to?

Thanks again.
Yes, you will have 2 adapters plugged in, the Becker on from the HU to the cable you just got.

The 2 wires are power & ground to charge the iPod, that plastic case is a fuse. This can create some noise, so make sure you get a good ground. I grounded mine on the radio.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:50 PM
ShadySport
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

the black wire with the ring is the ground.
the red is ignition hot...power when the car is on...dead when the car is off. maybe tap the cig lighter?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I picked up a cdr220, a new 993 Ready faceplate and ipod adapter from Becker and hooked everything up. My trusty 4 year old IPod sounded great, except for a background whinning/faulty ground like noise. I used an iphone 4s, no noise. I used a newer ipod, no noise. A day later I used the same newer Ipod and that time it had the whinning noise. Any ideas? I called becker and they said that it might be a bad adapter, I am expecting a replacement in the mail. I noticed mention of a sound isolator, whatever that is. I was pretty excited and now, not so much I am thinking that maybe I should have just bought a new, state-of-the-art model and moved on. I paid about $105 for the adapter, I did notice later.....that the same adapter can be found at discountstereo.com for around $60. The new faceplate is great, got new ***** too, $12 each.....and I thought that the dealer jacked up the prices.....Thanks for all of the info on this forum, it is great. Phil

'96 993, black on black on black
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I got everything (including the radio and an iPod) for $80 a couple of years ago.

The sound isolator is more for hissing than whining. Does the whining change based on throttle input? If so, you have a bad ground.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the prompt reply, the noise doesn't seem to be engine related. It increases with increased volume, not with increased rpms. It is also present even with the engine off. I would think that it might be the cable itself since it seems to sound off when an ipod is plugged in, but not when it is unplugged. It immediately was present with my ipod 30 gb. Not so with the 80 gb, at first, now also present with the 80gb. I need to try the iphone again. It wasn't present with the iphone when I tested it a few days ago. I rechecked all of the rear connections, all were good. Phil

Quick Reply: Becker CDR220 and ipod connector