993 Forum 1995-1998

Cost of LWFW & Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 PM
aperalta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Pulling the rear suspension cross member does indeed add time. Some shops are including alignment costs and time in their quote.

There are advantages to pulling to whole shebang as at clutch time, other maintenance can and should be performed. Doing such maintenance at this time may allow a watered down labor total increasing value of the job.
+1 While my wrench had the motor pulled for the clutch I had the 60K serv done, updated turbo hoses, and installed 996 oil check valves. In all, saved some $$ on labor.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Any time I do a clutch, I practically demand the owner buys other items such as plugs, p/s belt, upper v/c gaskets, SAI check valve etc. It just make sense. I usually sweep it all in the total cost of the clutch job.

It seems as though 70-100K miles is when clutches give up the ghost, so at that point in time, its time to do a major.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Any time I do a clutch, I practically demand the owner buys other items such as plugs, p/s belt, upper v/c gaskets, SAI check valve etc. It just make sense. I usually sweep it all in the total cost of the clutch job.

It seems as though 70-100K miles is when clutches give up the ghost, so at that point in time, its time to do a major.
Spot on! I wish the indy that did my clutch was as smart as you. I had my clutch done 18 months ago at 50K.

Three weeks ago I (well some wrenchers friends) did all my 60K stuff except the p/s belt which I now understand is insane to try to do with the motor in.

We did do the SAI check valve but that alone took as long as everything else because we had to remove the housing it was frozen into so we could put the whole thing in a vise to free the check valve.

I'm not a mechanic but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denise993
One day to pull another day to put back. I'm told C2s don't need the engine dropped, but C4s do.
Denise, you are correct, my FW and clutch were replaced with the RS clutch and LWF without dropping the engine
Old 01-23-2008, 12:27 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just called up my shop and said "How much", did a little homework, and pulled the trigger. Think the kit was $1850 and labor $1000 for me.

I dont loose sleep over a few hundred dollars if Im comfortable with who is doing the work and they have a good reputation. My shop backed it up with a 1 year warranty on parts and labor as well.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a C4S and I bugged a lot of people if I could just drop the trans. The shops said they could but I know they have a lot of jacks, people and experience to pull it off. So me being the DIY person I decided to buy a mid-rise lift and a good table jack and do it myself. I am going to drop the motor and do all of the "while your in there stuff." It makes sense for me. Plus I am putting new JIC's on at the same time. So the cost of the lift should be covered by what I saved in labor rates.

Quick Reply: Cost of LWFW & Clutch?