Post SAI flush questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:06 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Post SAI flush questions

Hey Guys,

So I spent the weekend doing an SAI flush. I have a few questions that I was hoping that some of you more experienced guys could answer. So my method of attack was with a custom 4 foot compressor tube which I filled with solvent then hooked to the main compressor line and then an end finger valve which was used to inject in the SAI manifold. So I flushed the tube length down quite a few times however I still have one port which is not unclogging. I tried putting some wire up the port however it did not seem to want to go past 4-5 inches in. This was the same with all the ports on that side however the other two seem to be flowing fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am quite nervous about putting a wire too far up there and having it get stuck or break (those type of things always happen to me). I did not try to clog the other ports as i just couldnt get anything to stay in the port holes of the unclogged cylinders. Has anyone used plugs for the cylinders? If so where did you get them and do you have any name brands?
Additionally, for the unclogged ports i was wondering what kind of pressure should be coming through these. With compressed air running through the system I would feel a air coming through the ports but it was not powerful whatsoever. A good indication gauge on this would be helpful.

The check valve was my first DIY project on my car since I bought it in November. Since then I have replaced a stuck SAI valve, which included removing the manifold, cleaned the ISV and now this, which I plan on installing new lower valve cover gaskets while I'm down there. Not bad for a few months eh?

Thanks for the help all. If this little project does not work it is a 3 week garaging and turbowerx to the rescue.

Regards,

Kevin
96 C2
Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Here is a video clip I took after clearing a 1996 993 SAI passages. I dont have video of the before, but it wasnt nearly as clear as after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQYi3iCMw4

Old 01-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have plugs that I made up out of 1/2 plywood. I cut them to the shape of the heat exchanger manifold and drill holes that match the studs...that way I can selectively bolt "covers" on each outlet. I use the metal O rings as seals. Works like a charm! That way you can pressure that one or two stubborn channels since all the pressure goes through them.

If you do have a single blocked channel its not the end of the world as long as the others are open. I do not think a SAI will trigger if two of the three ports per side are open (correct me if I am wrong!).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to let everyone interested that after recently flushing my SAI with limited success on one bank (middle cylinder clogged), I talked to the dealer today and I think my car is going to pass emissions with no SAI issues! Thought I would let everyone know that it is not necessary to clear all clogged ports 100% in order to pass an emissions test. I will keep everyone posted if the situation changes. Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Kevin M.
1996 C2
Old 01-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

See this link, I'm just finishing up mine

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/404518-sai-cleaning-isolating-cyls-1-3-w-photos.html

My thoughts are 1) I don't believe you have to have all ports fully clear to pass (from what I've read).
2) If you don't clear them all now you're much closer to clogging a second later which I think will cause a fail.
3) a clogged port now will only get worse.
Just my .02
Old 01-23-2008, 01:39 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do have a single blocked channel its not the end of the world as long as the others are open. I do not think a SAI will trigger if two of the three ports per side are open (correct me if I am wrong!).
I have one port that is still clogged. It triggers the CEL every 1000 miles or so. I clear it with my OBD 2 reader. Once it is cleared, it passes the PA emissions inspection.

Quick Reply: Post SAI flush questions