Crash damage repair advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:46 PM
roddylennox
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Crash damage repair advice

Hi everyone,

I have finally found the source of a water leak into the front trunk/boot and now need your advice!

I have actually seen little droplets of water oozing into the trunk just above the wiring loom (about 10" up from the floor) and running straight down to the bottom, where the ABS compressor is on the left hand side (battery side). The water seems to be coming out of a joint in the inner wing, which has been painted with seam sealer.

I know that the car had a front end repair in approx. 2000, but was passed as fit by a very reputable inspector here in the UK (Peter Morgan's team). I plan to take the front bumper (fender) and N/S inner arch cover off to look for where water might be getting in.

I am concerned that water might be finding its way into the box section/inner wing section. I was planning to seal the leak & rustproof the section thoroughly. Anyone had this problem or got any advice? Do you think that the outer wing will have to come off? Would you go to a reputable bodyshop instead/beforehand? I'm not a pro, but have 20 years of experience in working on cars...

Thanks!

Last edited by roddylennox; 01-12-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 PM
roddylennox
Instructor

Thought a pic might help. Leak is where I have put the "dum dum" temporary repair - that black shiny stuff. Not sure what it's called round the rest of the World!

Name:  12012008060.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  199.3 KB

I know that the paint finish is not as the original cars looked, but it was cleared by expert inspector with national reputation as mentioned above.

Can anyone advise what I should do? Many thanks

Roddy
Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see the water...Have you taken the front wheel off of that side, then removed the inner wheel well liner and inspected it? Could be a very simple fix. You may have to apply the sealer on the outside too. If the alignment is ok, its probably not a big deal.

mar
Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 AM
roddylennox
Instructor

Thanks for your reassuring words Marlon. There's no water because of the black shiny "putty" (dum dum) that you can see which is keeping it out. Will remove the liner as you recommend. Wheel alignment was checked by 9M (Colin Belton's team) who said it was fine. No steering problems, uneven tire wear problems etc. so I assume nothing to worry about there. Car feels great to drive.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Roddy
Old 01-13-2008, 02:02 PM
roddylennox
Instructor

Anyone?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HI Roddy

I think I have a similar leak but on the other side, I'll check it out as soon as the weather gets better, and I also have the same paint finnish as you! any idea why it looks like that? I know my car has had a full respray pre 2001...

cheers
Old 01-13-2008, 04:10 PM
roddylennox
Instructor

Hi Lee,

That's interesting, so other cars can be affected then.

The finish is applied by the bodyshop, I think it's a thick rubberised solution, which is supposed to look like the original finish from the factory, except Porsche applied primer/base coat as we know.

Not original but that doesn't bother me. The potential for rot in major structual parts of the car does however.

Anyone else had experience in this area?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Roddy,
If you are worried about the structural integrity of the car your best bet would be to book a visit and let Marc have a really close look at the repair at the front end. That said, if you have resorted to sealing chassis joints with putty there must be something wrong although don't panic because it could just as easily be bad seam sealing on an adequate repair as opposed to a bad repair. OK?
Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 AM
roddylennox
Instructor

Thanks Colin, might well take you up on that!

Roddy
Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 PM
roddylennox
Instructor

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:18 PM
roddylennox
Instructor

Name:  DSCN0216.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  119.2 KB

Well I found the cause of the leak into my car's boot. A tiny hole in the seam seal at the front end of the main chassis runner. Fortunately no signs of rot. I used silicone to seal it off nicely. Porsche thought to put a nice big hole in the runner (behind the wheel arch liner), so I can get lots of rustproofer in there after testing the repair with a watering can/hose.

Thanks guys. Hope this helps someone out there.

Roddy

Quick Reply: Crash damage repair advice