Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

When turning, do you downshift before, during, or after your turn?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 AM
leosayer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The correct order is BRAKE, Down-shift, Turn. Heel and toe as needed but braking is always done first. Brakes are designed to slow the car, clutches are not.

Best,
+2.

The recommended method on an advanced road driving course in the UK is that you should avoid overlapping braking, gearchange and turn unless it’s an emergency. Heel and toeing is for fun or if you want to brake late but not a recommended approach for road driving.

This is the basic procedure, although there are exceptions depending on circumstances:

BEFORE THE TURN
1 Use the brakes to slow the car to the speed required for the turn
2 When you have finished braking, move right foot off the brake then onto gas pedal, and change into the appropriate gear for the turn , raising revs if required as required for a smooth change. Don’t go down the box, just straight from 4th to 2nd if that’s the required gear.

THEN THE TURN
3 Turn in, holding a steady throttle to maintain speed
Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by leosayer
+2.

The recommended method on an advanced road driving course in the UK is that you should avoid overlapping braking, gearchange and turn unless it’s an emergency. Heel and toeing is for fun or if you want to brake late but not a recommended approach for road driving.

This is the basic procedure, although there are exceptions depending on circumstances:

BEFORE THE TURN
1 Use the brakes to slow the car to the speed required for the turn
2 When you have finished braking, move right foot off the brake then onto gas pedal, and change into the appropriate gear for the turn , raising revs if required as required for a smooth change. Don’t go down the box, just straight from 4th to 2nd if that’s the required gear.

THEN THE TURN
3 Turn in, holding a steady throttle to maintain speed
that's what i do when i drive a 3 pedal, brake, 4 to 2 then voila just like what he said.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Do you guys go through neutral when you blip the throttle i.e. proper double de-clutch, or do you just depress the clutch pedal, hold it down and blip the throttle? I Double de-C ( blip the throttle in neutral with clutch pedal out ) but sometimes think this is not really necessary with a modern, syncro. gearbox.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double clutching isn't supposed to be necessary on a synchro box.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Remember the cardinal rule for 911's

Slow IN, fast OUT.
Mike,

There are lots of threads about this on the racing board (look for threads started by or contributed by ColorChange), and for people who are new to rear-engined Porsches, slow in, fast out is a good place to start. However, many of the faster drivers are learning the benefit of the fast in, fast out philosophy that comes about from trail braking into a corner where one maximizes the friction circle and utilizes all of the performance that the tires have to offer in terms of braking, cornering and/or acceleration. Unfortunately, this technique leaves little room for error and is best executed with caution and practice.

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Double clutching isn't supposed to be necessary on a synchro box.
+1

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-08-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

NEVER be in the clutch in the middle of the turn--you have very little control over the car should something slip or start to go wrong. The throttle is your friend.

Brake, Heel-toe, downshift, and roll into the throttle as previously mentioned. In any sort of spirited driving you will find yourself the unlucky recipient of "lift throttle oversteer" if you are drifting in a corner in neutral/foot on the clutch
Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Mike,

There are lots of threads about this on the racing board (look for threads started by or contributed by ColorChange), and for people who are new to rear-engined Porsches, slow in, fast out is a good place to start. However, many of the faster drivers are learning the benefit of the fast in, fast out philosophy that comes about from trail braking into a corner where one maximizes the friction circle and utilizes all of the performance that the tires have to offer in terms of braking, cornering and/or acceleration. Unfortunately, this technique leaves little room for error is best executed with caution and practice.

+1
Wow Mark, need to learn this. Have always been a slow in fast out guy. Weird thing is I now run a tip gearbox as well and still have yet to take it out on the track- wonder how I will be running the car only having to concentrate on the brakes and driving line for the first time in my life... look mum, no gears.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

For all you heel-and-toe guys, how long did it take to get the technique right and what did you do to practice? I'm struggling to do this without stabbing the brake with the toe at the same time I blip the throttle with the "heel" (really the right side of the foot, no?).
Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
For all you heel-and-toe guys, how long did it take to get the technique right and what did you do to practice? I'm struggling to do this without stabbing the brake with the toe at the same time I blip the throttle with the "heel" (really the right side of the foot, no?).
The brake pedal can easily be lowered so that it's at the right level for side-of-foot blipping. Pull the floorboard and you'll see the threads.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On the 993 it helps if you have a wider pedal installed on the gas pedal. That's the 1st upgrade I made on my ex-993 a wings technology heel and toe pedal.

On the 996 and the BMW 3 series they are very "correctly" positioned so that it's easy to heel and toe in them without any optional pedal.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

My feet are too large for a proper "heel-toe" but I can modulate the brake fine and blip the throttle (or whatever I want to do with it) by rolling my foot from the brake pedal to the gas. I do not try to use my heel explicitly, I find that too imprecise. This is likely incorrect but it works for me... :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-08-2008, 01:06 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

What Mike said...on cars with the pedals close enough, you can "roll" the side of your foot over to the gas by putting the left half of your right foot on the brake and rolling the right side of your right foot to the gas. Find a parking lot and practice. It just takes practice
Old 01-08-2008, 01:06 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
My feet are too large for a proper "heel-toe" but I can modulate the brake fine and blip the throttle (or whatever I want to do with it) by rolling my foot from the brake pedal to the gas. I do not try to use my heel explicitly, I find that too imprecise. This is likely incorrect but it works for me... :-)
Not incorrect. That's how most people do it. Actually twisting your foot sideways and pushing down with your heel while maintaining the same pressure with your forefoot? I imagine that would take some practice.

Here. Watch the king of footwork (it's an MMS stream, so it'll try to launch your video player): mms://a178.v096910.c9691.e.vc.akamai...e_physik_b.wmv
Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. No
You are correct; it's the side of the foot.

I've been heel and toeing since I was 16. I think it took me a few months to get fairly good at it.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
The brake pedal can easily be lowered so that it's at the right level for side-of-foot blipping. Pull the floorboard and you'll see the threads.
RJ, what do you find is the "right level" for the brake pedal?

Thanks, all. I need to practice.

BTW, I got a pair of Piloti Prototipo shoes for Christmas for "fun" driving. The right shoe is specifically designed for heel/toe work. And boy are they comfy!

Quick Reply: When turning, do you downshift before, during, or after your turn?