Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   When turning, do you downshift before, during, or after your turn? (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/402032-when-turning-do-you-downshift-before-during-or-after-your-turn.html)

993James993 01-07-2008 09:38 PM

When turning, do you downshift before, during, or after your turn?

If you are driving in third gear and need to slow to make a turn, when do you downshift into second?

I typically clutch while turning, shift into second, and let the clutch out as I finish the turn. My son, who is a very good driver with multiple PCA DE events under his belt, tells me that I should downshift sooner. This first came up after my car stalled (I have a LWF.)

I would be interested in hearing the board's feedback.

Thanks!

Jim

Robin 993DX 01-07-2008 09:44 PM

The proper way is to heel and toe (blip the throttle while you step on the brake) prior to the turn to get in 2nd so that the clutch is fully released before the turn. And then after apex, gradually apply throttle. (Or just floor it)

Saves clutch and synchro wear.

RallyJon 01-07-2008 09:46 PM

I almost always downshift while braking so I'm in the right gear when I get to the corner.

I don't double-clutch but I do blip the throttle to smooth the clutch engagement. It doesn't do much for the transmission, but it does keep things settled, especially if you're braking into the turn.

993_Pilot 01-07-2008 09:47 PM

I am certainly no expert and I will be interested to see what the more knowledgeable guys say, but I typically downshift while braking, just before the turn, so I am in the proper gear and ready to get on the gas when the time comes.

Black993 01-07-2008 09:50 PM

Brake and blip/downshift, apex, and roll onto throttle

every turn! Its habit :)

Marlon 01-07-2008 09:52 PM

Ummm - for spiritied driving street turns on less-than-highway type roads, I want to be in 2nd and the revs up around 5K+ as I'm entering the turn. That way I can control the speed with very minute throttle movement and not have to use the brakes - generally. The back end of the car really stays planted and the car is very controllable. Plus - it simply sounds great. Works good in 3rd for on/off ramps also. So you have to get on the binders for a sec get it in gear and go as you are setting up for the turn. Make it a smooth motion and it really is awesome. Careful - You will rapidly age your clutch if you diddle or fiddle with the clutch pedal during this process. Also - if you depress the clutch during a turn like this the car will actually accelerate and be sort of out of control a little and you will be tempted to brake in order to regain control & lower your speed. That's a nono because you might say hello to the back end of the car in a heartbeat.

I think Black993 said it the best!

993James993 01-07-2008 09:56 PM

Thanks guys! I gotta go try that!

95_993 01-07-2008 09:56 PM

Brake and blip/downshift, apex, and roll onto throttle
+1

Robin 993DX 01-07-2008 09:58 PM

I heel and toe at every turn, regardless. Just a good driving practice, so now I can pretty much get into any car and get familiar with any car to heel and toe and matching the rev in matter of minutes. All of my friends who lets me drive their "other brand" cars are always so shocked to see and hear what I can do with their car. LOL!

I always tell them, that owning a Porsche 911 makes you a better driver.

Serveral time when I test drove Ferraris (manual trans) I heel and toed and the sales person responded "WOW! you know how to heel and toe? Man I have been wanting to learn how to do that."

LOL! thumbs up for Porsche 911 owners. LOL!

Crimson Nape Racing 01-07-2008 10:29 PM

I downshift before the turn and use the engine to help slow the car. Also, as others have said, you need to be in the right gear to control the back of the car with your right foot. Not that I would recommend driving that close to the limit on the street....

tdub 01-07-2008 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing (Post 4957821)
I downshift before the turn and use the engine to help slow the car. Also, as others have said, you need to be in the right gear to control the back of the car with your right foot. Not that I would recommend driving that close to the limit on the street....

you want to use your brakes to slow the car. Proper rev matching will allow this.:)

tw

Mark in Baltimore 01-07-2008 11:07 PM

Your son is correct.

I downshift before the turn and usually don't do it while turning. Additionally, for most turns, I'll heel-and-toe downshift while braking. For corners that are preceded by very high speeds such as T1 at VIR, I'll finish a good portion of my braking before I downshift.

Bob Rouleau 01-07-2008 11:56 PM

The correct order is BRAKE, Down-shift, Turn. Heel and toe as needed but braking is always done first. Brakes are designed to slow the car, clutches are not.

Best,

Wilder 01-08-2008 12:17 AM

^ +1

Mike J 01-08-2008 02:16 AM

Remember the cardinal rule for 911's

Slow IN, fast OUT.

As you enter your braking zone (just before the corner), brake setting up the car for the corner. As the car is settling because of the braking and you are starting to turn in and letting off the brakes, downshift to a lower gear and squeeze the throttle to transient to a gas-on and accelerate out of the corner. The downshift can occur as you are braking, the trick is to make sure you are in the correct gear in the power band in preparation when you apply the power as you go through the corner.

At least that is how I was taught. Seems to work. :-)