Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this:
1995 3.6 272HP
Fabspeed Cat Bypass - 10HP $500
Rennsport Custom Chip - 10Hp $500
Vario Intake - 10Hp $1000
RS Cams - Remap - 10HP $750 - Tq
Heads/Valves - Remap - 10HP $2000 - Tq

Just guesses, but that would net 322HP. Please copy, paste and modify as you see fit.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

What's involved in adding v-ram to a '95?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

I'm not talking about adding the varioram, just swapping out to the later intake.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Well the moment has arrived!
The engine is out and in the processes of being torn down. I still have some things up in the air:

Varioram Intake - I am going to pass on this, have the intake, but looks a little more complicated than I want to do.
Heads/Valves/Ports - If the valves need replaced I will upgrade to RS sized valves
Cam - OEM, unless the valves above need replaced and then I will make the swap - I have a set of old rockers if needed
Chip - Will talk to Steve at Rennsport
Exhaust - Fabspeed bypass, stock mufflers - existing
Clutch/Flywheel - RS clutch and flywheel

So, basically stock, but willing to spend incremental $$ if OEM items need replaced.

Stay tuned, John
Old 10-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
What's involved in adding v-ram to a '95?
you need a chip for it and a slight rewiring of the harness at the engine. Very simple.

I'm not sure that it's worth it for a track only car, on the street it probably is.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab
How about this:
1995 3.6 272HP
Fabspeed Cat Bypass - 10HP $500
Rennsport Custom Chip - 10Hp $500
Vario Intake - 10Hp $1000
RS Cams - Remap - 10HP $750 - Tq
Heads/Valves - Remap - 10HP $2000 - Tq

Just guesses, but that would net 322HP. Please copy, paste and modify as you see fit.
You can't add up HP #'s from mods, it just doesn't work that way. With both the mufflers & cat bypass, 10hp would be great!

Some of the HP # quoted are differential numbers & not absolute numbers. So in one spot on your dyno chart this X mod did a 10 gain over stock, but it didn't add 10hp to the total, so your still @ 272, but in the mid you gained 10hp.

With everything, you have there, I'd be happy with around 300hp.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

The options were just a guess and obviously the combinations will alter the outcome.
Bill, you have me questioning myself again on the v-ram upgrade. I have the newer harness and a v-ram intake. I need to get a chip anyway so that is not an issue. I guess I should look into the exact deatils of the v-ram upgrade before I make a final decision. Is there a definitive list of parts somewhere?

FYI - the case is split and everything look sgreat so far. Pistons, cylinders and crank appear to be in fine order, although I'll know for sure when the machine shop takes a look.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

....Bill, you have me questioning myself again on the v-ram upgrade. I have the newer harness and a v-ram intake. I need to get a chip anyway so that is not an issue. I guess I should look into the exact deatils of the v-ram upgrade before I make a final decision. Is there a definitive list of parts somewhere?.....
I don't know that i would swap in a vram if I was in your position, but it is easy just a couple of wires at the engine end of the harness and a chip of course, everything else is just a swap.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Heading to the machine shop today - More questions

Can the 993 cams be regound to RS spec? My cams have the woodruff key and what appears to be the entire early cam/cam gear set-up. Does that change anything?

Valves - Looks like stock are I49mm E42.5mm and RS I51.5mm and E43.5mm. Who's a good source to go to RS valves if needed?

Head Ports - I've seen reference to 3mm enlarged ports. Is it optimal for intake and exhaust?

Lifters - Should the hydraulic lifter be replaced? 113k miles, although they all seem to be fine and are pretty expensive. If I go to the RS set-up above, should I change to solid lifters? Can I use the ealry rockers 2.7-3.2 or do I need to go to the 964 rocker?

Thanks for all the help, things are moving along.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I can try to answer some of your questions:

1 - I would check with webcams or other sources about the cams. The good thing is the woodruff key, that allows you to backdate the gear set on the cams back to 964 and earlier gears. I did this on my 96, it allows you to time the cams manually, and it has a very positive lock between the cam and the cam chains. On the stock 993, this lock is just the friction because its tightened down ; there are reports of the cams slipping.

2 - RS valves are larger, the will require work on the heads since they have to be seated properly. I use EBS racing, they give pretty good deals. There are other suppliers out there. They are not cheap..

3 - No sure if enlarging the ports in this particular setup will help that much. I am sure someone will chime in.

4 - Yes, replace the lifters. Its the seals on the lifters that go, at that mileage they will fall apart when you remove them from the rocker arms. Go with the hydraulic lifters, and make sure the RS cam you buy/make is designed for those lifters. The profile is different for fixed lifters. In the long term, they hydraulic lifters are less work and quieter.

If would be good if you track your costs and figure out what the difference between the stock and RS setup is. I figured it was close to $3K but I could be out.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Heading to the machine shop today - More questions

Can the 993 cams be regound to RS spec? My cams have the woodruff key and what appears to be the entire early cam/cam gear set-up. Does that change anything?

Valves - Looks like stock are I49mm E42.5mm and RS I51.5mm and E43.5mm. Who's a good source to go to RS valves if needed?

Head Ports - I've seen reference to 3mm enlarged ports. Is it optimal for intake and exhaust?

Lifters - Should the hydraulic lifter be replaced? 113k miles, although they all seem to be fine and are pretty expensive. If I go to the RS set-up above, should I change to solid lifters? Can I use the ealry rockers 2.7-3.2 or do I need to go to the 964 rocker?

Thanks for all the help, things are moving along.
Your cams can be reground to RS specs; I use Webcam for that service.

I do stock RS intake valves since we do a lot of these conversions and the seats must be remachined to use these. Use the stock exhaust valve size.

Don't touch the ports! RS heads do have bigger ports but not needed for any street use. These are also different castings since the regular 993 versions are too thin to enlarge to RS spec.

Replace the lifters as you will soon do that anyway. I would recommend retaining the hydraulic lifters in anything but a dedicated race engine. New cams should get new rockers, too.

Hope this helps,
Old 10-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 150 Posts

Would like to hear some numbers($$$) when you are done just out of curiosity. Hopefully this is a LONG way off for me!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the info.

I talked to Dougherty Racing cams and he's never done a 993=>993RS hydraulic regrind. He has offered to do a set-up, but given the nature of this build I don;t want to go that route. I will call Webcam. Thanks Steve

I just returned form the machine shop with RS valve spec inhand. He is not sure about going from the 49mm=>51.5mm Intake valve given the space. Can you confirm this is doable? I will not port anything then either, but I'm not sure in that case what good the larger valve does. Of course, I'm only going down this road if the valves/springs need replaced anyway.

Damn those lifters are expensive! I wil add that to my budget.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Before and After, RS Valves:
Attached Images   
Old 10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I just returned form the machine shop with RS valve spec inhand. He is not sure about going from the 49mm=>51.5mm Intake valve given the space. Can you confirm this is doable? I will not port anything then either, but I'm not sure in that case what good the larger valve does. Of course, I'm only going down this road if the valves/springs need replaced anyway.
LOL,..You bet thats doable,.. We've done well over 200 sets of 993 heads with those valves. The seats must be machined properly to use the bigger valves. The difference is airflow,...

There are some valves that flow significantly better than OEM ones, too,..

Damn those lifters are expensive! I wil add that to my budget.
Yessir,...they sure are. Euro vs Dollar issues, material costs, and relatively low volumes share the blame for that one.

Quick Reply: '95 Rebuild options