Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Essentials for cross country trip???

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:22 AM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm now officially a first time Porsche owner - have been wanted one for about 30 year...long story that I'll not bore you with. Just wanted to thank you all for your help and advice so far and warn you that I have a zillion other questions about my 993 C2.

Quick summary.....we flew from Boston to Southern CA and met the Rennlist owner (great guy...as nice as they come) on Tuesday and hit the road on Wednesday morning - stayed in Santa Fe, Oklahoma City, Nashville, Baltimore and in Boston on Sunday in time for the Pats game at 3. The car performed flawlessly over 3,500 miles and my wife and I are still speaking - in fact we loved just loved it.....what a great memory and I'd do it again in a minute.

There are many more thoughts and ideas that I have about this whole thing but the big takeaway I have is "why the heck did I wait this long????".

Thanks again....you have been so very helpful.

Matt from Boston
Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for the update and glad to hear you are back home and pleased with the car.

My #1 rule in Porsche ownership is to never add up the receipts.

The #2 rule of others is to never let the SO know how much your Porsche really costs to keep it maintained. This rule is subject to change in relation to the receipts, if the SO should add them up.

Rule #3; see rule #1.

Hopefully the both of you will get some seat time in, join the PCA, and start to do some driving events in the car. Auto crossing is a great start. Both can drive the same car, minimal expense, and you can learn to handle the car in "high speed" situations.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:35 PM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

Another great piece of advice NC....probably as important as any of the tech advice I've been getting here. She's already mentioned something about "things must be going really well at work" !
Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM
LanCat
Intermediate

When I read this board I always get the feeling that America really doesn't deserve to have so many fantastic Americans.

Then amongst the good stuff I see advice about carrying some serious firearms when going for a drive.

What is it with you guys?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:04 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some good ideas for my cross country trip in April (Phoenix to Edmonton to pick-up my new 993 which is in storage ). It's -22 F plus wind chill so spring can't come soon enough.

There are a couple of things I will leave off of my list though:

-fresh rubber - wife will wonder and I can't afford it
-gun - don't own one and don't know how to use one; do I need one?
-radar detector - do I really have to pay the ticket if I'm from out of country?

ps Is my car really at SUV height?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM
endodoc
Intermediate

Default ship it and fly back

wear and tear on you
Old 01-28-2008, 08:58 PM
matt777
Drifting

Why when I can have a great time like Matt from Boston and save $3000 shipping?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Drive it. I bet the scenery will be fantastic.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM
johnathan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marlon
By the time the list is complete, the poor guy will be towing a U-haul trailer.
That's exactly what I was thinking!! ROFL
Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
m_reagan_s
Instructor

We flew out with FF miles, used Marriott points to stay in high end hotels, got the greatest thumbs up from people across the country from all walks of life, from the hotel bellhops in the west to the toll collector on the GW bridge in New York City, got to drive 125 mph in the Mohave desert without my wife even caring, ate and drank like a king, and despite being tired had a big smile on my face when I started it up in the morning. We're over 50 , and you only go around once man ...so happy I chose to go for it and not ship it back here. One man's opinion.

Matt - Boston
Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 PM
matt777
Drifting

Sounds fantastic!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Southampton76
Racer

This thread has been very timely. I'm relocating to the Bay Area for a year or more for work. I'm thinking of driving the other way, Boston to Los Gatos. I have to do the drive in my Range Rover at the end of Feb to move stuff over as part one of the move, clothes, bike, personal items etc. I'm not sure what to do about the P-car, which is sitting in the garage in NH.

I have looked into U-hauling it behind the RR, not ideal. Cost is about $1K for 10 days. The RR can pull it, but thats a long way to haul a trailer. Shipping is about $1K, I originally shipped Porsche from San Diego, took 5 days and the thing arrived safe and sound, although VERY dirty from being exposed on a trailer. I would love to drive it across country. I was thinking it would take 4 days, 750 miles a day on average. Spring time would be best, as I have to take the northern route on i-80

Be looking to making some new Porsche friends when I get to the bay area.

Mark

Mark
Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Why not load up the RR and ship it. Drive the P-car.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Southampton76
Racer

You can't put personal items in cars unless you pay over the odds, even then you are at the hands of the drivers and they co drivers. When I had the Porsche shipped from San Diego, the previous owner had a cd changer in trunk that was'nt hooked up, that went missing, not that I really cared, but still.

Its looking more like two drives across the country :-)
Old 01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Add to the list of goodies:

A hottie and a box of condoms. It is going to be exciting driving that car that far and the 993 shouldn't be the only one blowing out the carbon...

Quick Reply: Essentials for cross country trip???