Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw a Boxster spoiler malfunction - should I care?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wave to all Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, Ferraris, Lambos, nicely restored muscle cars, or any exceptional car that I want to give a nod to. We are all more or less car enthusiasts.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:30 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
Now I ask, am I a jerk who should welcome all p-cars with open arms
You are a jerk. You've clearly never driven a Boxster based on your post.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:42 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wave at all of them. Whether it's a 911, 928, 944, etc. many of us enjoy these cars for what Porsche brings to the table (history, performance, panache for some); regardless of the car each Porsche enthusiast is sure to have something to offer all of us. Anyhow, I would have to agree your actions on this particular matter suck. Happy Holiday's to the Rennlist community.

Last edited by 68CGPlt; 12-24-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-24-2007, 06:52 PM
DMB14
Racer

In my 944 I usually wait to see if I get a look before I wave. I've only really been snubbed once by a guy in a 964 cab. I was driving through a parking lot and I saw the guy getting into his car, I slowed down and gave him a thumbs up out the window and he looked at me like I was out of my mind. That kinda **** pisses me off. Maybe it's cause I'm only 18 and driving a Porsche, I think a lot of people feel like I shouldn't have the car.

Oh and I almost forgot. Pulling into school one day, a dad who was dropping their kid off in his 993 looked right at me in my 944, then as I got closer he quickly looked away and put his hand up by his face acting like he didn't see me. It was really odd.

Some people are just snobs I guess.

I'd like to think that the type of enthusiast who visits Porsche forums online would be kind enough to wave to a Porsche of any model. I guess not though.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:52 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done! It's the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Weak. I think the type of car someone's driving should never stand in the way of doing the RIGHT thing. It's just common decency. I was driving in my 993 and saw a lady pulled over with a flat tire, in her Camry! I drove by, and thought "that's messed up". I was worried that if I pulled over, she might think I was some freako-weirdo and be very uncomfortable. We know the planet does not suffer from a dearth of sickos. Nevertheless, I have a wife and a daughter, and it just bothered me that this lady was out there by herself stranded with cars just zipping by. So I said "F" it, and exited the next offramp, turned around and got back on the freeway and pulled over behind her, telling myself, she'll have to refuse my assistance. And what do you know...she was elated that someone had stopped to help her, because she was completely at a loss of what to do. I changed her tire, and the gratitude she expressed was more than enough to make me realize I had done the right thing. If that was my wife, daughter, or mother, I hope there would be someone decent enough to lend her a hand if I'm not able to do it myself. Do what's right people....just do what's right.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:08 PM
H2NO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mean people suck

I can't believe I'm replying to this useless thread.

You're a jerk for not helping out another human being with a problem you are aware of but others on the road may not. You're an insecure jerk for actually posting your ridiculous tale on a public forum. You must have gotten beat up alot in High School.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

An interesting thing happened to me years ago. I was driving my 3.2 and there was a girl with a flat in a white convertible rabbit. I too had that feeling like I don’t want to scare anyone, but I decided to pull over anyway and help. She was happy I did and as I got her on her way, I said to her, “my sister has a white convertible rabbit too. and I would want someone safe to pull over and help her if she needed it.”

A month later, in a different state, my sister got a flat and a guy in a 944 pull over and changed it for her . . ..
Old 12-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

BTW, I would have informed the driver of the issue. The Boxster ain't my cup of tea, but that fact has no bearing on whether or not I'll help another driver, let alone another Porsche owner.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:22 PM
melman911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLYT993
So I said "F" it, and exited the next offramp, turned around and got back on the freeway and pulled over behind her, telling myself, she'll have to refuse my assistance. And what do you know...she was elated that someone had stopped to help her, because she was completely at a loss of what to do. I changed her tire, and the gratitude she expressed was more than enough to make me realize I had done the right thing.
Good job helping someone out.

Reminds me of a movie I have laying around here somewhere. Only the woman is pretty young, short cutoff jeans, halter top, and she's so elated they go back to his place and... Well, you get the idea. Sorry, off topic.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
Hey -

I was on the road here in San Antonio and saw a boxster in the lane next to me with his rear (idiotic) spoiler up all the way on the passenger side and all the way down on the drivers side (looking even more silly than normal).

My first (rennlister) reaction was to immediately speed up to try and get beside him to let him know that he had this issue. It occured to me that if I cannot see my spoiler in the RV mirror this guy did not have a chance, and if my car had a similar issue it might go un-noticed for some time.

Alomst immediately I had second thoughts because I have always hated those cars and think in general that they are nice for ladies who are young and unmarried but otherwise useless. Having second thoughts, I chose to ease back and let him go on about his merry way.

Now I ask, am I a jerk who should welcome all p-cars with open arms or was I justified in my second (smug) reaction? Do you waive to the boxsters? Be honest....

Thanks
Hey
I'm guessing that you are trying to be cute with this post, but it doesn't seem to be working.
Here are my reactions:
Have you ever driven a Boxster? I have - on the street and on the track. I have a friend with a first year Boxster, now with 180k miles on it, some on the track. Still a nice car with great handling (yes, it could use more power, but so could my track car).
I've instructed in Boxsters; pretty nice track car. I can get them around the track pretty quickly, and so can their owners.
I'm thinking - if I'm offered a Boxster, I'd take it. Bet you would, too. I'd love to buy one and strip out about 500lbs. and track it. That could be fun.
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:23 PM
DMB14
Racer

BTW, I think Boxsters are sweet. It's what I want my next Porsche to be.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I wave to all Porsches, BMWs, Mercedes, Ferraris, Lambos, nicely restored muscle cars, or any exceptional car that I want to give a nod to. We are all more or less car enthusiasts.
jeez your arm must get tired.

If I waved to every BMW and Mercedes, my arm would fall off in one afternoon drive.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:52 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

We don't have a lot of exotic cars in our rural location but I wave, or flash my lights, at all of them when encountered. Most will respond in kind. Maybe the the drivers are just friendlier here .

I personally would have attempted to enlighten the other motorist about his spoiler problem if it could be done in a safe manner.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:38 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
A month later, in a different state, my sister got a flat and a guy in a 944 pull over and changed it for her . . ..
That's what you call good Karma. It's also the attitude that should be revived. I was driving from home to the parent's house, and from there to work today, and could not believe the amount of people driving along in a "me first" frame of mind. At Christmas no less! We have gotten so far away from the good neighbor way of thinking that it is the abnormal to see someone stopping to help... at least, here in SoCal. I certainly hope that it is different where each of you live.

Quick Reply: Saw a Boxster spoiler malfunction - should I care?