Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Garage Floor.... Ugh, My Back...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

a big note of caution for those of you looking to do this. A few years ago on another auto enthusiast forum I frequent a guy did this using "self adhesive" tiles as these appear to be (if not please excuse this post). He put the car on jackstands and fortunately walked away for a minute. Turns out that the adhesive was not strong enough to hold and the pressure of the jackstand on one of the tiles caused it to slide and the car to come crashing down. He was lucky to not be under the car at the time. Use caution with this type of garage floor.

Jon
Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jon - Good point, but the tiles you see on this thread use a special hi-tack mastic that is applied with a special trowel. The only way to remove a tile once it has cured for a coupel days is to heat it with a torch and scrape it up. One of my concerns is how properly applied tiles react to the heat exchangers on the 911's!!!!

Originally Posted by Jon 'Bama
a big note of caution for those of you looking to do this. A few years ago on another auto enthusiast forum I frequent a guy did this using "self adhesive" tiles as these appear to be (if not please excuse this post). He put the car on jackstands and fortunately walked away for a minute. Turns out that the adhesive was not strong enough to hold and the pressure of the jackstand on one of the tiles caused it to slide and the car to come crashing down. He was lucky to not be under the car at the time. Use caution with this type of garage floor.

Jon
Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option if you are building a garage is to use cut and stained/ sealed concrete. I did that and it turned out looking like 24 inch tiles and its indestructable. We cut the floor up into tiles with a concrete saw. stained and sealed it. We then came back and grouted the seams to look like tile and sealed over that. Then a good polish and it looks great. Believe it or not, its not slippery when wet. The second shot is looking directly down on the floor.

Here is a shot of my car with my floor under looking kind of dirty. I will try to find a clean shot. Please forgive the dirty garage as I have been pulling carpet and glue out of my project race car. Trying to restore it to like new condition. Next up is the body

Quick Reply: New Garage Floor.... Ugh, My Back...