Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Split grill reinforcement rail adhesive...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007 | 11:45 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Default Split grill reinforcement rail adhesive...

The PO of my car had a bodyshop install a C2S split grill, but they neglected to affix the reinforcement rail that keeps the leading edge of the grill flush against the spoiler.

The rail arrived yesterday, along with the adhesive kit that is used to affix a spoiler grill the the rest of the spoiler. The adhesive kit comes in several parts (but not the actual applicator gun used to spread the adhesive on once mixed). Plus, it looks complicated to mix and apply. Of course Porsche didn't provide instructions.

Here's the question: is there another type of aftermarket adhesive anyone has used to glue their reinforcement rail onto the spoiler? I'm looking for something relatively easy that's in a tube yet strong enough to keep that rail in place. I know from archive searches that others have used a 3M adhesive for the actual plastic grill, I'm just not sure it's strong enough for the metal rail, especially since the rail doesn't have the additional clips a grill has to keep it locked in place.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:20 AM
PDriver
Intermediate

Use SIKAFLEX 221, or 521 if UV light goes to the material....

http://www.sikaautomotive.com/ind-au...oduct-flex.htm

Regards,
PDriver
Old 12-07-2007 | 09:31 AM
dhicks
Drifting

I did all the installation of my split grill.......but I have to admit, I did not remember using any adhesive.......it has been on for two years and is still as solid as a rock......
Old 12-07-2007 | 10:06 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dhicks
I did all the installation of my split grill.......but I have to admit, I did not remember using any adhesive.......it has been on for two years and is still as solid as a rock......
Thanks David. The split grill itself fastens using clips but there is a reinforcement rail that should be included with the kit which helps keep the leading edge from warping. The rail does not snap in or utilize clips and it must be affixed using adhesive.

I'm looking for alternatives to the Porsche-supplied adhesive since it uses a specialized mixing cylinder and application gun that my dealer says does not show up as available on the PET. In addition to the Sikaflex, I'm thinking about using some JB Weld.

Here's a pic of the spoiler warping when no rail is installed:
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2007 | 09:16 AM
pezza
Racer

I used a product called Tiger Seal, but any automotive flexible panel adhesive will work, you don't need to use very much, clamp the rail in place and let the adhesive cure for 24 hours and you will be good to go. Probably easier to do with the spoiler removed.

I originally posted on this topic about a year and a half ago, after removing my warped standard unit only to have the new split grill warp the same way.Think I posted photos etc have a search around in the 993 forum, should still be there.

regards
Old 12-11-2007 | 09:36 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Ah! I see where you mean now.....I am not sure my assembly came with a rail to stop this, I will look when I get home.
Old 12-11-2007 | 12:50 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

David, your post makes me feel better. I used the 3M adhesive, but I obviously did not use enough of it, as the grille has a lot of slop to it. Still, I used all new clips and snugged them real well. I have probably had my car up to 140mph since I put the split grille on and it hasn't come off. But I still worry about it.
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:40 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
David, your post makes me feel better. I used the 3M adhesive, but I obviously did not use enough of it, as the grille has a lot of slop to it. Still, I used all new clips and snugged them real well. I have probably had my car up to 140mph since I put the split grille on and it hasn't come off. But I still worry about it.
Rick,

I know what you mean about being nervous. Since this "reinforcement rail" does not have an additional mechanical fastener (like the split grill itself with the clips) I want to make sure I use something super-strong.

The Porsche adhesive (which I bought, btw) looks like it needs a special mixing cylinder and application gun that are apparently unavailable. Sikaflex looks like it may be the product to use. I considered using JB-Weld, but it's bonding ability to plastics isn't the greatest and it's damn near impossible to remove the stuff once it cures.
Old 12-11-2007 | 01:52 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

I used a black marine caulk/adhesive that worked great.
Old 12-11-2007 | 02:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Porsche adhesive of course requires the Porsche specific gun, usually which the dealer only has access....as usual.

We used Urethane to attach it...its the stuff used to bond windshields to the body, its strong, aheres well and is designed to be cut (like when a windshield is removed). Seems to be holding well, you can't see it, and its economical (interesting word to be used with a Porsche).

cheers,

Mike
Old 12-11-2007 | 03:05 PM
mod4b
Advanced

whats the part # for the reinforcement rail ?
Old 12-11-2007 | 03:09 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mod4b
whats the part # for the reinforcement rail ?
993.512.777.00 reinforcement rail

Around $30 or so at the dealer...
Old 12-11-2007 | 04:25 PM
pezza
Racer

Here we go, most of what you are referring to is here including Photo's, should be all the info you need

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/312650-split-spoiler-part-number-needed.html

Quick Reply: Split grill reinforcement rail adhesive...