Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Question -- Am I Being Obsessive? (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"So it was only $650 for complete install and corner balance?"

Jason,
Those are his charges. And, he is fast. Only took about 5 1/2 hours. The local shop here in San Diego I was recommended wanted the car for two full days. I very strongly recommend Darin to anyone in the Socal area who needs work done.

Mark
Old 12-07-2007, 01:53 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense Mark, but you should have taken my recommendation for Mirage Intl to install your new suspension even if Jae needed your car for two days. They are in San Diego and would have saved you 12 hrs of driving and two days of down time for the same quality of work. Too bad that it seems you spent the two days anyway.

The other thing I don't understand is why the vendor didn't just call Jack @ Bilstien in Poway and get the correct shock direct??

Joel aka ZP44

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 12-07-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:06 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
No offense Mark, but you should have taken my recommendation for Mirage Intl to install your new suspension even if Jae needed your car for two days. They are in San Diego and would have saved you 12 hrs and two days of driving for the same quality of work. Too bad that it seems you spent the two days anyway.

The other thing I don't understand is why the vendor didn't just call Jack @ Bilstien in Poway and get the correct shock direct??

Joel aka ZP44
if the vendor was overseas bilstein i could see why... but yeah, they're great to deal w/on the phone & most helpful too (sent me some missing perch isolators for free). i think they would have traded the shock out for ya for nada.

& fwiw: darin is about as perfect (my experience) as a suspension a guru can get. so you get a free "before & after" drive... man i would have loved to have driven my car to s.d. after the install

again bol... pics?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool You need to search a little harder.....

If I wanted Suepension Work done in San Diego, I would go to Jae Lee at Mirage International in San Diego. It is owned and operated by Jae Lee with his ignoble side kick, "Slow Dave".

Jae's work is outstanding. He is one of the few people I have ever know who can do a correct kinematic toe (rear bump steer) adjustment on lowered cars. He installs suspensions all the time. I would say that a great majority of Autocross and Time Trial cars find their way into Jae's shot {With their drivers, of course}. There are other fine shops in San Diego as well...

Jae and Dave work on lots of race cars. In addition, Jae and Dave are long term supporters of PCA and POC. Drop by and say hello...you'll be impressed.

As far as suspension guys in LA, there are lots of great shops, too many to list. Go to www.porscheownersclub.org There on the Express Menu you will find a listing of LA shops where pre-track Technical Inspections are done. You'll find Johnnson" Alignment (Steve Alarcon), Hergesheimers, Game Face Motorsport, TRE, WERKS II, ...too many to list.

And as far as getting that miscreant shock/strut off your car, Get U Dun!
Old 12-07-2007, 04:36 PM
User 121721
Racer

Zombie (Joel),
I appreciate your assistance and input and I think you are a very nice guy, however I think personal recriminations regarding my not taking your advice etc would be more appropriately sent via pm or email and not posted on a public board.

I had very good reasons for selecting Darin at West End Alignment and he did not disappoint. Its no way a reflection on you or any shop you prefer, I'm sure they're awesome.

I started the thread to get feedback on what comes next rather than engaging in a "blame game" of who screwed up and how. Perhaps that was not clear to you when you read my initial post but that was my intent.

Mark
Old 12-07-2007, 05:09 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Scheurer
Zombie (Joel),
I appreciate your assistance and input and I think you are a very nice guy, however I think personal recriminations regarding my not taking your advice etc would be more appropriately sent via pm or email and not posted on a public board.

I had very good reasons for selecting Darin at West End Alignment and he did not disappoint. Its no way a reflection on you or any shop you prefer, I'm sure they're awesome.

I started the thread to get feedback on what comes next rather than engaging in a "blame game" of who screwed up and how. Perhaps that was not clear to you when you read my initial post but that was my intent.

Mark
Wow I am surprised by your response! After meeting you I would have thought you might have thicker skin than to be put off by my reply.

In no way was I stating you made a bad decision and there was some kind of blame to be assigned, I mearly thought you chose to do it the long way and ended up with the same result.

If you really feel I have offended you in some way because I discussed this on a public forum, then please accept my sincere apology for offending you and I promise I will no longer reply to any topics you post in this or any other forum.

And most important, please don't think I was in it for the $$ or a discount on future service since I have no business relationship with the shop I recommended beyond being a very happy customer & long time friend.

Best Wishes,
Joel Bowman aka ZP44

PS: The mention of Jack at Bilstein USA was just an idea for you & your vendor to explore.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

roflmao....

ok, so it was 650 bucks for 5.5 hours of work? thats 118 per hour. You spent 12 hours driving!!.....thats 1416. at the shops $$.....plus gas........and you spent two days of vacation?.....so .......how much did you save again?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 AM
User 121721
Racer

Zombie,
You have a pm. I'm not offended, I thought you were offended I didn't use your shop.

Mark
Old 12-08-2007, 09:07 AM
User 121721
Racer

roflmao....

ok, so it was 650 bucks for 5.5 hours of work? thats 118 per hour. You spent 12 hours driving!!.....thats 1416. at the shops $$.....plus gas........and you spent two days of vacation?.....so .......how much did you save again?

Phil, I haven't done any of these things yet. I'm on active duty in the Navy, I don't make very much so I have to find ways to save $$ when I can. Getting the suspension at all much less installing it was a budget-buster.

Its interesting, when I started this thread I wasn't asking for sympathy but rather ideas on whether going to the trouble of replacing the shock worth it. I never expected derision....

Mark

Quick Reply: Suspension Question -- Am I Being Obsessive? (Long)