Sponsored by:

Wheel Refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:08 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Refinishing

On my '95 993, I have the 17" cup wheels but unfortunately they have some scrapes from a bad encounter in a car wash (never again). I went through while out of town and gee am I sorry. I have been looking for a set of new cup wheels to replace them but have been reading about refinishing them. My mechanic gave me a business card a while back, for a company that comes to you and refinishes them on the spot. Has anyone had good luck with that sort of service. I am sure it would be more reasonable than new ones. Any luck with powder coating wheels and the durability of the finish? Thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I owned an on the car wheel repair company for a while. If the damage is purely cosmetic, than on the car repair is the best bet. It is very simple to repair and blend a lip or other damaged area. The color that Porsche uses on the "Cups" is actually pretty simple to match. I used to do all of our material purchasing from a company called Rightlook (rightlook.com). An airbrush works best with reasonably low pressure dry air (20-30psi.) It is a DIY if you have the right materials. Feel free to mail me with any questions.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:31 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Before you pay big bucks for refinishing, take a look at this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=37334
Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had 3 wheels refinished on my 993 and it was incredible--unless I point it out, you couldn't tell where it was refinished.

Here's a link with before/after's:

http://www.pbase.com/jlsphoto/wheel_repair
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Here's the diy I used on my 17s (before selling them). That Wurth silver wheel paint is a VERY good match.

http://www.robsaudiworld.com/wheelrepair.htm
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Powdercoating is very durable. Never had it done on car wheels but plenty of cycle wheels.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:36 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Whole Wheel Or Touchup?

I ordered and received a complete wheel refinishing kit from Grinot's Garage. I believe it ran about $60.00. The kit comes with a cleaner to remove wax and silicone tire dressing, a can of zinc primer, two cans of silver wheel paint, and two cans of lacquer clear coat. The kit instructions stated the kit will completely refinish four wheels. The instructions also recommend bead or walnut blasting the wheels before repainting. I don't think I will be able to get that done and will have to rely on sanding and/or steel wool.

My wheels had been painted by the previous owner after a tire installation gone bad and besides the outer edges of the wheels that are chipped, the area inside each lug nut holes needs repainting as well. I would like to refinish all four wheels entirely or as well as I can without removing the tires. A friend recommended only working the bad spots and blending the paint. Any suggestions or guidance on whether or not to go for the Full Monty or just a touch up. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 03:56 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Im going the full monty on one of my wheels - Ill let you know how it comes out. The wheel defects and rash were filled, I sanded those down, sanded the entire wheel and primered. I decided to do not only the face but the inside as well.

I will sand the primer down with 600 and start the wurth tonight...
Old 12-22-2007, 11:14 AM
quasr
Racer

Default Chickened Out

I will have to say that since my last posting, I chickened out and had my wheels done professionally. I initially started sanding on the worst one and found it was not easy to get at the chips near the tire. The company I went with breaks the bead on the tires and does a proper job of sanding and painting everything that can be seen.

My 993 is painted Artic Silver and I decided to have the wheels painted the same color. It will take a little time to get used to but I am happy with the refinish job. It was a touch decision at $125.00 per wheel as opposed to a $60.00 wheel kit.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:06 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Wheel Refinishing

Here are a few photos of the wheels after being professionally painted. I elected to have them painted Artic Silver as opposed to silver. I also picked up some permanent enamel paint and repainted the center caps. So far I am very pleased with the results. Happy Holidays my friends!
Attached Images     
Old 12-26-2007, 11:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have hollow spokes, make sure the wheel refinisher puts a plug into the valve stem hole during the sandblast (or equiv) process.
There was an interesting thread on Rennlist about a wheel that would not balance after refinishing....turns out the wheel was full of sand.....once emptied, it balanced perfectly.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Wheels

Thanks for the tip on the balancing problem inherent with sand blasting. Believe it or not, the whole process is done in an all equipped truck that arrives at your house. The truck is equipped with a device to drop the tire from the front wheel surface, a paint booth and heat lamps for baking the final product. I don't believe there was any sand or bead blasting done. Just hand sanding and putty as necessary. I had no curb rash for putty so I believe only sanding was required. Not cheap but truly a professional product.

I returned the refinishing kit I purchased just before Christmas. Definitely not cheaper but I believe the final product is better!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great!! Im in the process of finishing up the full monty on all 4 of my wheels. I filled all the rash and tire install defects from the past 13 years. I decided to go urethane as a clear coat versus the wurth enamel. I did not think the enamel finish is not as thick and as factory looking as the urethane. See Springers comments in this link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=32964

Quick Reply: Wheel Refinishing