Sponsored by:

Targa Disassembly Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm, sorry I meant the rubber strip around the back edge of the roof......I just checked my pictures and the strip appears to be glued in with the side window. A new roof (which I got from Porsche) does not have the side windows nor trim. Unfortunately I installed the roof myself but the glass guy at the body shop put in the side windows without me being there so I don't quite know how they are attached. On the parts diagram they are a seperate seal that looks like it wraps around the side window.

I don't know, you might have to take the side windows out of you really want to paint underneath this seal. Is there another way to paint it since you risk buggering up both the black trim on the side window and the rubber trim if you remove it? (for example, lifting the seal edge and painting underneath or?

On the windshield the outer rubber seal is a covering...it comes off. The windshield is glued/urethaned onto the windshield frame and this is the watertight seal. The windshield seal should some off for painting and check the lower right and left corners...often a place where water pools and rust starts.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 194 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for the info on the windshield covering, I am assuming that just pulls out?

On the side windows, they are urethaned in on four sides. The service manual shows that upper trim as "tucking" into the channel. I think the urethane moves and swells in the heat and likely has sealed it in place.

The lower metal/rubber combination trims suffered the same problem. I actually digged out the urethane to expose the three clips. I will pull the side windows if need be, that trim is tight to the paint and will be tough to work around. I have had all the inside trim out before so it won't be a big issue to pull it all again.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:27 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mike

I feel so much better in my choice of a Targa with you around
Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 PM
carrera79
Advanced

I changed the windshield also. what do you mean by "outer half of the front seal" ?
my targa is also ocean blue
the best color for a 993 I think
fred
Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
carrera79
Advanced

over the side windows, the seal has normaly no glue on it, as one side was removed easy, the other not : the seal broked because, you're right, the urethane moved under the seal !
for the lower aluminium trim, be carrefull when you pull out the rubber because you can brake the seal (very expensive because you cannot buy only the seal, it comes complet with the aluminium trim.
to renew the trim (wich is always oxydious (?), i removed all the paint, got a "anodisation" black, and after that a black paint not glossy. (sorry for the words )
fred
Old 12-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for all your help.

Car goes in Monday, all seals are out except side windows. I am going to pull the side windows and I ordered new upper seals for them.

The roof to cowl seal was a real PITA to remove and I am a little depressed as I cannot imagine putting a new seal in properly with the roof still on the car. Starting to regret my choice on removing that one.

One thing I did find interesting was how loose the main roof to cowl bolts were. They were nearly hand loose!!

Scared that my car will never be correct again. And to think I had no leaks!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hand tight is definitely loose. The lower mount bolts (M8 x 16 pan head screws) are 17ftlbs and the upper mount (M6x16 Allen Screws) is 7ft lbs. I am suprised it does not leak with it being hand tight. When you torque the front of the roof down, I found that I used a bit of locktite so the bolts stay tight...the lower's loosened enough on my car to squeak. I tightened them up again with a coat of locktite as well and they have remained quiet.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

She gets picked up tomorrow for the paint shop. Side windows are out, they were a bear, Porsche is not stingy with the urethane, especially in the corners. I have taken out a lot of autoglass, these rank right up there.

A coupe would have been worlds easier to disassemble. Everything TARGA related was where the difficulty came in. Assembly ought to be real fun. Should have taken more images along the way

Good news is, no rust....

Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Almost free from the paint shop, should be home next week. Now then fun part starts, reassembly

Its dusty in the pics, looks awesome in purpose. No paint lines.....

Quick Reply: Targa Disassembly Questions