Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Storage/Weekly Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so........which is it?? NO start or Start? seems to be people on both sides, and how would anyone know whats been done to the car for storage in its years before you ?

jason
Old 11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will tell you what I know from storing my 993 for over 6 month....

Had to replace both lower valve cover gaskets.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

This thread reminds me why I'm stuck in Cali the rest of my life.

Apparently "Global Warming" only melts ice in teh arctic??
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by midcont
i'm going to drive mine whenever the weather is clear and there is no salt on the road just to keep everything working.
in nj, it will typically rain as often as it snows which will wash the salt away.
+1
Old 11-26-2007, 03:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I will tell you what I know from storing my 993 for over 6 month....

Had to replace both lower valve cover gaskets.
OK, so in that case, would pulling the DME relay, cranking the car over until full oil presure is obtained, perhaps a few times, suffice in protecting the lower valve cover gaskets?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I find that if you just start the car and let it idle for 10-15 minutes it will actually drain the battery more. If the road condition does not allow the car to be driven you should at least sit in the car and rev the RPm to 3000 for 5-10 minutes for the alternator to turn at higher speed and to fully warm up the engine.

I do suggest that you start the engine at least once a week, this way it keep the oil circulating or else you will find yourself in need to replace the lower valve cover gasket come time to drive the car again. The seals will dry up and crack if they don't get any oil. Just make sure you have enough time to fully warm up the car each time you start her up.
Robin, I was under the impression that our cars really can't fully warm up unless they are driven, though maybe I've got this wrong.

Another consideration is the health of the cat. Brief startups can be really hard on your really expensive cat.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real wildcard in this scenerio is how long the car will be stored. I traditionally store my car starting December 1st and depending on road conditions bring it back out in mid March or early April. As such, my car is in storage for about four months. I pull the battery and prep it for winter. Knock on wood, I have had no issues with leaking gaskets, etc. I think anything over six months could create issues. Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

christ folks, not everyday is blizzard like.

Drive the things when the weather is clear. If you get some salt on it, wash it off, and rub the undercarriage with a diaper.

There is no need to "store" it.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I too store mine in the winter (NYC...I didn't when I was in SF). It basically doesn't see the light of day from December until about March or April.

+1 on most of above. I wash/Zaino, get the interior detailed (taking to Detailing Dynamics this time), put street tires back on (figure track tires might be too soft to sit), put on a battery maintainer, pump up the air to about 42 or something like that, and crack a window, store in gear but without brake on. I put in the anti-moisture stuff in the gas tank and make sure the tank is up to the cap full before putting her to bed.

I start it about once a month, but only if I have time to let it come up to temp. Otherwise I let her alone. I live in Manhattan and my garage is not close to my apt, so I don't always have time for that when I'm checking on her.

First drive of the season I get the tires back to normal, and I'm religious about not going above 4000 RPM until warm, then really blow her out once she gets hot. I run the tank down really low to get the anti-moisture stuff out.

Oh, I also put some moth ***** in the corners of the garage. The one I'm in now seems pretty tight, but I heard of someone not so lucky and had a mouse/nest get all gummed up. I also put a few on the floor near the inside of each wheel.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drive my car enough during the spring, summer, fall that I don't mind storing mine for the winter. Last year I put about 3.5k miles on my car. I really don't enjoy driving my car when it is cold. The summer tires feel greasy and I can't drive with the windows down to hear that flat six in all of its glory. Besides, anyone in Ohio and Michigan can attest to how much salt they put down during the winter. It is a lot. To each their own. I will continue to put 3-4k miles a year on my car and store it during the winter. T
Old 11-30-2007, 03:59 PM
M491
Racer

Put some fuel stablizer in the tank, pump the tires up to 40 lbs, but the battery on a trickle charger, and let it sit. Agree with the others, if you have to start it over the winter, do it on a day that you can drive it around to get it to full op temp.

If you don't have a trickle charger, you should get one. A good quality one (Schumacher, etc.) is only around $30-40, will last a lifetime, and will pay for itself in extended battery life.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage/Weekly Start Up