Sponsored by:

Winter Storage/Weekly Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter Storage/Weekly Start Up

I am not planning to drive my 993 in the winter. However, I can't really "mothball" it for the winter because there are other things I will need to access in my garage every week or so.

So, my plan is to start the car every week or so, and move it a few feet to get to what I anticipate needing in the garage. I suppose on a very clear day I may take it for a spin.

Anyone else follow a similar procedure in the winter? What are the pros and cons? For e.g., will the battery drain if I just start it, but don't drive it around? And, do you use a trickle charger if you are only starting it once a week or so?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:33 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I try to drive mine a few times every other week. My travel schedule is such that I am gone for two weeks a month, for a week at a time, but I have not had any problems with my battery losing it's charge. Of course a trickle charger/batter maintainer couldn't hurt, and I keep one on both my motorcycles, because they are likely to go longer between rides . . . especially in winter!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM
ste993
Pro

I too am not planning on driving mine much during the winter months but feel that the car will need to be taken for a decent drive every few weeks to keep things lubricated. I'm not sure it's good for the engine just to start it up and move it a few feet only during this time?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

I can tell you from experience with air cooled engines in aircraft that HUMIDITY is the biggest single item that prevents engines from reeaching TBO. (Time before overhaul) We routinely run engines at 75% or greater power settings, abuse them with thermal shocking descending too fast with power off, etc. Humidity kills. By running an engine only briefly and not getting the oil hot enough to boil off the water vapor is probably the worst thing for an engine IMHO.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

i'm going to drive mine whenever the weather is clear and there is no salt on the road just to keep everything working.
in nj, it will typically rain as often as it snows which will wash the salt away.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I am not planning to drive my 993 in the winter. However, I can't really "mothball" it for the winter because there are other things I will need to access in my garage every week or so.

So, my plan is to start the car every week or so, and move it a few feet to get to what I anticipate needing in the garage. I suppose on a very clear day I may take it for a spin.

Anyone else follow a similar procedure in the winter? What are the pros and cons? For e.g., will the battery drain if I just start it, but don't drive it around? And, do you use a trickle charger if you are only starting it once a week or so?
NO !!!!

If you start it, drive it (~25 miles) until EVERYTHING is up to full operating temperature; otherwise humidity will be your biggest problem (exhaust, oil, fuel tank).
If you have to move it occasionally, buy some wheel dollies and push it around, very easy to do.
Store it for the winter with a full fuel tank, cleaned, washed, waxed, fresh oil, overinflate tires (or TireCradles), covered, windows slightly cracked, trickle charger plugged in.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:39 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

LTC-- Perhaps I could rent the "top bunk" above your TT and pick it up when spring rolls around?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:53 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
NO !!!!

If you start it, drive it (~25 miles) until EVERYTHING is up to full operating temperature; otherwise humidity will be your biggest problem (exhaust, oil, fuel tank).
If you have to move it occasionally, buy some wheel dollies and push it around, very easy to do.
Store it for the winter with a full fuel tank, cleaned, washed, waxed, fresh oil, overinflate tires (or TireCradles), covered, windows slightly cracked, trickle charger plugged in.
+1.....exactly what I did last winter, and she started up like a charm in the spring and all was well.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rome
Thanks guys.

LTC-- Perhaps I could rent the "top bunk" above your TT and pick it up when spring rolls around?
Actually, the 996TT has the top bunk, which doesn't quite get it out of range of my wife's Saint Bernards' ability to drool and fling it up onto the car cover

The 968 Cab is underneath and the Cup car is next to them both.

I really need a bigger garage, away from the dogs.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree, either drive it a good long distance or don't start it...you have to burn off all the moisture.

One hint though...when the car has been sitting for a long time, before starting, I usually pull the DME relay and then crank the engine over until I get oil pressure....this makes sure there is lots of oil in the engine. Then I put back the relay and crank it up

I do this for anything over 2 weeks.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 AM
V
Rennlist Member

LTC and Mike: You say, IF you start it, make sure to heat cycle. If I store it in a warm dry place according to LTCs procedure, do I have to start it at all in let's say 6 months? Even if its better to heat cycle once of twice during this period, how bad is it not to start it at all?

Cheers
Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by vhanzon
LTC and Mike: You say, IF you start it, make sure to heat cycle. If I store it in a warm dry place according to LTCs procedure, do I have to start it at all in let's say 6 months? Even if its better to heat cycle once of twice during this period, how bad is it not to start it at all?

Cheers
My 996TT sat for 18 months after properly being prepared for storage in my heated garage.
When it was time to once again get behind the wheel, I pulled the fuse for the fuel pump, cranked the engine over until full oil pressure built up, cranked it again for full oil pressure, put the fuse back in, started it up and drove it out the driveway.
There is nothing that needs to be 'heat cycled' during storage IMHO
Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Do not start it. Store it and leave it...Starting it only introduces mositure into the engine. Unless you drive it,NOT idle, for 20-30 minutes you are doing more harm than good.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rome,

Aren't you in the Boston area? I am and drive my 993 year-round as long as there's no snow & ice on the roads. Even during the very high snow year we had a few years ago I think the max interval between drives was at most 7 days.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I find that if you just start the car and let it idle for 10-15 minutes it will actually drain the battery more. If the road condition does not allow the car to be driven you should at least sit in the car and rev the RPm to 3000 for 5-10 minutes for the alternator to turn at higher speed and to fully warm up the engine.

I do suggest that you start the engine at least once a week, this way it keep the oil circulating or else you will find yourself in need to replace the lower valve cover gasket come time to drive the car again. The seals will dry up and crack if they don't get any oil. Just make sure you have enough time to fully warm up the car each time you start her up.

Quick Reply: Winter Storage/Weekly Start Up