Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross-post: went looking for a farm today, and instead "found" a deer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by max911
If the bodyshop inspection calls for a new roof, I can't see why you couldn't put a non-sunroof top and headliner through insurance.
And would cost less as well. I presume.

Andreas
Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank God you're OK. You are lucky that the windshield and animal didn't end up in your lap!
Best wishes for a speedy and quality repair to your car.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Just thank God you didn't hit the deer with the Focus!!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say I'm really impressed with the way the windshield glass was designed on that car. The plastic layer saved my finely chiseled features and probably kept that buck from coming through.

I will be insisting on genuine Porsche glass if they are going to go ahead with the repair.

I may also talk to the insurance company about the sunroof delete. Hell, it would save THEM money and result in a slightly stiffer and lighter car. The idea has merit on many levels, and a bureaucratic "rule" shouldn't ever stand in the way of doing the right thing.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a nightmare! Glad you didn't get hurt at least.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to here about the hit! We live in SE WI and my wife and I each have a deer hit. This time of year is the worst. Hope you canget her fixed soon.
Jim
Old 11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
The Full Monte
Cruisin'

Default You have Options...

All Body shops write an estimate for the insurance company before they approve repairs. You should ask the shop or the insurance adjustor to see this estimate. This way you can determine what repairs are going to be made and if they are going to use any aftermarket and or salvage parts. The estimate will also show how close it comes to a Total Loss as indicated by the %ACV value. Unfortunately, this is usually against Blue/Red book values depending on the estimating system used.

Most likely, they will use aftermarket glass and glass mouldings in the repair. You can always insist on OEM glass with the Porsche brand 'label' but this is up to you. If you ever sell the car, some buyers may look for the OEM brand lebels. If they try to Total Loss your vehicle, depending on the insurance company, you could make a case for repair - especially if after a TL market valuation, the amount to replace turns out to be much higher than estimated repair costs. You may be able to play it either way depending on whether on not you want to keep the car.

PS - I'm not an insurance or body shop guy but I work in the industry. I've seen the entire roof of a Cavalier peeled right off the car in a moose it. Thank the stars that it was a deer.

Good luck.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a hit that must have been, glad you did not get hurt, or worse yet, run off the road in the process. I see deer everyday in my neck of the woods. I wish we could lower the population of these critters by allowing the hunters to take more of them during hunting season. We have so many deer in central Tx's that you don't even want to be out at night in the country. I had a good scare this am going to work with a big buck,, the little booger was close enough to see the hairs in his nose. Hope you don't total the car and get it back on the road.
Meanwhile, get a big truck and go deer hunting!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about the car but glad you are OK.....did you at least dress out the deer and have a few venison steaks?.......ZP44
Old 11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow! Glad you're ok. Car looks to be repairable. Another testament to the tank nature of these cars!!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Full Monte
All Body shops write an estimate for the insurance company before they approve repairs. You should ask the shop or the insurance adjustor to see this estimate. This way you can determine what repairs are going to be made and if they are going to use any aftermarket and or salvage parts. The estimate will also show how close it comes to a Total Loss as indicated by the %ACV value. Unfortunately, this is usually against Blue/Red book values depending on the estimating system used.

Most likely, they will use aftermarket glass and glass mouldings in the repair. You can always insist on OEM glass with the Porsche brand 'label' but this is up to you. If you ever sell the car, some buyers may look for the OEM brand lebels. If they try to Total Loss your vehicle, depending on the insurance company, you could make a case for repair - especially if after a TL market valuation, the amount to replace turns out to be much higher than estimated repair costs. You may be able to play it either way depending on whether on not you want to keep the car.

PS - I'm not an insurance or body shop guy but I work in the industry. I've seen the entire roof of a Cavalier peeled right off the car in a moose it. Thank the stars that it was a deer.

Good luck.
I took the car to Raymond Auto body here in St Paul for a reason. They've got the best rep in town, I've never heard anybody say anything bad about the quality of their work or their ethics. And I have already specified: Porsche parts ONLY.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh noo...sorry to see that! Glad you are OK, it could have gone through the window instead of hitting the frame and it would have been a different outcome I'm afraid.

As others have said, I don't think that much damage would call for the insurance company to total the car. Another rennlister had a mishap with the lift crushing the roof in the garage and IIRC it was close to $10K to fix.

Sunroof and gutter delete time!

Last edited by cabrio993; 11-12-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thad, glad you're OK.

Now, on to the deer... I hope you killed the f@cker... it's a Karma thing...
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM
The Full Monte
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
I took the car to Raymond Auto body here in St Paul for a reason. They've got the best rep in town, I've never heard anybody say anything bad about the quality of their work or their ethics. And I have already specified: Porsche parts ONLY.
Thaddeus,

I am not questioning the quality or ethics of the shop involved. I am sure that they are very reputable and will do an excellent job. It will be the insurance company that you should be wary of. The only way to be certain before they begin work is to check the estimate - I assure you that one exists and it is the one the insurance company approves. You can specify Porsche parts but they can still use salvage Porsche parts and section your roof panel if that is what's required. If you insist on Porsche glass, make sure you check for it on the estimate and then make sure that the Porsche OEM glass label appears on the 'bug' on the bottom left hand side of the windshield. Unfortunately, it is the insurance company which approves the work and it is usually the shop which must comply. No shop will loose money by putting in OEM glass when the insurance company only approves and pays for aftermarket - otherwise you may end up paying the difference on 'betterment'. OEM glass may be, and usually is, much more than aftermarket even though they may be made by the same manufacturer on the same production line.

Just trying to help you out...better safe than sorry.

Monte
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad you are OK. That had to be pretty scary. Sorry about your car. Sounds like it can b e fixed if the panel fit is still good.
Best of luck with the car.
chuck

Quick Reply: Cross-post: went looking for a farm today, and instead "found" a deer.