Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cross-post: went looking for a farm today, and instead "found" a deer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cross-post: went looking for a farm today, and instead "found" a deer.

Today I was out looking for acreage, and on Highway 46 just North of Amery, Wisconsin, had a big buck decide to try to vault over my car. I was only going about 55 when I saw him and hit the brakes, but probably hit him about 50. I closed my eyes as I hit, which was a good thing, since I was covered in powdered glass... he missed the hood except for a little indentation, took off the mirror, bent the pillar a little, shattered the glass, and royally screwed up the roof.

Lots of powdered glass everywhere...

Amazing I wasn't hurt, really. The car shuddered in the damndest way when it took the force of impact.

The Deputy told me he'd already been to 4 deer hits today since his shift started at 7:00. Mine happened about 10.... "my" buck apparently was able to run off, since neither I nor the Deputy could see him anywhere around. I'm sure he's panting his life out in some cornfield somewhere... bastard.

It may be structural. They may total my car.

So now she sits at Raymond Auto Body, after a long ride with the flatbed guy back to Saint Paul.

And I'm now driving a ****ty rental Ford Focus.

This is going to be a long few weeks even if they decide to replace the roof and put her back together....
Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank God your safe, it could have been much worse.

Good luck with the car, whether repaired or replaced. I share your sentiments about the Ford Focus. We ended up with my daughter's Focus for about three months. It is truly a pretty crappy car (sorry to the Ford enthusiasts out there).

Best wishes.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm so sorry!

That's my nightmare. Lots of woods around here and they come out of nowhere.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
I share your sentiments about the Ford Focus. We ended up with my daughter's Focus for about three months. It is truly a pretty crappy car (sorry to the Ford enthusiasts out there).
I'm unsure an audience exists for your apologies.

As for the deer victim...blurg! I suppose solace should be taken that you weren't harmed personally. A 50 mph collision could have ended up a lot worse...although with a totaled car, I'm not sure life would be worth living.

I kid, of course. Hope things get sorted out quickly.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:17 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

glad you're ok. if you're so inclined, this would be an opportunity to delete the sunroof at zero cost
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Thaddeus,
Holy shyte! Glad you're fine. I've been through that before, although my deer strike occurred at about 80 mph in a previous car. Very, very nerve-wracking.

I see no reason to total your 993. Roof panels, windshield frames, glass, etc are all available. Check out the PET for some parts diagrams.

Andreas
Old 11-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dbf73
glad you're ok. if you're so inclined, this would be an opportunity to delete the sunroof at zero cost
LOL, I already talked to the bodyshop guy about the possibility... he said the insurance company won't allow a 'mod' during a repair, more's the pity...

But it shows my wits aren't all gone, since I at least asked...
Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to see that, and like everyone else said, it's a lot easier to fix cars than people. Too bad you didn't get some venison, a few pairs of fur mittens, and a nice garage trophy out of the deal.

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I see no reason to total your 993.
Same here. The key thing to check is the panel gaps. Are the doors and decklid still aligned perfectly? Do they still operate perfectly? If so, it's almost guaranteed that the unibody didn't get bent, especially being that the deer hit the roof of your car, as opposed to an accident, say, involving an impact to a wheel, which tranfers energy through the suspension and into the body.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Noah
Sorry to see that, and like everyone else said, it's a lot easier to fix cars than people. Too bad you didn't get some venison, a few pairs of fur mittens, and a nice garage trophy out of the deal.

Same here. The key thing to check is the panel gaps. Are the doors and decklid still aligned perfectly? Do they still operate perfectly? If so, it's almost guaranteed that the unibody didn't get bent, especially being that the deer hit the roof of your car, as opposed to an accident, say, involving an impact to a wheel, which tranfers energy through the suspension and into the body.
That's encouraging. All doors and hatches open and close the same as before... even sound the same. Maybe I'll get lucky... I do so love that car.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Aaaaaarrrrrggghhh! So not pretty. Glad you didn't get hurt, Thaddeus. That is some very bizarre damage. Good luck with the repair/settlement.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
LOL, I already talked to the bodyshop guy about the possibility... he said the insurance company won't allow a 'mod' during a repair
Um...I believe you are the owner of the vehicle, not the insurance company.
You are "the decider." Find a new body guy.
Glad you're okay though. Car held up well, considering.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:21 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All doors and hatches open and close the same as before... even sound the same.
Then you're probably fine. I wouldn't expect that kind of hit to bend the body. It's still going to be a big repair bill (and red is a very hard color to match, as it changes color as it ages), but the car certainly isn't a total.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Damm..ur lucky, ..I'm not even in the country and there were FOUR in my neighbors yard yesterday.

Ah...DC folks becareful on your fun run this coming weekend in upper county.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

LOL, I already talked to the bodyshop guy about the possibility... he said the insurance company won't allow a 'mod' during a repair, more's the pity...

But it shows my wits aren't all gone, since I at least asked...
if you are inclined to go that route, just get Raymond to write it up as a straight repair of a sunroof, the ins. co writes the check for that amount and then Raymond does what YOU want.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:51 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

The fact that the 993's windshield is adhered to the window frame instead of floating in a rubber seal like earlier 911s, may have helped save you from injury. (and from having to get that pesky deer off of your lap)

If the bodyshop inspection calls for a new roof, I can't see why you couldn't put a non-sunroof top and headliner through insurance.

Quick Reply: Cross-post: went looking for a farm today, and instead "found" a deer.