Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Dollar dropping against Euro...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:36 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toga- be sure to bring your family and friends next time...... buy lots of things in the electronics stores in NYC.....

we need help with the deficit!!!!!
Old 11-10-2007, 02:34 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

Thats about the only good thing about the dollar right now. It has shown to close the deficit a little. Maybe if China would quit cheating now we might be able to close the deficit a bit more. Its an errie feeling looking at a C-note on my desk and knowing its losing value as I gaze at.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:53 PM
supergrass
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's funny, I asked about this subject a while back questioning how recession and dropping dollar would effect our 993 values. In any event, I am selling my wifes SL500 and a guy flew in from canada two days ago to buy it because of the premium he says canadians pay for rust free cars and the discount from the dropping dollar. He is getting almost a 10% discount when you compare the canadian to US dollar. You will see very soon alot of 993's being shipped over seas if the dollar keeps free falling at the rate it is.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:55 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skruggs964
993 Pilot...no offense, but I don't think you'll find many Canucks that would like that idea very much. We'd lose our Canadian identity....and just become the 51st state.....
It is just currency, not governing and it seems to work in Europe. With that said, I am not a big fan of the idea either, just reporting what I heard on the news.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The falling dollar ( and it will continue) will eventiually make all imports much more expensive. Althought the price of gas in Europe is high, due mainly to taxes, it really has not gone up much over the last several years. The reason it has gone up so much in the US ( and will continue) is because what we use to pay for it keeps going down in value. The US market has been important to Porsche over the years but with the continuously falling US dollar and the increasing amounts that people in other parts of the world are willing to pay for Porsches, they will need to make some important decisions in the future ( because I do not think they are going to increase production capacity). This should put upward pressure on the prices for new Porsches in the US. On the other hand, if money is tight in the US ( or other parts of the world), prices may soften for new and, used, Porsches.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Canadian perspective

Located in Montreal, it's one eerie feeling when then CAD this week hit $1.10 US. This is a significant risk factor to both economies (US as importers, and certainly the Canadian mfg industry), but from a consumer perspective this is unbelievable for those lucky enough to be in the market:

I bought my 993 2 years ago and paid $50K CAD. It was a US car that had been previously imported, and I was comparing it strictly with other US cars available at the time, as I was ready to import one myself.

With the F/X rate back then, and including import costs, that was equivalent to buying a US car in the high 30's. At the time, I considered that a fair price for a 'perfect' 1997 coupe with 16K miles...

Today, the dramatic rise in purchasing power almost makes me wish I'd waited. First, my US model has no doubt depreciated on account of all the cars now being brought over cheaper. Further, there are some amazing choices to be had in the 70K US range... GT3's, 993 turbos, etc.

Might just take advantage and add another to the garage!

Matt
Old 11-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Located in Montreal, it's one eerie feeling when then CAD this week hit $1.10 US. This is a significant risk factor to both economies (US as importers, and certainly the Canadian mfg industry), but from a consumer perspective this is unbelievable for those lucky enough to be in the market:

I bought my 993 2 years ago and paid $50K CAD. It was a US car that had been previously imported, and I was comparing it strictly with other US cars available at the time, as I was ready to import one myself.

With the F/X rate back then, and including import costs, that was equivalent to buying a US car in the high 30's. At the time, I considered that a fair price for a 'perfect' 1997 coupe with 16K miles...

Today, the dramatic rise in purchasing power almost makes me wish I'd waited. First, my US model has no doubt depreciated on account of all the cars now being brought over cheaper. Further, there are some amazing choices to be had in the 70K US range... GT3's, 993 turbos, etc.

Might just take advantage and add another to the garage!

Matt
Matt - are U.S. spec cars 'ok' in Canada. In other words is there a market for them if they are available?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi
Toga- be sure to bring your family and friends next time...... buy lots of things in the electronics stores in NYC.....

we need help with the deficit!!!!!
Done! But I'd like to tell that there's one shop lining up for the gold medal in solving the deficit: "Broadway Computer and Video". They tried to sell me a Motorola cell phone at 300$ where the normal price tag was around 130!!! Never mind, they still have it

Next time I'll cross the Pond, I 'd like to make the Blues Highway from Louisiana to Chicago...
Old 11-11-2007, 11:17 PM
RSRee
Advanced

Marlon: The only modification a 993 requires for entry into Canada are Daytime Runnings Lights (DRL)

Having bought a 993 in the US a couple of months ago, I could have saved about 3-4 grand had I waited until now ...

Quick Reply: Dollar dropping against Euro...