Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I want this sound!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:36 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do believe Lee actually removed this setup because of the noise it created. Although very race like it was also too much to bare when driving around town or inhabited places. Lee and I were actually supposed to be accomplishing some type of similar experiment with my 987S. His username is: Leland Pate
Old 11-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
I do believe Lee actually removed this setup because of the noise it created. Although very race like it was also too much to bare when driving around town or inhabited places. Lee and I were actually supposed to be accomplishing some type of similar experiment with my 987S. His username is: Leland Pate
I did try and E-mail him a few times to confirm the exact set up he runs but had no replies, luckily there was enough knowledge around here to sort me out.

As for the noise, I have very understanding neighbours, they've had to be, as I have owned a few very loud Porsches in the past!!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:22 PM
baron95993
Pro

That was great!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Leland Pate
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Youtube has some sort of glitch where I always get emails (about that video) and when I hit reply I get an error message. I finally gave up and just quit trying.

I miss that car.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Leucadia
Racer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrYVjkqrUM

Have you heard this 993 beast? Children will run away screaming.....
Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Personally, I don't like any of them. The "natural" original sound of virtually any 911 air cooled engine is unique as it came from the factory. It seems to be a cross between a dieseling sound, and a high pitched wail. It is unmistakable from even a half mile away.

My wife knows when I've entered our neighborhood long before I arrive home.

These sounds are simliar to an American V8 with a radical cam. Sort of a lumpy idle. It doesn't sound like a Porsche at all.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 AM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

+1
Old 03-05-2010, 08:53 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
Personally, I don't like any of them. The "natural" original sound of virtually any 911 air cooled engine is unique as it came from the factory. It seems to be a cross between a dieseling sound, and a high pitched wail. It is unmistakable from even a half mile away.

These sounds are simliar to an American V8 with a radical cam. Sort of a lumpy idle. It doesn't sound like a Porsche at all.
Originally Posted by J.A.W.S.
+1
But I like making my Porsche sound like a Gand-Am/American Le Mans Porsche...

Old 03-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Strega(UK)
My car is a 1990 so no probs with not having a cat. I'm not sure the people that do the test at my nearest MOT station have a clue what mine is supposed to read anyway!!!!!

Shopping list so far is; 1) Pair of 993 heat exchangers

2)Pair of stock mufflers( i will LPMM them )

3)A lot of tubing to fabricate the heater ducts!

4)Some brackets to hold mufflers in place

5)2 tail pipes, one stealth, one standard

Does anyone think I have missed anything????
Am I missing something? If you own a 964, there are simple exhaust mods that will make your car sound much better than a 993. Why would you want to go to a 993 exhaust when all you'll be doing is adding weight in the rear to end up with a sound that, IMO, is sub par to what is achievable with the 964 setup?

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
It all depends on the size of the tubing. I did the LPMM to my first 993 using 1" pipe (most use 2" or 2.5") and it sounded fantastic. About the same volume as the factory's Motorsound package or ever so slightly louder but with a great note.

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy

I agree fully. That's what I liked about the LPMM setup. When used with 1" or 1.5" tubing, it retains that very distinctive, high-pitched whine. Its just slightly louder and "fuller" if you will.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I fitted Carnewall 100 cell cat inserts to an otherwise standard exhaust, and it is quite a lot louder and harder edge sounding. Also if you leave the undertray off it makes a difference. My neighbour complained the other day when I left the car idling for 10 minutes. She lives 2 houses away and said she could not hear her radio in her kitchen.

Berni

Quick Reply: I want this sound!!