Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Ever clayed a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Terry, I clayed my windshield on a whim and really didn't perceive any major benefits, nor any detriments for that matter. Maybe my technique was poor, but I don't plan on doing it again.

However, I am planning on trying the Porter Cable on it - some say this is fraught with danger, but just kissing it a bit with a fine pad and polish might help it . Mine is a fairly evenly pitted windshield (original Sigla glass), so any marginal improvement is worth the risk.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:03 PM
T Rip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, be careful with the electric polisher on the windshield. The heat build-up can crack the glass fairly quickly.

FWIW, I used work in the windshield glass industry. Those pits may fill-in by using waxes or silicone products, but the effect is temporary. Some glass is very soft and can be scratched by products with even a little abrasive. While you may get the water stains off, the resulting spider web of light scratches won't be apparent until you are driving into the sun.

To remove water stains, try soapy water with a few drops of white vinegar.

Rainx works fine when you first apply it, but after it wears down you end-up with a thin coating of water and useless wipers. imho, skip the rainx.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Thanks guys...Surely with all of these ideas I can start with the least intense and work up to a clean piece of glass.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
KeithR3
Pro

I did it all the time with my C4S. It helped in between washes. I would clay every other month.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Randy 1
Racer

Funny, I clay the glass and use steel wool on the metal bits for that classic DeLorean look!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I clay the windshield, the tires, and the brake rotors.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:16 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Maineiac
and little dinks it works fine. I do mine once a year.

Al

Sorry, I could not resist!

I clay my windshields as well, gets some of the gunk off, it does not scratch the glass...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T Rip
Ed, be careful with the electric polisher on the windshield. The heat build-up can crack the glass fairly quickly.

FWIW, I used work in the windshield glass industry. Those pits may fill-in by using waxes or silicone products, but the effect is temporary. Some glass is very soft and can be scratched by products with even a little abrasive. While you may get the water stains off, the resulting spider web of light scratches won't be apparent until you are driving into the sun.

To remove water stains, try soapy water with a few drops of white vinegar.

Rainx works fine when you first apply it, but after it wears down you end-up with a thin coating of water and useless wipers. imho, skip the rainx.
+1
I was also in the Auto Glass industry and agree. In the late 80's we used an electric buffer and an emery (I think that's right) wheel with some type of highly abrasive polish. It did remove scratches but would cause visible distortion, like looking through a bad tempered glass door at the grocery store. We also used fine steel wool to remove water spots and I could never tell if it scratched. As a mater of fact I have the 0.000000, can't remember the number of zeros, wool and use it now for spots. Just use gloves (ask me how I know). Don't use the wool on the w/s and then wax the paint after. Always wash first. Tiny wool fibers float in the air and land on the paint and could scratch the paint when touched.
OT: I have a cracked W/S now and will be posting pics of the install soon.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BufordTJ
+1
I was also in the Auto Glass industry and agree. In the late 80's we used an electric buffer and an emery (I think that's right) wheel with some type of highly abrasive polish. It did remove scratches but would cause visible distortion, like looking through a bad tempered glass door at the grocery store. We also used fine steel wool to remove water spots and I could never tell if it scratched. As a mater of fact I have the 0.000000, can't remember the number of zeros, wool and use it now for spots. Just use gloves (ask me how I know). Don't use the wool on the w/s and then wax the paint after. Always wash first. Tiny wool fibers float in the air and land on the paint and could scratch the paint when touched.
OT: I have a cracked W/S now and will be posting pics of the install soon.
Hmm...I will reconsider...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:01 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C O O L on the clay windshield treatment. I actually would like to try it on the inside of the windshield since I have some slpooge that will NOT come off even with wadded newspaper & a little vinegar water. Everything I use just smears it around.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C O O L on the clay windshield treatment. I actually would like to try it on the inside of the windshield since I have some slpooge that will NOT come off even with wadded newspaper & a little vinegar water. Everything I use just smears it around.
Try a big wad of spit. Works every time.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by black ice
Try a big wad of spit. Works every time.
I think that's what it is!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

If you remove anything more than surface stains and dirt, you are either scratching or changing the optical properties of the glass. You will be staring at your mistake everytime you get behind the wheel. I personally would stay away from any abrasive. If you have stains or spots that do not come off, try denatured alcohol or a professional degreaser.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm suprised that no one has presented this ...... Bon Ami cleanser. I use it to cut thru everything on the glass - dirt, oils, even Rain-X. Just rinse it off afterwards and you have a squeaky-clean windshield. (I then reapply Rain-X, and my 17years of pitting on the windshield disappear)
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Franklin229
If you remove anything more than surface stains and dirt, you are either scratching or changing the optical properties of the glass. You will be staring at your mistake everytime you get behind the wheel. I personally would stay away from any abrasive. If you have stains or spots that do not come off, try denatured alcohol or a professional degreaser.
I like the deantured alkie treatment - I'll try that first. I donlt have enough bacon grease on my windshield for the Bon Ami though!

Quick Reply: OT: Ever clayed a windshield?