Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 ^^
you'll wish you had it once its gone
Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont drive mine any more or less when my son was born 2 years ago. Is the significant other putting pressure on you? I was confronted by several people and the saying was "I suppose since your having a kid, your getting rid of the Porsche" Never did quite why some people think like that. Of course I wear my own belt and buy and drive whatever I feel like it. Its been that way my whole life so why change now. Yes, my priorities have changed some and my kid has a college fund that will be very pleased with in about 16 years. I even have a little stash account set up for him to go visit the world when he is older. Its a travel fund because life is too short and the world is big so go experience it.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Imracerx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I have decided to keep the p-car. Thank you rennlist for getting my head back on straight. I can't believe that I was even thinking about selling. Well I am going to be having a little girl and this will be the car that I will bring her out in for daughter and dad date. Thanks again Rennlist, by the way I will be renew my membership......

Last edited by Imracerx; 11-07-2007 at 09:43 PM. Reason: error
Old 11-07-2007, 10:01 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good. Now sign up for the thing at Tony's. I look forward to meeting you on the 1st and planning the finer points of daddy-daughter drives!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 211 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Imracerx
Ok, I have decided to keep the p-car. Thank you rennlist for getting my head back on straight. I can't believe that I was even thinking about selling. Well I am going to be having a little girl and this will be the car that I will bring her out in for daughter and dad date. Thanks again Rennlist, by the way I will be renew my membership......
GREAT call.... A girl .... I happy for you and the wife.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome decision!

I have 2 daughters. One is 6 and the other almost 3. They both LOVE to ride on Daddy's car. The oldest one asks to take the Porsche whenever I'm taking her some place. If the weather is nice, I put the top down. I can see her on my rear view mirror, her little smile and her eyes lost on the trees and scenery passing by. This is the stuff that dreams are made of. She even loves the way it smells she says.

Also, when they are just babies, you'll find yourself doing a lot of errands to go to buy diapers and formula, which usually runs out at the least expected moment. Believe me, you'll go and get it with a smile on your 993.

You made the right decision and congratulations on the baby. Girls rule!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:26 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Daughters

Wow, this is really turning into a love-your-daugher thread... thought I'd jump in too. I've got an 18-month old who also loves the p-car. We also have another gal on the way in early March.

Who says this car isn't a versatile family car.....
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! We just had our first less than two weeks ago (a girl) and I'm keeping both of mine...my wife says I should hurry up and also get that 993 turbo I've been wanting before she changes her mind
Old 11-08-2007, 11:43 AM
clipstone
Instructor

Good call mate ... many congrats by the way to you and your lady
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Good call.

In a fit of boring, practical lunacy, I sold my then '89 Carrera when my first daughter was born seven and a half years ago. Within six months, I was going through withdrawal and bought a 993.

My two daughters BEG to take the "Por-sha" when we go anywhere. Kids and Porsches were meant for each other. I also have a two month old son, and the idea of denying him the opportunity to grow up with a 911, like his big sisters did, is now considered a form of sacrilege in my house.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Only problem with the kids is they quickly get too big for the back seats....my two girls rode in 911's all their lives, now that they are 13 and 16 they are just too big for the rear. This means I can only take one at the time. I remember our family outings when they were younger, all four of us would hop into the 911 (a 83SC at the time) and go for a drive...it was fun to watch people's faces when all four of us would get out of that little car, now **sigh**, it usually just me or my wife if we go out alone...

However, my oldest daughter's very good friend (who is femail and 16) turns out to be Porsche nut and goes nuts if she gets a chance to ride in the 993. The first ride I gave her (with my daughter crammed in the back) she talked about for the next 4 hours, definitely someone who is likely to own one when she grows up....its almost built into the DNA!

Enjoy the little ones while they are small enough for the back seats...and here's a hint : the warmth and vibration from the engine puts them to sleep really well!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-08-2007, 12:35 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I love a happy ending.

My daughter and I enjoy drives in my pcar. We leave her husband at home and she drives (she'll be 26 years old next month).
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 PM
vaughan 88 911
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 3 1/2 month old baby at home. Yet, it's nice to get away from the house and make a "quick" run to the store and get more baby formula in the Porsche.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts

Nice!! I bought my first p-car (993) 2 months after my second daught was born. My oldest daughter (5yrs) absolutely LOVES riding in the 993 (she refers to it as the 2-door). It's great dad/daughter time to run errands in the car. My wife encouraged me to buy it ado a little something for myself. Once you have kids, you realize you have very little if anything that you every do for yourself anymore. Having the ride of your life to and from work each day is a nice way to find that time.

I've also had the whole family out for a cruise a little tight, but we got the infant seat and Britax booster in for the ride.

Best wishes to you!!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wonderful decision and one you will most certainly not regret. I purchased mine just after my second daughter turned two. Absloute best decision I ever made. Father and daughter bonding on a consistent weekly basis. We just got back from ice cream this evening!

A trip in the P-Car for my little girls is a magical treat and they are at the age that money/status/all the BS people associate with POs is not even in their consciousness. They just know there is this fun, loud, bullet shaped rocket they get to ride in, and absolutely love it, and those Supercups! (Thanks to Chuck W.!) They enjoy it for the exact same reasons I do. A purely visceral thing.

Must say though, it feels kind of awkward when in a crowd walking and a Porsche drives by and my littlest since the age of 3, would scream out "Porsche, just like yours Daddy! Porsche!" This actually would happen when any car remotely resembling a sports car would drive by. Now it is just reserved for the real thing. One get's all sorts of funny looks, as if "What ideas are you filling that poor child's head with, what values?!." Ha! It's all about the ride, the sound, the smell, and she knows it! Definitely in their DNA. I'm blessed and very grateful.

Quick Reply: Having a baby, Selling the 993 :(