WTB: Cobalt blue C4S with tan/light interior

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default WTB: Cobalt blue C4S with tan/light interior

I am currently in the market for a "babied" 993 as described above. I would love it to be heavily modified particularly for sound. Any advice or leads would be great. Midnight blue is way too dark. Iris blue is a decent second color. Never seen Ocean blue but I think it is also on the dark side. Thanks!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Shades of blue available??

Are these the only shades of blue available for a 993? I found a Targa available in Zenith Blue, but it does not appear that Cobalt Blue was an option.

Riviera Blue
Midnight Blue Metallic
Iris Blue Metallic
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is Ocean Blue too, and there is one (with a tan (cashmere) interior) listed for sale in the one of the threads below for what looks like a good price.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=34752
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I have only seen 993TT's in Cobalt blue. With one cab being the exception. I always keep my eyes open for it because it is my favorite of Porsche colors as you might have guessed. The Cobalt made today for the 997's is a different color than the earlier Cobalt. It is more like Zenith than the Cobalt on my 94. It also doesn't change colors the same way. Although still a very nice color. I have not seen the 993's in cobalt in person an do not know if they had changed the formula before or after the introduction of the 996. IIRC Cobalt was dropped in 1993 and might have been added later or it was custom ordered.

Ocean and Midnight are very similar although Midnight changes color to a dark purple in the sunlight and Ocean does not. As far as other blues Iris is a very nice color and is a bit lighter than Midnight or Ocean although a dark color.

Good Luck finding a cobalt C4S as you may be searching for a long time.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:02 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Ocean and Midnight are very similar although Midnight changes color to a dark purple in the sunlight and Ocean does not.
Actually, it is the other way around. Ocean looks more purple/light blue in the sunlight.

You can get an idea of how th elight changes the color of ocean blue in the pictures I posted here:

Old 10-30-2007, 12:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
Actually, it is the other way around. Ocean looks more purple/light blue in the sunlight.

You can get an idea of how th elight changes the color of ocean blue in the pictures I posted here:

Not with the cars I am familiar with. Unless again the formula has changed for these colors. I have a friend with a 94 turbo and a 95 993 in midnight and they are both pearl effect paints. They look either black dark blue or deep deep purple in the sunlight. i have never seen Ocean listed as a Pearl effect paint and the 996's I have seen in it does not change color like the pearl effect paints do. Cobalt, Midnight, Iris,Amazon are all Pearl paints.

I agree Ocean or any of the blues are great colors but here is a sample of what I i mean by changing colors. It is not a slight gradient change but a complete chameleon like change in color.

Cobalt in its many different colors.

And yes it does look like all these colors depending on the light it also gets more pink looking than the last picture in low setting sunlight.
Attached Images      
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Not with the cars I am familiar with. Unless again the formula has changed for these colors. I have a friend with a 94 turbo and a 95 993 in midnight and they are both pearl effect paints. They look either black dark blue or deep deep purple in the sunlight. i have never seen Ocean listed as a Pearl effect paint and the 996's I have seen in it does not change color like the pearl effect paints do. Cobalt, Midnight, Iris,Amazon are all Pearl paints.

I agree Ocean or any of the blues are great colors but here is a sample of what I i mean by changing colors. It is not a slight gradient change but a complete chameleon like change in color.

Cobalt in its many different colors.

And yes it does look like all these colors depending on the light it also gets more pink looking than the last picture in low setting sunlight.
What meet was that in Pic #4? That's where my office is (no...not TCBY)...Harmon Meadow.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Blade: Wrong side of the pond but this might be EXACTLY what you are looking for:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/279415.htm No affil..

Its quite a coincidence because when I first read your post I thought to myself, OMG that would be a nice combo but a pristine C4S in cobalt with light interior... good luck.. There might be like 10 cars out there with those specs.. And 2mins later I came across this ad. I have never before seen any 993 in cobalt except for this stunning US spec. 993 Turbo-S that I saw here on RL a couple of months back:

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arrwin
What meet was that in Pic #4? That's where my office is (no...not TCBY)...Harmon Meadow.
Really didn't realize. I am in Hoboken all day long drive buy twice a day. This was about a year ago Art a local guy ran it.

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Blade: Wrong side of the pond but this might be EXACTLY what you are looking for:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/279415.htm No affil..

Its quite a coincidence because when I first read your post I thought to myself, OMG that would be a nice combo but a pristine C4S in cobalt with light interior... good luck.. There might be like 10 cars out there with those specs.. And 2mins later I came across this ad. I have never before seen any 993 in cobalt except for this stunning US spec. 993 Turbo-S that I saw here on RL a couple of months back:
I looked at that 993TTS, If only I had the money.

Surprising they do seem to be out there but not too many. In the case of my 94 there are only 2. It was a special order paint and the dealerships could not spec them out without a paying customer to special order it. It is possible this was still carried over to the 993's although now the dealerships can order anything it is just an additional charge and then they have to sell a more expensive car.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:28 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW, I have an Ocean blue 993 C2 and here is my take on the blues.

If I could have any color 993, I'd take Cobalt and then Zenith blue. I don't know the production numbers, but I'd guess there are no more than a handful that were special ordered in these colors. One could look for years and not find one, let alone one that met your other criteria (condition, options, etc.). I looked for over a year to find my Ocean Blue car, and never saw another coupe in that color. Another factor is interior color. I happen to hate the grey interiors, and would not consider a car with one. Many of the blue cars came with grey interiors, so that eliminated a lot of the market for me. From what I can tell, the most common blue combo was midnight/grey and then midnight/cashmere. Ocean seems much rarer, and Cobalt and Zenith even more difficult to find.

To my eyes, the midnight is darker than Ocean and has a more of a "navy blue" or almost black look in most lighting. In the sun, it has a more purple undertone. Ocean blue also looks dark at night, but is a bit lighter than the midnight during the day, and in the sun has more of an aquamarine cast than purple. I've taken pictures of the car, but they never seem to capture the color properly.

You really need to see the blues in person to understand what they look like. Their appearance changes a lot depending on the ambient light. If you can find a Cobalt blue car in good condition, buy it if you like it. You aren't likely to see another one again.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:33 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a Turquoise blue 993TT-S at Truspeed. It's Seinfeld's car.

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/current_inventory.aspx
Old 10-31-2007, 01:34 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

And BTW to "cobalt". Your 3.6TT is one of the best looking P cars I've ever seen, especially with the black interior and the speedlines. I'd guess you may have the only one like that in the USA. Truly a rock star car!

If you ever want to sell call me, I'll be waiting in the long line for a chance at it.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for all the responses. It seems as though I my best color combo that I should be searching for will be Iris blue, tan/cashmere interior. I will continue my quest.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by palladio
And BTW to "cobalt". Your 3.6TT is one of the best looking P cars I've ever seen, especially with the black interior and the speedlines. I'd guess you may have the only one like that in the USA. Truly a rock star car!

If you ever want to sell call me, I'll be waiting in the long line for a chance at it.
Thanks, much appreciated. I got very lucky when I found my car and it took a year of searching. if I hesitated I know of 3 local people alone who were about to buy it.

Yes it is a one of a kind, there is only one other although it has a combination classic gray,light gray, black and rootwood interior. Still a nice car but the interior is way to busy for my tastes. Although If push came to shove and I wanted a cobalt car badly enough I wouldn't care about interior, buy it and then swap out the interior. It would probably be easier than searching for one with the interior color I liked.

Although I have to admit Zenith, Midnight, Ocean, Iris, Amazon Green (actually more blue than green) are all very nice colors.

Here is a pic of the other cobalt's interior. I would still buy it and swap the interior if I had to.
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

6-12 months ago there was a Zenith or Cobalt 4S for sale in FLA that was either a '97 or '98. It had very low miles (sub 10 or 12k) and was optioned to the hilt. Cashmere interior as well. I would hunt around for that one. The ad was on Autotrader and I remember thinking to myself "wow, never saw that combo before".

Quick Reply: WTB: Cobalt blue C4S with tan/light interior