Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Had the car dyoned today, it's slow...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Had the car dyoned today, it's slow...

Well, it's not, so I don't understand. First the weight chart for the 993 C4S is 3350lbs, I really think it's less than that. It just "feels" lighter & faster. The car pulls hard, my other cars are @ 300whp & close to 300whp both are also AWD.

Ok, now the details, it's a Mustang dyno, known to read a little on the low side. They have to close the garage door, due to the locals complaining of noise, so it was hot inside. We did 3 pulls in 4th, to 6800rpms. I put my hand inside the intake after the runs, & it was hot, & the intake was warm to the touch.

211whp @ 195 torque. I can see where the varioram is kicking in the 3 steps, & the curve is kind of smooth & flat. My thoughts were more of 220-230whp. The car is bone stock, 40kmi, needs an oil change & wheel alignment.

I am getting a email of the chart & will post. Is this in line with other stockers?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:25 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car dyno's at 257.... although it is slightly modded http://pages.sbcglobal.net/borist/993/dyno.jpg
Old 10-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Well, it's not, so I don't understand. First the weight chart for the 993 C4S is 3350lbs, I really think it's less than that. It just "feels" lighter & faster. The car pulls hard, my other cars are @ 300whp & close to 300whp both are also AWD.

Ok, now the details, it's a Mustang dyno, known to read a little on the low side. They have to close the garage door, due to the locals complaining of noise, so it was hot inside. We did 3 pulls in 4th, to 6800rpms. I put my hand inside the intake after the runs, & it was hot, & the intake was warm to the touch.

211whp @ 195 torque. I can see where the varioram is kicking in the 3 steps, & the curve is kind of smooth & flat. My thoughts were more of 220-230whp. The car is bone stock, 40kmi, needs an oil change & wheel alignment.

I am getting a email of the chart & will post. Is this in line with other stockers?
did you use a AWD dyno?.......LOL
Old 10-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FlyYellow
my car dyno's at 257.... although it is slightly modded http://pages.sbcglobal.net/borist/993/dyno.jpg
Dynopack type of dyno (read much higher), & you only drive 2 wheels, so I would say we are almost even engine HP wise.

I had my EVO dynoed on a DP & it was 30whp higher then it read on this dyno that I used for the 993.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phil
did you use a AWD dyno?.......LOL
I don't even know how to respond to this one, what we did was put the rear wheels on, & put the front up on jack stands, it seams to work fine.

LOL!
Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even know how to respond to this one, what we did was put the rear wheels on, & put the front up on jack stands, it seams to work fine.

LOL!

Phil's right - you have an AWD car and needs to be on a four wheel dyno. This is required not only for accurate hp measurements but also to prevent damage to the AWD system. Hopefully you didn't burn out the viscous coupling that drives the front wheels.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by epj993
Phil's right - you have an AWD car and needs to be on a four wheel dyno. This is required not only for accurate hp measurements but also to prevent damage to the AWD system. Hopefully you didn't burn out the viscous coupling that drives the front wheels.
Dude, it was a TOTAL JOKE! HENCE the LOL! Some people just don't get sarcasm. If you have ever been to a dyno, or seen a car on a dyno, you would know this is next to impossible (as well as totally unsafe), as the car move around quite a bit under power. Yes, it's a AWD dyno, that I have taken all 3 of my AWD cars to.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Numer seems low, better to a compression test.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one other thing to note is that an AWD has less effeciency so i could see the # being lower... dunno about dynopack vs. mustang dyno measurements though..
Old 10-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Numer seems low, better to a compression test.
Gee, thanks that is no help at all. I had a test done 3 weeks ago with a leak down. There was less then 5psi difference between all cylinders, it's good.

It's AWD, & stock. It should be around 220ish, so yea, it's slightly low, but it can be do the hot intake temps, wheels out of alignment, or some other maintenance item that needs to be taken care of. I'm not really worried about it, as I stated, on the street it pulls really hard, it even accelerates in 6th.

For a compassion, my Audi S4 with a turbo back exhaust, & intake, did 7hp more on this dyno. My stock EVO (290chp) did 225whp, with 5kmi on the car. So we are all with in the right range, just the lower part of the range. Now if I went to a Dyno Jet, or Dyno pack, it would be in the 230-240whp range.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:22 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Gee, thanks that is no help at all. I had a test done 3 weeks ago with a leak down. There was less then 5psi difference between all cylinders, it's good.
What were the compression numbers?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:39 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Is this in line with other stockers?
Nope, your numbers are definitely low. You have issues.

I had my former 993 C4 on a dynapak dyno and read low too. Not sure if it's an issue with dynapak, but I suspect it's your car.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:00 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Gee, thanks that is no help at all. .
What's with the attitude? Are we supposed to know the history of your car? You had Robin who is one of the most knowledgeable person on 993's asking you a question to try to help you and you respond like that?
Get a life and have a nice day.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chris walrod
What were the compression numbers?
Don't know I'll have to check my PPI sheet. All I remember, is that it had very good compression, & very good leak down numbers.

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Nope, your numbers are definitely low. You have issues.

I had my former 993 C4 on a dynapak dyno and read low too. Not sure if it's an issue with dynapak, but I suspect it's your car.
Yes, I know it's low, but it's not that low, my thoughts are 10hp off. You can NOT compare Mustangs, to others, or even Dyno Jet to Dyno packs. I can tell you the car is running top notch.

Originally Posted by DJF1
What's with the attitude? Are we supposed to know the history of your car? You had Robin who is one of the most knowledgeable person on 993's asking you a question to try to help you and you respond like that?
Get a life and have a nice day.
It's not attitude, but telling me "you car is broke" or "you need to test X" is not really any help. I don't doubt any ones Porsche knowledge, but details are nice. It would be nice, for people to say my car on a mustang dyno did X. We all know that I loose an extra 10% being AWD. So comparing it to a modified 2wd on different dyones. He didn't ask a question, he just said to test compression.

I'm not disagreeing it's low, but it's not "rebuild the engine" low.

"get a life" why are you guys so hostile. I didn't attack Robin in any way, I just voiced my opinion on his post, I think he is a big boy & defend him self if he was so offended.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have some ideas but it will cost you a membership (and maybe an attutude rebuild).

Quick Reply: Had the car dyoned today, it's slow...