New to 993 - Portland PPI Recommendations & Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Speed_Addict
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to 993 - Portland PPI Recommendations & Purchase Questions

Hello,

I am fairly new to the Rennlist (only a few post so far...). I started looking for a Porsche months back and recently had posted some questions on a 964 RSA I was considering. I decided not to purchase that car (price was a little too high for mileage and condition) and since then have not seen any other 964 RSA's that I am interested in (that are not on the other side of the country). I had considered 993's at the time but the RSA was just so interesting with its lack of options (like power steering - which I really liked) that I had to spend some time looking at them.

Now I am seriously looking at the 993. I am considering a 993 in the Portland, OR area (I am neer Seattle, WA) which from the pictures and speaking with the owner sounds quite good. I am trying to make plans to preview the car but want to have a PPI lined up - does anyone have any recommendations of thorough shops to have a PPI completed at in Portland? I am thinking that having compression and leakdown tests is a must and possibily AIS (if it applies to this car???).

The car is a 1995 C4. If it is in impecable condition with low miles (in the low 30's) what would be the current market price range (with options such as full leather, heated and powered seats, sports group, rear wiper, sun roof, fog lamps - I think all else is standard equipment)? I am not noting the price here (it sounded reasonable) - just wanted to get some off the cuff feedback.

My last question - are all 1995 993 OBD1? Do the 1995 that are OBD1 also have the SAI circuit and it is just not monitored by OBD1 or does it not even have the SAI system at all? If it has the SAI system but is not monitored by the OBD1 system can it still be a problem requiring major service? One reason I am interested in the 1995 model year cars is to avoid the dreaded CEL due to possible SAI problems. I think the Varioram system would be nice to have as the 1996 - 1998 cars have but I don't think that is a real issue for me. Is there anything esle to lookout for a 1995 model year car? Any other reasons 1996 - 1998 cars would make a sounder purchase?

Sorry for the long read and thank you for any replies!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Sooner
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist.

Gran Prix Imports in Wilsonville -Joe Leggs is the Porsche Guy
Stuttgart Autotech in Lake Oswego -Mike Jordan

Both are good shops & have worked on my car.

'95 still has the SAI, they just don't throw the CEL w/ OBD1. It can still have the clogged SAI ports, but it's really not an issue as it's an emissons during startup, will not hurt performance.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

SA:

The best folks for a PPI is Stuttgart Autotech in Lake Oswego. Talk to Mike and tell him I sent you.

All '95's are OBD-I. They all have the SAI but OBD-I doesn't monitor it so thats not a problem.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

^^^ What about having Steve look at it^^^ Hint, hint hint...

Cool, another local Nw person looking of a 993, it's the best car I have ever owned, not the fastest, but there is just something about it! Good luck!
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Speed_Addict
AutoX

Thank you all for the advice. Actually, its funny - I called Rennsport Systems today to see if they did PPI's - so Steve, I think you have a message from me on your answering machine at your shop

The tally thus far looks like 2 for Stuttgart Autotech.

Steve - If I needed options does your business ever perform PPI's? I assume you do not typically and thus the good referral (for which I am grateful).

I know that price is subjective and it really comes down to what something is worth to me but anybody have know the current market range for price on a 95 C4 (low miles exec condition)? I am just looking for confirmation that asking price is in the ballpark. Or is there a good reference someplace for that? NADA and Kelly BB are pretty useless as a general guide in this specialty market.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:14 AM
ste993
Pro

Mike at Stuttgart Autotech did mine for me.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed_Addict
I know that price is subjective and it really comes down to what something is worth to me but anybody have know the current market range for price on a 95 C4 (low miles exec condition)? I am just looking for confirmation that asking price is in the ballpark. Or is there a good reference someplace for that? NADA and Kelly BB are pretty useless as a general guide in this specialty market.
KBB is USLESS! I just got my car 3 week ago, & it was almost double what KBB listed it as. This also makes getting a loan harder, & you get stuck with a higher interest rate.

IMHO, in the NW a clean lo MI C4 is $40-55k for a 9+ on the 10 scale. But others will argue, we have higher prices up here. If you want cheap, you are stuck with Chicago, Texas, or FL. But I would not trust any car from FL unless you can track it's history.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed_Addict
Thank you all for the advice. Actually, its funny - I called Rennsport Systems today to see if they did PPI's - so Steve, I think you have a message from me on your answering machine at your shop

The tally thus far looks like 2 for Stuttgart Autotech.

Steve - If I needed options does your business ever perform PPI's? I assume you do not typically and thus the good referral (for which I am grateful).

Hi:

Got your message, thank you.

We don't perform PPI's so thats why I recommended Mike Jordan @ Stuttgart Autotech. Thats where we send street car repair and maintenance.

He is pretty darned good at that as long as he gets guidance from the customer about the scope and extent of how far to go in checking everything. Its all about "time".
Old 10-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Speed_Addict
AutoX

Thanks Steve! - I appreciate the PPI adivce and your response.

Does anyone know if there are any issues particular to the the 1995 C4 (non-S)I should be looking for? Any reasons to not purchase a C4 vs a C2. I have not driven a C4 so I have no points of comparison unfortunately. Is the character of the 993 greatly different between the two? I have not been looking for a C4 in particular - maily looking for a great 993 which I have found a difficult search (given my requirements for condition and documentation) since I am trying to keep it local to the NW.

Stealth 993 - thank for the note on price - the car I am looking at is around the mid to low $40K's
Old 10-28-2007, 12:42 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I sent you a PM for a low mileage RS America
Old 10-28-2007, 12:43 PM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Your not a rennlist member so PM wont work. I am in Seattle .206.612.0444
Old 10-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Speed_Addict
AutoX

Autosea - I will see if I can give you a call on that 964 RSA - since it is near to home it may be interesting to hear more about.

Quick Reply: New to 993 - Portland PPI Recommendations & Purchase Questions