Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

SwissTrax Garage Tiles arrived - Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:25 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SwissTrax Garage Tiles arrived - Question?

I ordered grey and silver Swiss Trax tiles for my small garage, to spruce up the place. They arrived yesterday. I never tried anything like Racedeck or similar snap together tiles before.

For those of you who have these, or Race Deck, when you first lay them down (I snapped about 8 tiles together, to see how they would look), do they make noise against the floor, and seem a little bit like laying out your kid's Lego set?

I am hoping when I put the whole floor together, it will solidify and not move around like it does now?

All the photos of your Race Deck and Swiss Trax floors LOOK great, but...

Andy
Old 10-25-2007, 03:49 PM
ste993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy,

Speaking as a general contractor I would imagine there should be some kind of underlay or sheet that goes on the concrete to stop movement and make a more solid contact. I could be wrong because I have never done this particular floor before, but that is what you do for any other professional floating floor. Just my 2c.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

from what I've read about this is a common complaint. (I don't have floor tiles so this is all just what I've read about)

the answer does seem to be using an underlayment. typically the thin blue foam used under floating wood floors or Pergo style flooring. that quiets the plastic tiles as you walk or drive over them.

we'll be interested to hear if that works out for you.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put some kind of underlayment or foam under the product...how is the floor supposed to drain when you drive in out of the rain or snow?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:50 PM
hutch
Instructor

I have the Race Deck tiles and also installed the blue foam pad under the tiles. This does reduce the noise significantly!
Old 10-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have them. They do make a little noise, but do not move around once they are all together. Water will get under the tiles, so I would not put anything under them - the water will not drain and you could have mold problems. One piece of advice - leave about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch for expansion when things warm up in the summer. I put mine down last winter and was proud of how tight I got them to the walls. They started to buckle in the spring, so I had to pull up the edge tiles and cut them off. Also, a rubber mallet is worth it to help put them together.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I was thinking anything under the tiles would only trap water and moisture, especially any that was caused by condensation (cold concrete, warmer tiles). I'll give them a shot - good looking floor tiles that make a little noise is better than a cracked, peeling concrete floor!

Thanks 993 guys!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:37 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I have them. They do make a little noise, but do not move around once they are all together. Water will get under the tiles, so I would not put anything under them - the water will not drain and you could have mold problems.
+1
If you have a spill or anything drips off of your car a barrier or underlayment would end up being a mess.
Mine kind of "click" a bit when you walk on them. I really never gave it much thought.
These tiles hold up to all kinds of abuse and are easy to clean. Great flooring for a garage/shop IMO.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 AM
ste993
Pro

If fluids can actually seep through to the underneath of the tile then an underlay material would not be such a great idea. Does the tile to allow water etc. to drain through underneath it and then down the slope of the concrete to the main door and out?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:36 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ste993
If fluids can actually seep through to the underneath of the tile then an underlay material would not be such a great idea. Does the tile to allow water etc. to drain through underneath it and then down the slope of the concrete to the main door and out?
I was told that the tiles are pretty tight, and water tends to just sit on the tile surface, as opposed to seeping down onto the floor beneath. Of course, if a soaking wet car with snow all over it sits there, some water will seep down under the tiles.

This is new to me, and an (expensive) experiment. My garage floor is cracked, and has pits and holes in it - along with peeling grey paint. So, most anything on top of it will be a major improvement, and make more economic sense than spending thousands to have the floor re-done.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default I installed the SwissTrax - major improvement IMHO!

Put them in this afternoon. I can't believe how much nicer the garage seems just because the floor isn't cracked and peeling! Check it out:

Before/During

Finished (almost - still have to cut the right side tiles):

Quick Reply: SwissTrax Garage Tiles arrived - Question?