Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A red letter day, a big moment in my life, a rite of passage...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Yeah, I've been kind of yearning for a 3.2 lately, so I had to learn.

Growing up, we always had automatics, and neither of my parents were inclined to go out of their way to teach me, hence the rather late start.

I'm thinking I need a cheap beater to really get it down before I torture a 911 with my mistakes. Although I must say, it was easier than I thought it would be. Starting on an uphill was a bit of a trick.
Ed, don't worry about torturting a 911. I LEARNED on a 911, at 14! On a racetrack no less. The 993's are as easy as any Toyota or Honda. The trick on steep hills, is put her in gear and simply to set the handbrake. When you feel her grab, you just release the brake. Anyone who's ever driven a stick in San Fran knows this. Congratulations! Adds a whole new dimension to driving.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:42 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Congratulations!!! I commend you even more on having the ***** to admit it on this forum!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:37 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Ed, don't worry about torturting a 911. I LEARNED on a 911, at 14! On a racetrack no less. The 993's are as easy as any Toyota or Honda. The trick on steep hills, is put her in gear and simply to set the handbrake. When you feel her grab, you just release the brake. Anyone who's ever driven a stick in San Fran knows this. Congratulations! Adds a whole new dimension to driving.
Tell me about it!

Congratulations! I drive in SF daily, all over the city, with a manual. Eventually, it becomes second nature, and hills don't seem a bother; although I tend to give the guy in front of me PLENTY of breathing room to let his clutch out and not roll into me (always assume the dolt in front of you is driving a manual on a hill...)

Good luck, and let the fun begin! I love the 3.2, especially the G50 tranny years! Chassis feel is more "raw" versus a 993 with it's "improvements".
Old 10-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

My kids are all grown now. But each kid got a car for his or her sixteen birthdays if they met certain criteria; and they all did. And each car was a stick shift. There were many groans (and a few tears from one daughter) but they all mastered the stick. I have the gray hairs now to prove it. In high school it ended up being a badge of honor to know how to drive a stick, so few could. Ahhhhh, the memories!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job.....in the UK thats what we start on, getting used to tucking your extra foot out of the way when driving an auto her in the US (on wifes car and my daily driver, not on the p-car) was a real PITA.....when I first started I could not get used to not diving for the clutch when I hit the brake...hahaha....on the bright side, my wife (American) has still not learned to drive a stick, so my p-car is safe from her!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts

Let the snickering begin: I finally, finally learned how to drive a stick shift today.

This was better than getting laid for the first time.

Well, almost.

Congrats! Can you now pass the hill test?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:28 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 413 Posts

Apparently, driving a manual trans is a lost art with the under 25 crowd. My GF's daughter is a freshman in college and knows no one who can drive a manual.

I learned driving a manual in high school while working at a large car dealership. Here's how my first lesson went- Sales Manager sez, "Take that '68 Camaro SS to our body shop across town- you do know how to drive stick, right?" Jim sez, "Yep!". And so it came to be....

Later, I had a tail-shifting 914. My Dad wanted to give it a whirl and probably hadn't driven a manual in 20 years, although he did drive some heavy double-clutching vehicles and alot of Jeeps in the "Big War". I gave him careful instructions on where to find the various gears in that mystery shifting slushbox, but I could plainly see that he was only paying half attention to his 22 year old son's brilliant words of wisdom. He dropped it into first, eased in the clutch and drove off like he had driven 914's all of his life.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLYT993
oops..didn't see this - this is the hill test I was referring to. In the Caribbean it is a requirement to get your drivers lice'. If the car were to roll back an inch after releasing the handbrake and not riding the clutch .....u have failed..lol..

Last edited by TRINITONY; 10-19-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Tony....its the same in the UK, as is a live three point turn on an in use road and a parallel parking on a live road........unless that has changed....anybody from the UK confirm.....its been a few years since I took my test......
Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,958 Likes on 2,809 Posts

Let the snickering begin: I finally, finally learned how to drive a stick shift today.

This was better than getting laid for the first time.

Well, almost.
Great! Your next assignment, should you choose to accept it, will be learning to heel-toe downshift. You'll definitely want to master that if you're going to be picking up a 3.2L

Just make sure the pedals are properly adjusted for it...

Figuring that out will make you a much better driver (and easier on the car) and is also very satisfying, once learned.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dhicks
Tony....its the same in the UK, as is a live three point turn on an in use road and a parallel parking on a live road........unless that has changed....anybody from the UK confirm.....its been a few years since I took my test......
yes 3 point ...and NOT 4..lol...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Nice work! Better late than never.

Now can you teach my wife? I have tried several times and she refuses to learn.........
Old 10-19-2007, 01:52 PM
TwinDaddy
Advanced

Although I must say, it was easier than I thought it would be. Starting on an uphill was a bit of a trick.
Wait, are we still talking about stick shifting or are we back to sex?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
creator8
Instructor

IMHO not teaching your kid to learn to drive stick shift shows a serious deficiency in parenting skills. My three girls will know how to use a clutch and gears before their teens.

My wife was never taught--upside is that most cars I own she doesn't get to drive. Downside is she occasionally influences me to buy an auto. Shame they don't make a tip GT3! For her at least!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:07 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Butzi (chef_jmr)
Tell me about it!

...although I tend to give the guy in front of me PLENTY of breathing room to let his clutch out and not roll into me
I know! I give plenty of space too, but what pisses me off to no end is when some dumb **** pulls up 6 inches from my rear. I think over the years, the human gene pool is becoming progressively, dumber!!!

Quick Reply: A red letter day, a big moment in my life, a rite of passage...