993 Forum 1995-1998

Targa roof just started creaking/clicking

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Targa roof just started creaking/clicking

My Targa roof has been pretty quiet until this week. The only change has been a full M030 suspension upgrade and 18" wheels last month, plus the weather is getting colder as well.

It starts off quiet in the morning till I hit a big bump, then it starts making a light clicking sound from the rear of the roof panel when driving over any road thats not perfectly smooth. When I open the roof, the sound goes away. I checked the roof panel adjuster screws and they are tight.

I'm wondering if I "lube" the rear roof seal might solve the problem. Will a silicone spray be OK or will I damage the seal? What should I use?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Aardvark123
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

erm... I don't think 18" wheels were qualified for the Targa.... that's probably the trouble.

TOm
Old 10-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may just have to do a slight adjustment in the top supports. Mine squeaks every now and then and I do this. Do you have the TSB PDF on roof squeaks?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:44 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amfab
You may just have to do a slight adjustment in the top supports. Mine squeaks every now and then and I do this. Do you have the TSB PDF on roof squeaks?
I don't have the PDF, can you send me a link or I assume I could search the board.

I'm almost reluctant to adjust it as it doesn't leak or have wind noise right now, just the annoying creaking...
Old 10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/338398-porsche-993-technical-service-bullitens-tsb-s-updated-regularly.html

Geolab has 'em all in the Targa section I think
Old 10-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

It might help to lubricate the rails. The stiffer suspension and wheels most likely contribute, but you can most likely eliminate the noise if you are persistant.

My former targa did the same thing after the suspension upgrade. My new cab started making all kinds of noises after the suspension and wheel upgrade. It took me a few weeks, but I am now rattle free.

18" wheels are fine on your targa. The factory does allow that wheels and even gives the proper tire inflation ratings on the door sticker.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would strongly advise against any grease, oil or WD-40 like stuff in the rails. After completely removing the entire roof and drive mechanism it I can tell you it can lead to a mess and damage the mechanisim. It becomes very apparent once it is all apart why Webasto/Porsche say no oil/grease. There are a couple spots where grease is OK. But not in the rails or slots in the rails where the drive cables are run.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:12 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my Targa it was running ROW M030 suspension and 17 inchers and it creaked. I found the car road very stiffly compared with the C2 I replaced it with which came with standard suspension and 18 inchers. The issue is more with the suspension and not the wheels. I took it to my shop a few times and it was creak free until I hit a bump and it was back again. My shop's advice was that it was the nature of the beast and I should leave it as its. I finally cured the problem when I installed Ruf mufflers. No squeaks could be heard above that noise.

What dampers are you running? The Targa came to me with new Boges. I am sure that more modern designed dampers would have helped. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:04 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tomwinton
erm... I don't think 18" wheels were qualified for the Targa.... that's probably the trouble.

TOm
I am not sure where you have gotten your information...yes the factory wheels are 17" but 18's are fine. I am running 19" RUF's and its fine as well.

I had some small creaks from the front edge of the roof...I ended up retorquing the mounting bolts (with loctite this time).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Porsche never approved 18 inch wheels for the Targa. I can't remember where I read it though. When I read it I thought it was over cautious, it just never made any sense to me because basically a Targa is a well braced Cabriolet. Maybe it was only because of squeaks, I can't imagine it to be any real danger.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:57 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

I also remember someone had posted a while back about Porsche not approving 18" wheels for the Targa. There was also some chatter/speculation about the Targa wheels being heavier than stock to help dampen the ride and minimize the creaks.

My creaking must be from the seals. I drove in the pouring rain today which lubed the seals, and the top was quiet, no squeeks or creaks. It was my son riding in back that pointed it out for me. The creaks have been bugging him more than me as its right above his head.

I did have a moment of panic, when I turned around to talk to him, I could see water dripping from the rear main panel seal. It was on the very passenger edge of the seal and dripping into the roof frame. I checked underneath the carpets and all was dry. I did a quick search on RL and realized that this was normal as the water is supposed to drain into a channel similar to the sunroof drains... whew!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Aardvark123
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That same page referenced above has this pdf file:

http://members.rennlist.com/geolab/s...996_640496.pdf

states that 18" on a Targa are not approved.

Don't know if that statement has ever been amended....
Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hmmm, that should also mean that the Cab is not approved since the Targa is at least if not more stiff than a Cab. It could mean they have had not gotten around to testing/analysing it yet since the TSB is Feb/96.

I have all the Tsbs...I will take a look.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-18-2007, 05:05 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomwinton
That same page referenced above has this pdf file:

http://members.rennlist.com/geolab/s...996_640496.pdf

states that 18" on a Targa are not approved.

Don't know if that statement has ever been amended....
Oh well... I guess they'll void my warranty now

Quick Reply: Targa roof just started creaking/clicking