Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to park your daily driver in your driveway blocking your garaged 993?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 440 Posts
Default Do you have to park your daily driver in your driveway blocking your garaged 993?

We just got a new house as I posted the other day and I realized that because the street is a tight court/cul de sac, parking my daily driver on this court isn't a great option. Everyone parks there 2 cars in the driveway... we'd be the only ones with 3 cars. There's kids playing ball on this court sometimes and I didn't want them using my daily driver as a backboard. Plus, it's kind of obnoxious to leave the car parked in front of someone elses house down the street - apparantly people who live on a court don't really like that, at least that's what people on my BMW board had mentioned. Also, I can't leave the 993 out in the sun all day baking, so it'll be the 993 in the garage when I'm not driving it and the BMW outside year round.

Here's a pic of the space in front of the house, but it sits directly under a tree... death to the paint on a car, right? Plus, it's a tight court... neighbors not so happy that I park right on the court basically in front of their house too? The current owner has the same car I do (the grey BMW).

Here's a shot of the neighbors house to the left of ours... no space to park a daily driver there...

Here's the small garage where the 993 would sit with my wife's car. I don't think they even use a garage for cars. They're always parked outside. Now I wish we could have found a house with a 3 car garage, but we just couldn't afford one in the neighborhoods we looked at.

It seems that the least intrusive/best solution (for me and the neighbors) is to leave the 993 in the garage, the BMW parked in front of it and essentially blocking it. Then, when I want to drive my P-car, I'd have to pull the BMW out of the way, take out the 993 and put the BMW back. That's really inconvenient, don't you think? Otherwise, I guess I could park my daily driver up the street but maybe pi* off the neighbors.

What would you do? Park on the tight court and possibly pis* off the neighbors and risk kid toys/***** hitting the car or shuffle the car in and out of the garage around the daily driver parked in the driveway?

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 10-02-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Park in the driveway in your case.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:35 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Is your garage ceiling high enough to use a parking lift? Add the total height of the BMW and P-car and see how much you have left over.

good luck
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar issue with jockeying cars. We have a dual tandem garage, and the 993 (my DD) blocks in the Westfield (fair weather fun car). When I want to take that latter car out for drive, I need to move the 993. It’s not optimal, but it’s better than not having both cars

If you have room for a lift, then that might be your best option. It will still be a pain to take out the 993, but at least both cars are stowed safely away in the garage.

-John
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 440 Posts

I doubt the garage is high enough for a lift, but I'll check. I don't even know how that works... sounds expensive, but boy, would that be nice for both cars to be in the garage! The garage is 20x20 but an unknown amount high. That seems too small for a lift, right?

Thanks,

Steve R
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

We also have a two car garage.

Both my P-cars (993S and Cayenne S) stay in the garage. Wife parks her Benz outside.

What am I missing?

Last edited by rome; 10-02-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Same situation and it sucks in the winter. Maybe a lift for me someday or offsite winter storage.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Lifts aren't cheap, bit those who have them seem to swear by them. I've heard that you can get away with a 10' ceiling, but you might even be able to do 9' depending on the height of the cars and your willingness to cut things close

There is a current thread on lifts that might answer some of your questions. If not, there are plenty of other threads on the subject in the archives.

-John
Old 10-02-2007, 12:37 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For the winter, rent a storage unit and stash the 993 in there with a battery tender and take it out on warm days; that's what I did last year. But a lift looks like a good option in your case.

But don't read that horrific thread where one of us smashed his 993 into the ceiling because the fuse tripped and when the breaker was switched back on the lift started rising ... and kept rising ... ouch.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the p-car (covered) in the garage (which is locked) and the daily-driver/shopping car in the outside (open-air) driveway - yes, under some branches. No room for two cars and no vertical room for a lift. I've learned to live with moving one out in order to get to the other.

Also, not for nuffin', the local cops have told me that it's BETTER to have the p-car "out of sight" until you actually need to use it. The last thing u need is for the local scumbags to 'see' the p-car outside - which gives them a clue of the 'wealth' that is very probably inside. You don't want your abode or belongings to be on someone's 'short-list'.

Go to Pepboyz and get yourself a weatherproof car-cover for the car that will be in the driveway. Anytime you need to use it - you just whip it off - stuff it in the trunk or the garage -- will take you all of 30 seconds.

Gerry
Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

4 post parking lifts are (last time I looked) on the order of $3k. much cheaper than expanding the garage
Old 10-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
We just got a new house as I posted the other day and I realized that because the street is a tight court/cul de sac, parking my daily driver on this court isn't a great option. Everyone parks there 2 cars in the driveway... we'd be the only ones with 3 cars. There's kids playing ball on this court sometimes and I didn't want them using my daily driver as a backboard. Plus, it's kind of obnoxious to leave the car parked in front of someone elses house down the street - apparantly people who live on a court don't really like that, at least that's what people on my BMW board had mentioned. Also, I can't leave the 993 out in the sun all day baking, so it'll be the 993 in the garage when I'm not driving it and the BMW outside year round.

What would you do? Park on the tight court and possibly pis* off the neighbors and risk kid toys/***** hitting the car or shuffle the car in and out of the garage around the daily driver parked in the driveway?

Steve R
My DD is my 993 - no prob
Old 10-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, not for nuffin', the local cops have told me that it's BETTER to have the p-car "out of sight" until you actually need to use it. The last thing u need is for the local scumbags to 'see' the p-car outside - which gives them a clue of the 'wealth' that is very probably inside. You don't want your abode or belongings to be on someone's 'short-list'.

Huh ??? The neighborhood already reeks of success and 'wealth' - what's a 993 in a driveway going to imply??? That the maids are there?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Both p-cars in seperate garages, wife's Lexus in with the 993, GMC Yukon daily driver outside.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a 2 car garage. 993 is in the middle-right, lawn tractor to the left side. Both Daily drivers in the driveway and we play musical cars when its time to drive the 993. Not such a big deal once you accept that you have no other choice!

We also have the blessing of warmer weather in the winter here in Florida so that may make things easier for me. I'm sure you guys get some nasty weather up in MD for the winter. May not make for a fun daily driver in those cold months

Quick Reply: Do you have to park your daily driver in your driveway blocking your garaged 993?