Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to park your daily driver in your driveway blocking your garaged 993?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
The current garage doors and openers preclude thought of any type of two car lift ... for they appear to open inwards ( horizontally) for ~8' in a 20' garage - figure that into a procedure for loading and unloading a lift
normally, the tracks run horizontally just above the door opening and often well below the ceiling. You can have them re-run so that the opener mounts directly to the ceiling and the tracks are just below it.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:09 AM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive em every day!

Get rid of the daily driver, that's what Porsches are made for. Who are we all kidding, the car is depreciating every day and we're getting older every day. Why miss out on life?

Does it give people that much pleaseure to sit at a car show on your lawn chair and tell everybody that your the original owner and the car only has 7500 miles. Huh, not me.

The sale price will not cover the loss of fun/utility by not driving it.

It reminds me of folks that use to cover their furniture in vinyl to protect it for what! You'll get sick of the couch before it ever wears out.

Nobody cares accept you that the car has never seen rain or whatever.

Okay, I feel better.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 AM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't see the big deal. Move the 7 when you need to get at the 993. I don't live in the suburbs but in the downtown core and a double garage with a driveway is a luxury, my garage is at the back lane and just fits the 993. I park my X5 on the street in front of my house. If you don't want to move the 7 then park it up the street away from the kids playing. When I was a kid, at my father's house, we had to always shuffle cars to get one out. Once you get used to it, no big deal.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by verboten
Get rid of the daily driver, that's what Porsches are made for. Who are we all kidding, the car is depreciating every day and we're getting older every day. Why miss out on life?

Does it give people that much pleaseure to sit at a car show on your lawn chair and tell everybody that your the original owner and the car only has 7500 miles. Huh, not me.

The sale price will not cover the loss of fun/utility by not driving it.

It reminds me of folks that use to cover their furniture in vinyl to protect it for what! You'll get sick of the couch before it ever wears out.

Nobody cares accept you that the car has never seen rain or whatever.

Okay, I feel better.

+1
Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Verboten - Can't (or don't really want to) get rid of the daily driver. It's big, it holds alot of stuff, and I sometimes need it for work to carry tables and chairs. Plus, when doing some major shopping, and my wife is out using her car, I need the big daily driver to fit everything in the car. Lastly, when it's really shi**y outside in the winter and the salt is down on the roads as thick as crust with icey slush and frozen pieces, I'm not too enthusiastic about driving my P-car.

doberdog - Yes, shuffling won't be too bad if you're used to it and that's the only option. It's not like I'm grateful to have a nice new house, it's just that I've never had to shuffle cars before like this. I know "aint no thing but a chicken wing" in the end, so I'll get with the program and do it if the parking on the cul-de-sac doesn't jibe with the neigbhors.

Here's how tight the court is ... from the bedroom window of the new home
I forgot I took this pic. It shows the only spot I could logically park the BMW where it's not under a tree or affecting the other neighbors and their ball playing too much -

You can see the basketball backboard here at the next door neighbors so I can't park near that.

It's all good though...

Steve R
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now it sounds like you should have kept the old house because you miss your old parking situation. You just can't win can you Steve. Seriously is it that big a deal to just move the cars around? And no way I would park my car in that court of yours. I can hear it now during the basketball games "OK edge of the driveway and the silver bimmer are out of bounds...ball in".
Old 10-03-2007, 01:16 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Just cut down those trees in the middle of the Court and put a roped off Auto Turntable so you can display your 993.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:22 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Steve,

Top pic, just right of black top. Looks like if you paved that piece over, it will hold one more car and free up the entire driveway. Just a thought.

CP
Old 10-03-2007, 01:45 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
Just cut down those trees in the middle of the Court and put a roped off Auto Turntable so you can display your 993.
Beat me to it.

But let me be the first to say: D R I F T I N G !
Old 10-03-2007, 02:33 PM
hddude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread certainly proves once and for all that wealthy people have just as many problems as poor people.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your 993 is garaged?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Put it this way...You still have the 993 and you have your dream house...Win Win!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a two car garage, with a tandem second garage on my side. My wife's Suburban fills her side. I have two Porsches on my side, one behind the other, a 1989 cab and my 993 coupe. I also have a BMW 740 IL daily driver that sits in the driveway in front of my side. Not too much trouble to get out the Porsche in the front garage. I just move the BMW, take out the Porsche, and put the BMW back. Things get more tedious when I want to get a Porsche out of the back garage. Seems like I am moving cars all day, and they are sitting all over the neighborhood. It is a small price to pay, however, for keeping both Porsches.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did what Verboten did and sold the DD. It can be a real pain in the a$$ sometimes to only have one (alternator goes out, need it fixed right away) but I can always rely on the wifey's minivan for big hauls...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Well, I think I get it now. I don't really have a problem after all. Putting it all into perspective is what you guys have done for me.

Life is sweet

Steve R

Quick Reply: Do you have to park your daily driver in your driveway blocking your garaged 993?