Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have to park your daily driver in your driveway blocking your garaged 993?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks for all your responses. I just got home after a long day and am happy to read them. As for a car cover, I don't want to use one. When it snows and ices in the winter, and it gets wet and refreezes, it can mess with the paint upon it's removal and putting it back on. Any grit getting stuck in the cover could scratch the paint too. Also, I hate the look of a car in a driveway with a car cover on it. I like seeing the car, so the cover idea is out. Also, it just seems kind of OCD to have a large passenger sedan in a driveway with a car cover on it while every other car in the area doesn't.

The lift idea is out too. If it doesn't make it a snap to get one car out or the other, then it's not worth it to me. Also, the cost makes it out of the question. $3k is a really nice couch for the house right now, which my wife would choose in a second over a lift.

Creating an extra space by putting cobblestones down to the right of the driveway won't work either. This is the next door neighbor's house, and you can see that his driveway is the same exact size and has no space next to it for an extra spot. In this case, it would be in the middle of their basketball area and right next to their neighbor's property line. There is hardly any space between the homes in this area of town... It's the Washington suburbs... space is at a premium.

In this pic below it seems like there's enough room to do it (put down cobblestones), but it's pretty much right at the property line of the neighbors and I don't want to infringe on that space. Plus, no other driveways in the neighborhood have this extra "claimed" area so I want to "conform".

There is one other option, to park at the beginning of the court, 2 doors down and in between the initial street before entering the court and the actual court. You can see my car nosing itself in this picture and the back of the house on the street before the court. I might experiment by leaving my car there for a night or 2 after we first move in and see if the neighbors say anything. Or, I can just ask them if it's obtrusive and in the way.

The shuffling of the cars does sound like the best option. Yes, a royal pain in the as* but the best option. This would mean I'd have my wife's Acura and my P-car in the garage, with my BMW parked in front of the P-car. When I want to drive the 993, I'd pull the BMW to the side, leave it idling on the other side of the driveway, pull out my 993, leave it ... idling?, and then put the BMW back and THEN drive off. ouch...

I was afraid of this scenario, but compared to parking like some of you guys do, one behind another in a single car garage for instance, it's not so bad at all. As Berkeley said, I get to keep all 3 cars so I'm tickled pink. The neighbors might think I'm a "freak" with all this shuffling but what they heck, right?

Steve R
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have an even worse problem...

Maybe I should sell a few cars...
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do

Old 10-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Atan,

Your garage is scrumptious!

Steve
Old 10-03-2007, 02:04 AM
ste993
Pro

Atan,

You have to move a 993 to get to your 993's.... I feel so bad for you!!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:25 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Steve,

My old house in Cupertino was a 2-car garage in a cul de sac. Fortunately we only had 2 cars then.

Now we have 4.5 cars garage, but we have 6 cars. Luckily we have one extra outside bay besides each garage so the Lexus SC300 (daughter's car) and the Highlander (son's car) stay outside. My 2 Porsches (Ruf and Cayman), wife's 2 cars (Rx330 and Odyssey) stay indoors. We don't even have any blockages, and every car can drive out head first. That's a real luxury these days.

If kids move to their own place, all problems solved.

Here is a pic of my current garages. Enjoy.

CP
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

I remember that meet (bbq) we had in your place Pong... memories

btw nice black gt2 inside the garage
Old 10-03-2007, 03:46 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Atan,

Your garage is scrumptious!

Steve
Originally Posted by ste993
Atan,

You have to move a 993 to get to your 993's.... I feel so bad for you!!

thanks guys and my wife thinks Im sick. she still cant figure out whats the difference except for the colors
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I need to move out of the City, you guys kill me with your two-car side-by-side garages & lawns & cul-de-sacs, neighbors baking cookies, etc, etc...

My garage is a tandem, with an extra spot to the side that I have to REVERSE into with the 993. I'll look for a photo... If the other two cars are in the garage, I have to do the automobile-mambo, leaving a car on the sidewalk and the street while I pull the PORSCHE in/out, then back go the others...

You guys have it good!
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of the front lawn and replace with a cobblestoned courtyard. When you need the flexibility to park an extra car outside (or have lots of guests) you can park them there...grass or car? grass or car?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:54 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by David in LA
Get rid of the front lawn and replace with a cobblestoned courtyard. When you need the flexibility to park an extra car outside (or have lots of guests) you can park them there...grass or car? grass or car?
I did that to my drive way can fit 12 cars Got rid of the greens.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The current garage doors and openers preclude thought of any type of two car lift ... for they appear to open inwards ( horizontally) for ~8' in a 20' garage - figure that into a procedure for loading and unloading a lift

If additional cobble stone area does not appeal, go with the best Astro Turf .... the politically correct green solution ...
Old 10-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Great ideas guys for parking extensions... if I lived in a more rural environment. I can't really put astroturf or cobblestones in our new tiny front or side yard in this neighborhood... it just wouldn't look right, or be homogenous. Daily driver parking can only be accomplished by parking up the street at the end of the court in "the neutral zone" OR doing the driveway shuffle.

To start, I think I may attemtp to defy "cul de sac convention" and park on the corner before the court and see what's said.

I just found this on Wikipedia...

"The use of culs-de-sac reduces the amount of car traffic on residential streets within the subdivision, thus reducing noise and, some think, the potential for accidents. This, in turn, is thought to decrease crime and increase desirability, because in most cases the people who traverse the cul-de-sac either live there or are guests of those who do. Real estate developers like culs-de-sac because they allow builders to fit more houses into oddly shaped tracts of land, and facilitate building to the edges of rivers and property lines.[1] Culs-de-sac also facilitate gated communities, because of the small number of entrances.

Houses on culs-de-sac may be popular with some buyers, who, according to one study, might pay a 20% premium for such a home."

Ouch, that was us... having to pay that 20% premium in a buyer's market.

Steve R
Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

I live in a townhouse with a tandem garage (deep enough for an MBZ E-class and 1 PCar) so my other cars have to park out front of the complex. I hate parking anything on the street. I'd park in the driveway and on those occasions you feel the need for sPeed just play musical cars.

The lift idea is also interesting. I have 9' 6" to play with in my garage... but I don't think its' enough for a lift to stack the cars in my case.

So.. to reiterate, I'd park in the driveway.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Steve,
Just keep the BMW in the driveway behind the 993 at all times. Or mandate that the Acura stays outside from here on out...... I would stay away from leaving the 7-series on the street.

Our new home has two large driveways - one leads to a two-car garage and the other simply dead-ends on the far side of the house. For now, my daily driver resides at the end of the 'spare' driveway. Our plan is to build a second garage to match the first and have room for four indoor spaces. All in due time though, as other projects are on the horizon first.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Do you have to park your daily driver in your driveway blocking your garaged 993?