Take 3: 993RSCS 400+hp Hillclimb video, Longleat

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007 | 10:54 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Take 3: 993RSCS 400+hp Hillclimb video, Longleat

I have now uploaded my two timed runs from the Porsche Club Speed Championship penultimate round from Longleat on Saturday 22nd September. Going into this weekend I had to win at both Longleat on the Saturday and Prescott Hillclimb on the Sunday to seal the overall Championship victory for a second consecutive year. In truth I just about managed to supress my nerves enough to not only win both but also set new Porsche Club records at both venues. As I write this the Longleat videos are uploaded, keep a watch out for the Prescott videos later, just follow the link below and upload as usual.

http://www.ninemeister.com/jon/movies.html

The videos have been extended to show the start proceedure. If you look at the Longleat 2 video, you will hear that I slip the clutch a lot whilst moving up into the tyre warming area - this is deliberate as I am using our new twin plate carbon clutch package and it grips more as it gets hotter. You will then see me drop the clutch to warm the tyres before "staging" at the start line - there are timing flags on the front of the car which interupt the two timing beams across the start line, the first indicates you are ready, the second starts the clock. You cannot see from the video but there is a red/green light on the side of the track, as the light turns green you can launch when you are ready. Keep a listen out for my launch control rev limiter coming in as I give it 100% throttle, then use the clutch to get the weight transfer moving over the rear wheels as it takes off from the line. The rest of the run is all up to me!

Of note on these two videos is that the car is now running with a different exhaust. We managed to finish off the design of our adjustable length header package and fit it in time for these events, if you listen to the engine you should be able to tell that not only is it revving faster, it is also making more torque low down in the range in comparison to the previous events. I'm hoping to get a DVD from the camera crew at the event, if I get their permission I'll do another movie from outside the car.

Enjoy!

Last edited by NineMeister; 09-27-2007 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Redirected http link
Old 09-26-2007 | 11:25 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Awesome stuff Colin!
Old 09-26-2007 | 11:31 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Absolutely Brutal 9M, I was laughing out loud at the difference to my standard CS.

Are you back next year defending your speed championship crown?
Old 09-26-2007 | 12:10 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's funny you know, from where I sit it with the engine running everything seems so "normal", it's only when I look at the videos that I take the time to consider the performance as anything but normal. At least now you all have the hard evidence that the 9m 4.0 litre engine does actually make more than 400hp, even by Porsche measurements!

As ever, with the season barely over I am already thinking about how to go faster next year. As for defending the title for a second time, half of me wants to see someone else win on merit .... but the other half of me is the one that drives the car! Go figure.
Old 09-26-2007 | 12:35 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Best of luck for next season, look forward to seeing how the car develops further
Old 09-26-2007 | 02:51 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think we need to get a huge group buy started for the 9M parts - with enough participants that the cost of the manufacturing drops enough to make it cheap enough that 993 owners can't afford NOT to do the 9M upgrades
Old 09-26-2007 | 03:03 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NineMeister
As for defending the title for a second time, half of me wants to see someone else win on merit ....
If it happens, hopefully it will be on merit and 9M heads ! Awesome video. Now get to work on making these available to the US market at a price that won't make me have to sell a kidney !
Old 09-26-2007 | 04:36 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Guys, I think your best chance is if the budget deficit improves slightly at some point at the $ gets a bid again....
Old 09-26-2007 | 04:42 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Guys, I think your best chance is if the budget deficit improves slightly at some point at the $ gets a bid again....
Or he could just open a facility here and manufacture them with low cost labor.

It does really illustrate the pain that out-of-whack exchange rates can cause. Imagine if a huge market for your products was suddenly unable to afford to buy them at the lowest price at which you could afford to produce them.
Old 09-26-2007 | 09:05 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

The videos are a great endorsement of the upgraded products. I would definitely be interested in a group buy if/when available. Colin, tally up the interested parties.
Old 09-26-2007 | 09:15 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We should be working out a deal with a US distributor sometime soon, in the meantime we are putting the 9m Racing parts catalog online so that you can have a look at what you cannot afford (or not until the dollar recovers!). Here is the link to our new in-development website:
http://www.ninemeister.com
The full 9m Racing parts catalog can be found by clicking on the green 9m Parts logo in the left column. Please keep in mind that this is work in progress, but we are making it public due to customer demand for information. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by NineMeister; 09-27-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: redirected http link
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:33 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Those tracks are spectacular. The car is simply amazing.
Old 09-28-2007 | 10:53 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Colin, absolutely stunning!

We have GOT! to get this stuff over here! Otherwise when the time comes I'll be dropping, crating, and shipping my engine to you! Not having access to this stuff in the US is the equivalent of putting a juicy steak in front of a starving dog, and telling him to "sit." It's just a violation of natural law!!!
Old 09-29-2007 | 07:44 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Fascinating video - I wish we had something like that in my area of the US. How are cars classified? Is it weight/power, displacement, etc. and what does the 993 directly compete against.

I'm curious...no gloves?

Thank you for sharing...I have really enjoyed watching your videos.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 09-29-2007 | 01:40 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dan, I think the value of the dollar is the only thing stopping us selling 9m parts in the US at the moment. That said, if you guys want them I can ship them, simple as that.

Rick, the championship is based on a simple formulae around hp and weight, one which evolved around the cars that have been competing for the last 15 years or so. There are four classes:

Class 4: Up to 160hp, minimum weight with driver 1000kg
Class 3: 161 to 205hp, 1000kg
Class 2: 206 to 250hp, 1000kg
Class 1: 251 to 300hp, 1000kg, or 300+hp 1100kg
Also, any car in class 4, 3 or 2 can nominate to run on slicks instead of road legal tyres and simply move up a class. Any car in class 1 that runs slicks is penalised by adding 2% to the recorded time. My car is obviously class 1 and over 300hp so I have a 1100kg minimum weight, which is not an issue as the car weighs around 1140kg and I am another 94kg on top of that.

In class 1 there is a variety of tackle, notably:
2 x GT3RS, modified with Cup doors, plastic windows, exhaust, remap, 400ish hp
3.0 RS replica, 3.5 engine on high butterfly mechanical injection, 350hp, slicks
Supercharged 3.3 engined 3.2 Carrera, turbo brakes, 390hp
924 Carrera GT replica, 250hp class 2 car on slicks
964RSL & 964Cup
993RSL with 3.8 9m engine on motec, 380hp

The bottom line is that there is a class to suit any car, and modified cars are definitely encouraged! Have a look at the Club website for some Championship photos:

http://www.msdpcgb.co.uk/pages/speed04/speed04main.asp

Glad you all enjoyed the movies, I'm probably going to do another trackday before the end of the year so hopefully there will be some footage from this. I'm also looking at recording the full season next year so you will all be able to my ups and downs as they happen, but it is a shame I did not think to record the sprints because the track speed is spectacular! I'll see if I have any in my archive from last year.

Quick Reply: Take 3: 993RSCS 400+hp Hillclimb video, Longleat