Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Alert! New CHP laser speed trap trick vs. V1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 01:16 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alert! New CHP laser speed trap trick vs. V1?

OK, maybe not "new," but it angered me to see the deception.

Heading north on the 15 yesterday just south of the 91. See a motorcycle on the side of the road, assume it's a cop and slow down. See that he's "already got someone," so you ease back on the throttle. Notice the car pulled over is actually a white Z28. Oh isht...an unmarked CHP! By the time your brain adds two and two, the MC cop stops chatting with the "motorist," stands up and is splashing laser all over your windshield.

This is the second time in a month that I've seen the CHP using laser. I think I read (here?) that they just took delivery of 165 new laser guns. I can only imagine that sitting stationary all day and shooting laser is much more efficient for busting speeders than their "traditional" method of sneaking up from behind in traffic. One of the good things about the old system was that during these patrols, they could actually stop and help motorists, etc., god forbid! Now, it seems like there has been a fundamental change in the CHP's mission. Now all they want to do is write tickets, so public service is out the window. Great.

Is there a better choice than V1 to combat laser?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The MD State Police have been doing that trick (with instant-on radar) for twenty years now. When around cops, it's best to be ever-vigilant...or just drive at the speed limit.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info on the 15, I've never seen the Z-28 yet.

I've noticed that no one ever follows the speed limit on the 15. It's gotten to the point where I don't even use a detector on my communte to work. I'd just make sure you're slower than someone else.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point about the mission of the CHP.

They're starting to use laser ("lidar"?) up here in NorCal. Saw a story about it on the news, and last week, driving down and back up 280 between SF and SJ, I saw 3 cops in different locations parked sideways in the median pointing the laser gun in my direction. I guess sitting on the median, they can tag drivers in the fast lane easier. Lucky for me, I was going with the flow of traffic, not much over the limit. Note that they do this on downhill sections where people tend to go a bit faster. I only go fast uphill now.

I think laser jammers are illegal in CA, and probably will be in all states eventually. As laser replaces radar, detectors like the V1 become less useful. I was planning on buying one eventualy, but now I'm not sure it will do me any good. Then again, I really don't speed that much - not worth the risk.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know of the latest methods but I'm with the others. Under normal circumstances "going with the flow" will keep you out of trouble. I've even found that my GR 993 rarely gets a look from the Police as well. If I do choose to stretch the cars legs a bit when conditions permit, that is a risk I take knowing that I am breaking the law - even if I feel my actions are safe and appropriate. Because of this I don't even use a radar detector anymore. I must be getting old...

Regarding the "service" aspect - now that we have a fleet of "metro" service vehicles running around on the freeways to provide tire changes, gas, free tows, etc. to get people out of danger or get additional help, this has relieved some responsibility from the CHP.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
Regarding the "service" aspect - now that we have a fleet of "metro" service vehicles running around on the freeways to provide tire changes, gas, free tows, etc. to get people out of danger or get additional help, this has relieved some responsibility from the CHP.
Good, so we can now disband that group of !ssholes known as the CHP.

Will those "metro" service vehicles seek out and apprehend drunks and work to limit those activites whcih actually present a danger on the highways?
Old 09-24-2007, 03:57 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdude68
...Is there a better choice than V1 to combat laser?
Aside from a diffuser or shifter (the legality of which is questionable in California) IMHO your next best bet would be a BearTracker.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:07 PM
creator8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just up in Colorado this weekend and got hit with Laser coming into Denver on I70. I was in a rental and fortunately was barely speeding. There was a bike cop on one side of an overpass with the gun and a State Trooper in a car waiting to roll on the on ramp for my direction of travel.

My V1 beeped the warning but it was already too late. Unfortunately there's no "splatter" from Laser so when it goes off you've been hit. If you're speeding you got a ticket. Didn't know that they were ramping up Laser here so much.

On the topic of diffusers etc., the law actually is very clear. You're not allowed anything that would interfere with radar or laser enforcement and they'll get pretty medieval on you about it.

Only good thing about Laser is there needs to be a line of sight so you've just got to keep your wits about you. And BTW certain tail lights on certain vehicles will trigger the V1's laser detector.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I was out on the LA fwys and got a few laser alerts on my V1, didn't see any CHPs around though.
on the 710, and 10. I just counted them up to false alarms, I have read that some of the LED brake lights can set them off.
Man, if CHP is using lasers now, my wife is in for it.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
I was out on the LA fwys and got a few laser alerts on my V1, didn't see any CHPs around though.
on the 710, and 10. I just counted them up to false alarms, I have read that some of the LED brake lights can set them off.
Man, if CHP is using lasers now, my wife is in for it.
On the other hand if wifey gets popped you couldget some upgrades for the 993without any flack.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:40 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aside from a diffuser or shifter (the legality of which is questionable in California) IMHO your next best bet would be a BearTracker.
Bear tracker is worthless in an urban setting. It will always be alarming unless you turn down the squelch, then it never alarms. Mine didn't alarm as the MD state trooper was calling in my info while writing me a ticket. A CB would probably be more helpful since truckers are always calling in the speed trap locations to each other. The only way to beat laser is to be smarter than the operator. You have to anticipate where they are. I've seen them plenty of times on I95 north of Baltimore. They sit in the median in an unmarked car with the trunk or hood up. They have to see you, so you have to opportunity to see them first. All the V1 is going to do is let you know it's time to pull over and show somebody your drivers license.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:54 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys make it sound like they are not using radar anymore. Fact is they are. V1 never could alert you to 100 percent of threats anyway so I just use it as additional information when driving my car. Since its a weekend driver and I tend to speed in short blasts with this car rather than extended periods its really more about anticipating where there are possible threats. You take the chance either way and I don't think any police officer who uses instant on radar well is likely to be much more detectable than a lidar user except that you might get a momentary read on the radar user if he shoots another car ahead of you. CHP out here are just as likely to chase down a car going faster than the others pace and pull you over as to sit and shoot lidar or radar....at least thats how it is around here.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 AM
captain satellite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found my V1 helpful in showing lidar (second from top red light) on CA freeways, to help me slow down and then see the CHP minutes later going after someone else or at least passing me. May CHiPs seem to leave it on, sorta broadcasting they're around. If you get the instant on right at you there's probably not much you can do, but I think in crowded CA driving, the instant on at cars ahead gives some warning on the V!.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool I gave up...

On my occasional jaunts down to SoCal, a 5 hour drive on the interstate, 3 of which is in the boonies, I just drive with the flow, mostly, and keep my V1 on. On these trips I drive a Prius...loving that 40+ mpg and those 9 gallon fill ups.

In the near future if you want to drive briskly, you'll probably need the following:
1. V1 for certain, I still have the first V1 that came out with Laser detection,
2. Bear Tracker Scanner: I had one, its around here somewhere...it works well in the boonies. Had a few epic saves as well received early warning about a high speed police chase,
3. CB Radio,, Ugh, so noisy
4. A Phazer, Hmmm, maybe...but stealth mount it!
5. Perhaps a comely passenger for your on board spotter with binoculars.

I have seen the Camero cruisers in SoCal...we have Ford Victoria white CHP up here (Paso Robles, CA), but no Cameros. There are also several CHP planes that operate out of Paso Robles airport....me worry? Not so much...according to inside sources {See below}, the planes are tied up most of the time ferrying parts hither and yon for the CHP helicopters that consistently need parts and repairs.

I was told by a retired CHP officer in the Paso Robles, CA area, there once was a parade of exotic cars driving from I 5 to Highway 46 headed west. They had a helicopter spotting for them, and all were in communication with the helicopter.
CHP airplane spotted them and they were all caught including the helicopter pilot.

Bottom line, if you really want to drive fast, you;ll probably have to go to the track. There are 1 or 2 events a month in SoCal at the various venues. Going fast in a straight line, OK for some. Going fast around a sweeper that puckers your neither parts, now that is a high...and a real fix for my need for speed.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:37 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Bottom line, if you really want to drive fast, you;ll probably have to go to the track.
I just want to avoid chicken-isht tickets, like 85 in a 65. Is that "fast"?

Quick Reply: Alert! New CHP laser speed trap trick vs. V1?