Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you only got to keep 1 car due to buying a house, would you sell your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Napa Valley Realtor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HERE ARE THINGS TO CONSIDER:

How long has this home been on the market?

Is it likely to sell soon?

Can you wait for another (possible) 1/4 point or two, drop in interest rates before you buy?

Would this make the aquisition of the home significantly easier for you?

Are the funds from selling the car going to your initial 20% down?

Will the funds from selling the car lower your interest rate on your home purchase?

You have been without a morgage for four years, have you accounted for the additional tax write-offs you will get with this home purchase?

Is your local market weak enough that you could ask the seller for a "credit back" that would equal or exceed the funds gained from selling the car?

WHAT I WOULD DO:

If the house is everything you want and getting you closer to your daughter then go for it. Quality of life with your loved ones cannot be measured on a dyno.

I would keep the car, unregistered, uninsured, undriven for a short time and see if you can keep up with the bills. If you can then cycle your car back into the rotation, if you can't, then sell the car at that point.

Lastly is if you decide to sell the car, I would PM myself as I am in the market, but as most know I still have a fair amount of test driving to go before I decide which model I will be buying.

Good luck with your home purchase and I hope you are able to keep your cars.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Napa Valley Realtor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Napa Valley Realtor
HERE ARE THINGS TO CONSIDER:

How long has this home been on the market?

Is it likely to sell soon?

Can you wait for another (possible) 1/4 point or two, drop in interest rates before you buy?

Would this make the aquisition of the home significantly easier for you?

Are the funds from selling the car going to your initial 20% down?

Will the funds from selling the car lower your interest rate on your home purchase?

You have been without a morgage for four years, have you accounted for the additional tax write-offs you will get with this home purchase?

Is your local market weak enough that you could ask the seller for a "credit back" that would equal or exceed the funds gained from selling the car?

WHAT I WOULD DO:

If the house is everything you want and getting you closer to your daughter then go for it. Quality of life with your loved ones cannot be measured on a dyno.

I would keep the car, unregistered, uninsured, undriven for a short time and see if you can keep up with the bills. If you can then cycle your car back into the rotation, if you can't, then sell the car at that point.

Lastly is if you decide to sell the car, I would PM myself as I am in the market, but as most know I still have a fair amount of test driving to go before I decide which model I will be buying.

Good luck with your home purchase and I hope you are able to keep your cars.

I apologize for not reading the entire thread before posting. I had only read the first three pages and failed to see you are no longer looking at that particular house. That said, the same principals apply.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
JoseA
1st Gear

I'm fairly new to the forum and do more reading than writing. I hope to be in a 993 by early next year. DON'T SELL THE 993. You seem to have a lot of passion for it. It looks beautiful. Go outside right now and drive each car for 1/2 hour. One hour later your decision should be a "no brainer."
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Napa Valley Realtor
I would keep the car, unregistered, uninsured, undriven for a short time and see if you can keep up with the bills.
That is a lousy idea.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
That is a lousy idea.
I read that, too. The uninsured part is not a great idea. I'll defer to Greg's experience but, at the very least, one should have comprehensive. It's not that expensive; I pay $528 for everything (comp, liability, etc.) except collision on the 993.

Overall, good advice from NVR.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats on the new crib Steve. I like it better than the one your originally hoped to buy.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My comment was directed at the uninsured comment. No one can predict when someone might steal your car, etc. etc.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks folks.

Napa Valley Realtor... good points. I'll bring these up with a financial guy to see which applies or could work for us, but the car is staying.

Steve R
Old 10-01-2007, 03:42 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Steve -- glad to see things are working out for you and your wife! Certainly a fine line to walk!!
Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Napa Valley Realtor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
My comment was directed at the uninsured comment. No one can predict when someone might steal your car, etc. etc.

Maybe I got a little overzealous, but I meant cut every cost of the car possible.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default See....I was right!

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Steve,

I've read your posts here and on Time Zone and feel that I know you well enough to realize that whatever decision you make it will be the right one for both you and your family. Your have great logic, don't make rash decisions and are not afraid to ask for advice. I have no doubt you will make the right decision. Good luck and keep us posted.
First off you made the decision that was best for your family. Second you didn't make a rash decision and lastly it was the right decision.....closer to your step-daughter, beautiful home, and all the toys are still intact.

Congrats. I am happy for you as I'm sure the past few weeks have been quite stressful. Changing homes is on the short list of lifes big deals.

Quick Reply: If you only got to keep 1 car due to buying a house, would you sell your 993?