Sponsored by:

WTB Battery Maintainer.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB Battery Maintainer.....

Now that my p-car has been retired as a DD and sits in the garage during the week......I need a battery maintainer....I know there are two p-car ones, a black one and a gray one with a control box......what is the recommendation here, waht are the pros and cons of each and where is the best place to obtain, looked on ebay and the balck one is about $70 and the gray one is about $120......thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 AM
dhicks
Drifting

OK I did a search and have found loads of info.....looks like I will buy the simple black one....thanks to all the previous contributions....should have searched before posting!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

Can you give me the cliff notes? I need one for winter also.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the black oem one for the winter, and it is great!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:45 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

I have been using this one for the past couple of years without problem... love it. it also desulphate the battery.

http://www.pacificbattery.com/batteryminder.html

no affiliation....

George
Old 09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

battery tender plus!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:44 PM
LarryN
Advanced

Originally Posted by George Huang
I have been using this one for the past couple of years without problem... love it. it also desulphate the battery.

http://www.pacificbattery.com/batteryminder.html

no affiliation....

George
Yep, this the one I have, works great. Careful though, your car could get addicted to it and kill your battery beyond repair if you forget to plug it in for two weeks.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're looking for a maintainer, it's a good time to upgrade your primarly charger as well since it won't cost much more. The better smart chargers have "maintain" functionality built in.

Here's a good example:
http://store.schumachermart.com/sc25ampch.html
Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 AM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me be sure i understand this device. You have to plug it in the wall, correct, and so you disconnect the battery from the car and leave the hood open a bit for the wire to come in, correct? Or remove the relay for the interior and trunk lights. Correct?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by henkinc
Let me be sure i understand this device. You have to plug it in the wall, correct, and so you disconnect the battery from the car and leave the hood open a bit for the wire to come in, correct? Or remove the relay for the interior and trunk lights. Correct?
I have had Battery Tenders on all 4 of my Porsches. I permanently mount it next to the battery and make a extension cord that tucks under the carpet and that I pull out from the hood when I need to use it. As it is thin, just shut the hood on it - no need to deactivate the light or switch. Paid $30 for a Schumacher unit on sale at the local FLAP last year.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Battery Tender Plus. Great warrenty; I have two, one 6V and one 12V.
Nice discount at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:05 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Latch Trick

Originally Posted by Pete Lech
As it is thin, just shut the hood on it - no need to deactivate the light or switch.
While Pete's technique works, an alternative (that I picked up on another Battery Tender thread on this forum) is to, with the trunk lid up, manually close the latch. Then the trunk lid can be partially closed (one click) and the interior lights will go out and the alarm can be activated. Keeps from compressing the weatherstripping too.

Just have to remember to release the latch (from inside) before raising the hood.

- Dave
Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davesnothere
While Pete's technique works, an alternative (that I picked up on another Battery Tender thread on this forum) is to, with the trunk lid up, manually close the latch. Then the trunk lid can be partially closed (one click) and the interior lights will go out and the alarm can be activated. Keeps from compressing the weatherstripping too.

Just have to remember to release the latch (from inside) before raising the hood.

- Dave
I was just going to recommend that technique for the "on-battery" chargers. However, I'm a -1 on Battery Tender. I had one crap out after a couple years. The "Junior" model actually lasted longer. I would up with a the Porsche Charge-o-Mat for like $55. Avoid those ebay thieves and call Sunset, etc.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

I use the standard black Porsche brand that was around $60+-??. Plugs into cigarette lighter so simple. Had it for 4 years and no problems. Did find out though it is brand specific, went to use it on my Tundra and it lights up everything on the dash, lol.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I use the older black Porsche brick Battery Minder. There is a new, slicker looking Porsche Battery Minder that is "smarter" than mine. It too plugs into the lighter socket. They are on eBay for about $65 + S&H. It is probably cheaper to get the Schumaker 1 or 2 Amp charger for motorcycles and hardwire it in.

Quick Reply: WTB Battery Maintainer.....