Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Would you Paint your RS Side Skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:42 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd buy from Carnewal before their gone and the dollar takes another hit. Use the hardware that comes with the kit. The holes are minimal. I received mine in less than two weeks. I'd bet the knock-offs don't have the right texured finish as the OEM version. You'll need to look at a set of OEMs closely to see what I'm talking about.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:59 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Can these be installed without drilling the body?
I don't think so.

Scott
Old 12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
... I'd hate to have them fly off at 150 mph. Can these be installed without drilling the body?
Yes, but you will want to drill one hole in each wheel well to hold the back of them on. Do you need to drill the three holes in the side of the fenders? No. I didn't, but it would be a little tighter if I had. There is absolutely no way these could somehow fly off at 150 or 200 mph. They're still attached along the lengths of them underneath.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:51 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn '88 944S
Just for whats its worth, If you have ever done the factory rs skirts you will realise that "swapping" is not really an option as the tabs/fingers that hold the skirts onto the side of the body break VERY easily
Glenn
Funny you should mention the skirt tabs breaking easily; all of the passenger's side broke, so the skirt droops away from the body a bit.
Any ideas on how to replace the tabs (doubtful) or otherwise hold the skirt up against the body?
I wonder if that double-sided adhesive strip would do the trick. I'd rather not buy a replacement skirt and just keep breaking the tabs.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Funny you should mention the skirt tabs breaking easily; all of the passenger's side broke, so the skirt droops away from the body a bit.
Any ideas on how to replace the tabs (doubtful) or otherwise hold the skirt up against the body?
I wonder if that double-sided adhesive strip would do the trick. I'd rather not buy a replacement skirt and just keep breaking the tabs.
Zip ties. Srsly.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Why not use a whole bunch of silicone caulk? It can be peeled off for easy removal.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:11 PM
GG33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer them in black.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:04 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Why not use a whole bunch of silicone caulk? It can be peeled off for easy removal.
Hi Mark
Was this in response to my request re reattaching the side skirts? If so, its a good idea.
Heck, its a good idea even if it wasn't for me, and I think I will try it.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My take. If the car is for the track then why the skirts? Do they help? They are mostly for looks so paint them....they LOOK better. Not for the track. Someone tell me the usefulness of the track for the skirts....
Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by melman911
... Not for the track. Someone tell me the usefulness of the track for the skirts....
Well, PAG isn't exactly known for putting unneeded parts on the 993RS and 993RSCS, so it's fair to assume they do something useful. I suspect their contribution to the overall aero package is modest, though. But still, they were essentially designed for the track (RS/RSCS).
Old 12-18-2007, 10:27 AM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, PAG isn't exactly known for putting unneeded parts on the 993RS and 993RSCS, so it's fair to assume they do something useful
I see your point. I guess what I am trying to say is that most people out there who purchase these (in the US) are not doing it to improve their track times. Of course they came on the RS and RSCS, which was not imported to the US correct? So most people who put them on are trying to make their car look like an RS? We talk about modest performance gains in chips, air boxes, exhaust....I think the skirts are a streach. IMHO.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Hi Mark
Was this in response to my request re reattaching the side skirts? If so, its a good idea.
Heck, its a good idea even if it wasn't for me, and I think I will try it.
Hey, Rick,

Yes, my post was meant for you, as well as the Rennlist collective. I think the silicone would be tenacious enough to hold the skirts in place but not as permanenet as JB Weld, Gorilla Glue or some other hard-core adhesive.

Originally Posted by melman911
I see your point. I guess what I am trying to say is that most people out there who purchase these (in the US) are not doing it to improve their track times. Of course they came on the RS and RSCS, which was not imported to the US correct? So most people who put them on are trying to make their car look like an RS? We talk about modest performance gains in chips, air boxes, exhaust....I think the skirts are a streach. IMHO.
I think most people just put them on for looks, too. However, a tenth here or there per corner or another one or two miles per hour on the straight add up if you take your amateur racing or DE'ing as seriously as most of us do, however laughable that premise may.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 AM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Rick, sorry I just saw your post. I had about the same problem except that almost all of the driver's side fingers broke. These were Factory Porsche parts and the finish and color of the two sides did not match and I suspected a defective molding or material. Somehow I convinced the dealer (who was quite nice BTW) to exchange it for a new one. But this was after I had tried to repair the fingers with kevlar cloth, stainless steel shim stock strips on one side of the fingers, and epoxy. It held OK but I suspected that it wouldn't last so I did the exchange on the one side. That said, the fit of the factory sideskirts are only
passable IMHO.
Glenn
Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 AM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them black.

I went to MA Shaw for the RS package and they say they are only available OEM for $1200. So about the same as from Carnewal. Sure love the RS look, but the parts are adding up fast when you look at the current prices of the seats and speedlines.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:28 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by glenn '88 944S
Rick, sorry I just saw your post. I had about the same problem except that almost all of the driver's side fingers broke. These were Factory Porsche parts and the finish and color of the two sides did not match and I suspected a defective molding or material. Somehow I convinced the dealer (who was quite nice BTW) to exchange it for a new one. But this was after I had tried to repair the fingers with kevlar cloth, stainless steel shim stock strips on one side of the fingers, and epoxy. It held OK but I suspected that it wouldn't last so I did the exchange on the one side. That said, the fit of the factory sideskirts are only
passable IMHO.
Glenn
Hi Glenn
Thanks for sharing your good story about a dealer; we generally only hear the bad experiences.
Sounds like you did the smart thing with the exchange.
I'm not willing to spend the $ for a new skirt (this post gets weirder by the minute), so will keep looking.
Thanks again and best wishes for the holiday.

Quick Reply: Would you Paint your RS Side Skirts?