993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you Paint your RS Side Skirts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 03:33 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Default Would you Paint your RS Side Skirts?

The originals are black. I had them painted to match the car’s body color. I like the look. I think the car looks less “pinched”. However, my shop could not get them to fit closely to the body along their full length and the gaps here and there were apparent to me. On questioning my shop they invited me to look at a stock RS. It had the same gaps here and there. You just did not notice them since they were black. The other advantage of black skirts is that they do not show the dirt and they do get plenty dirty. Given that the new car color will be blood orange, black will contrast nicely. I would appreciate your thoughts. Here is a picture of my car as it looks before going for its repaint. I was originally going to retain the Carrera scripting but in a more modern font (second photo - I was planning on a black version of this Rennlister's scripting), but after considering some previous comments on the Board I probably will be loosing the Carrera scripting.
Attached Images   

Last edited by TargaTango; 09-13-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-13-2007 | 03:43 AM
allill
Drifting

Chris,

Your car looks great man! As far as the skirts, I can see the gaps you are talking about but it doesn't look bad. Painted skirts will probably need to be repainted every few years vs black being less maintenance. Up to you, you can always have two pairs and swap back and forth.
Old 09-13-2007 | 05:12 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

I saw a picture of an orange 993 in 911 porsche magazine this month. You should check it out. All RS specs. It was in Europe.
Old 09-13-2007 | 05:30 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

I have seen painted RS side sills on a car after a few trackdays, the stones flick up and leave stone chip marks exposing the original black plastic underneath, one advantage of leaving them in original black.
Old 09-13-2007 | 06:13 AM
964RSphil
Instructor

Looks better black in my opinion....love the graphics though.

Being body coloured it seems to pull the middle of car towards the ground and makes it look tubby.

My real RS still black for reference....

and my graphics that I have on my other RS...Always liked the Porsche logo instead of Carerra.

Just ideas i suppose
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:04 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964RSphil
Looks better black in my opinion....love the graphics though.

Being body coloured it seems to pull the middle of car towards the ground and makes it look tubby.

What he said, 'tubby'..the black shows the lines...luv your car man...
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:52 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:56 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

If the car's purpouse is to be a track car, then forget about painting it. They will look awfull after the first week-end. Go with black with no script. Can't go wrong when you have a car looking like 964RSphil's car.

BTW is your rollbar custom? If not, who manufactures it?

EDIT: Bill, why did you have to post a picture of your car?? Now my thoughts are all screwed up!!!
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:04 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
If the car's purpouse is to be a track car, then forget about painting it. They will look awfull after the first week-end. Go with black with no script. Can't go wrong when you have a car looking like 964RSphil's car.

BTW is your rollbar custom? If not, who manufactures it?

EDIT: Bill, why did you have to post a picture of your car?? Now my thoughts are all screwed up!!!
lol..same here....
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:52 AM
TargaTango
Racer

CWay27, My rollbar is a Heigo. As it is currently fitted there is a cross bar which is way to close to my knees. My mechanic is suggesting that we remove the lower part of the dash to allow that bar to be mounted a little further forward. Not sure how he can do this without making a new cross bar.

Thanks to all for their opinions and kind comments. Much appreciated. The cosmetics are the easy part. Still trying to sought out the stalling.
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:04 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you use the right paint on the splitters and skirts they don't get chewed up.

Don't ask me what it is but it is flexible and hard at the same time. My painter swears by the stuff and so far he's been right.
Both my blue and silver car have had the bumpers and hood on the silver car done that way. The silver car has many years of abuse on it the blue only a few.
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:28 AM
AX993
Pro

Originally Posted by allill
Chris,

Your car looks great man! As far as the skirts, I can see the gaps you are talking about but it doesn't look bad. Painted skirts will probably need to be repainted every few years vs black being less maintenance. Up to you, you can always have two pairs and swap back and forth.

Just for whats its worth, If you have ever done the factory rs skirts you will realise that "swapping" is not really an option as the tabs/fingers that hold the skirts onto the side of the body break VERY easily . OTOH I guess you could try to reinforce the tabs/fingers, but good luck with that !

I stayed with the natural black, but then my car is black !

Glenn
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:30 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jeez, I think both black and body color look great. Maybe you could paint the car black and have the best of both worlds (like mine)?
More seriously, chipping of the paint would be a real problem; could you use a film protector over them to protect the paint?
Lovely car you have there; well done.
Old 12-15-2007 | 09:11 PM
trophy
Race Car

Hi guys,

I like them in o'naturale, (Black) personally. However they do look good painted.

Slightly off topic however, Where can i source a set of the RS side Skirts? Is there only the factory option? Does someone make replicas? Any additional help is appreciated.

Regards
Old 12-15-2007 | 09:41 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
Hi guys,

I like them in o'naturale, (Black) personally. However they do look good painted.

Slightly off topic however, Where can i source a set of the RS side Skirts? Is there only the factory option? Does someone make replicas? Any additional help is appreciated.

Regards
I've been looking for RS sideskirts myself. I will leave them black to complement my two-tone grey/black scheme (inside and out). The reveal is being postponed for a bit (as I have added quite a few items to my project).

The only aftermarket set I was able to find was from a site in the Netherlands (link). They are priced right at 350 euros, but they are fibreglass and I'm not aware of anyone on this board having tried them to test fitment. I would stay away from fibreglass based on the abuse that the sideskirts will take.

Carnewal has them for 850 euros and I believe they are the OEM versions. Anyone know if Sunset has them and at what price?

Oh yeah, and what's the consensus on installation? I vaguely remember a post regarding use of double sided adhesive in order to avoid drilling holes. I'd hate to have them fly off at 150 mph. Can these be installed without drilling the body?

Quick Reply: Would you Paint your RS Side Skirts?