993 Forum 1995-1998

9m 400+hp 993RS CS Hillclimb video

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Chris,

Any update on your project? Have you fitted the 9M kit.

Cheers,

David
Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTango
Colin, Vantastic video. I can watch it and watch it and watch it. I hope to enjoy some of these thrills with my 9M +3 360hp kit once I hopefully get my stalling fixed and my engine live remap.
Just in case you get "used" to your +3 conversion, the good news is that there is room for "growth".
We have recently upgraded a customer's similar spec 964RS with the substitution of the 9m Sport cams for the 9m Race cam, removed the non-varioram intake to fit a set of 9m throttle bodies and fitted a set of headers. The RS was on Motec, so a couple of hours of dyno remapping later and the engine made a healthy 400-408hp at the flywheel. The RS subsequently achieved the customer's goal of pretty much matching the straight line performance of his friend's 996GT3RS and 997GT3RS.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:06 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Colin, I wonder how much faster you'd go with properly set up Motons or JRZs? Sounds like you're reaching the nth degree in engine development!
Impressive video, thx for posting.
You're welcome for the posting, only regret is not letting you all see it earlier.

As for the suspension, it is interesting that you mention shocks as I have had a brand new set of double adjustable remote reservoir JRZ's on my spares shelf for the last 3 years. I guess that I have not fitted them just because I did not had the time to spend setting them up. You have seen how I compete in the Speed Championship - even on the circuit sprints you have just one lap from a standing start - so there is precious little time to experiment with settings at an event other than the odd antiroll bar adjustment.

So given that I know my RS's handling inside out on the stock Bilsteins & RS springs, added to the kind of circuits I drive, if I fitted the JRZs with a suitably compromised spring rate for track and hill, how much faster do you think the car could go? Is there one second a mile to be had? Would I have to have different hill and circuit settings? Would I be better off just fitting a set on Cup springs & dampers? I'd be interested to read any suggestions with an open mind.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:38 PM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman
Hi Chris,

Any update on your project? Have you fitted the 9M kit.

Cheers,

David
David,

All is fitted and 4 significant matters remain to do:

1. fix stalling (see my post recently entitled "Stalling Continues - Help!"). I still have not learnt how to reference other threads.

2. relocate forward the horizontal piece of the roll bar which is touching my knees.

3. Repaint - my shop painted it in the wrong colour.

4. Have the ecu live remapped - my shop cannot do this and I have to take the car to Mainland China.

I had it for a week and apart from the stalling I was very happy with it. I do not want to write my impressions until I have properly lived with it.

All the best,
Old 09-08-2007, 11:42 PM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Just in case you get "used" to your +3 conversion, the good news is that there is room for "growth".
We have recently upgraded a customer's similar spec 964RS with the substitution of the 9m Sport cams for the 9m Race cam, removed the non-varioram intake to fit a set of 9m throttle bodies and fitted a set of headers. The RS was on Motec, so a couple of hours of dyno remapping later and the engine made a healthy 400-408hp at the flywheel. The RS subsequently achieved the customer's goal of pretty much matching the straight line performance of his friend's 996GT3RS and 997GT3RS.
That is a wicked suggestion! I wish I could consider it but this project has gone way of my budget (Which was grossly extravegant for me to start with). Maybe later. Would the 9M Race Cams be streetable?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:36 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
You're welcome for the posting, only regret is not letting you all see it earlier.

As for the suspension, it is interesting that you mention shocks as I have had a brand new set of double adjustable remote reservoir JRZ's on my spares shelf for the last 3 years. I guess that I have not fitted them just because I did not had the time to spend setting them up. You have seen how I compete in the Speed Championship - even on the circuit sprints you have just one lap from a standing start - so there is precious little time to experiment with settings at an event other than the odd antiroll bar adjustment.

So given that I know my RS's handling inside out on the stock Bilsteins & RS springs, added to the kind of circuits I drive, if I fitted the JRZs with a suitably compromised spring rate for track and hill, how much faster do you think the car could go? Is there one second a mile to be had? Would I have to have different hill and circuit settings? Would I be better off just fitting a set on Cup springs & dampers? I'd be interested to read any suggestions with an open mind.
Colin,

I wouldn't hazard a guess about how much faster you would go, but I suspect it would make more of a difference in improving your speed than incremental engine modifications.

Since the JRZs would be able to enhance both your tire contact and feel, I would imagine you would both be faster in the corners and put more power down.

Since you already have them sitting on the shelf....

Other opinions?

ps. If you're not going to use your JRZs, I would be happy to 'store' them for you...

Quick Reply: 9m 400+hp 993RS CS Hillclimb video