Sponsored by:

How accurate is your Oil Level guage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem reading the dipstick, because of the texture and its cleanliness. I check it like 7 or 8 times before I can get a reaidng that I feel safe about. The gauge seems to be pretty accurate so I rely mostly on the gauge, and check the stick once in a while. Much different than my 3.2 - the whole range seems to be about a quart on the 993
Old 09-05-2007, 02:28 AM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to agree on the guage being accurate. When it's reading, it's right on. The problem is it sticks. The manual reading of the dip stick is a event on it's own. although it does not lie.

I will be sending the guage to NHS soon and will re-post with my results.

Thanks,

Roy.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:52 AM
tctung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oil gauge is fairly accurate. The whole range is about 1.2 to 1.3 liters (about a third of your American gallon). However, my odometer is dead for no reason lately, which is stuck at 67,640 kilometers (about 42K miles), while the speedo hand is still showing how many kilometers per hour I am going. Ironically, it is the first defect I have ever received from the car since I bought it--a pretty good defect. I am sure you know what I mean.

Last edited by tctung; 09-05-2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:44 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Mine ie right on. Every time.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:41 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default How accurate does this look?

The first photo shows the guage at idle. It's 'working.'

The second photo shows the dipstick.

If I add a quart to top off the dipstick, the guage will raise to 3 O'Clock. My car will also use that quart in the next 150 miles, causing me great anxiety about possibly needing a top end rebuild. If I just leave it at this level it pretty much stays there.

Garth S posted very informative information about 'appearant' oil consumption in reply to one of my questions on this forum. A call to my original mechanic (different city) confirmed this.

I'm considering covering this guage with a "Check Dipstick" decal. I also ordered a new dipstick, which i plan to score with a file in order to get a better reading.
Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Compared to mine, your guage isn't right. Full on the stick would have my guage pegged to the top. It seems that anything above the red is "too much" in your case.

Originally Posted by 993James993

If I add a quart to top off the dipstick, the guage will raise to 3 O'Clock. My car will also use that quart in the next 150 miles, causing me great anxiety about possibly needing a top end rebuild. If I just leave it at this level it pretty much stays there.

Garth S posted very informative information about 'appearant' oil consumption in reply to one of my questions on this forum. A call to my original mechanic (different city) confirmed this.

I'm considering covering this guage with a "Check Dipstick" decal. I also ordered a new dipstick, which i plan to score with a file in order to get a better reading.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

I would let the other experts here chime in BUT if you were getting a reading on the dipstik (which showed in the pic) and you added a quart you added way too much oil and are just blowing it out hence the useage you mention. If you are getting a reading on the dipstick regardless of where it is (on the twirl part) there is plenty of oil in the car.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by McGarrett
I'll have to agree on the guage being accurate. When it's reading, it's right on. The problem is it sticks. The manual reading of the dip stick is a event on it's own. although it does not lie.

I will be sending the guage to NHS soon and will re-post with my results.

Thanks,

Roy.
Is it the guage or the sending unit that's at fault here?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Oil qty. between the top of the "full" portion and the bottom of the twisted part is 1.5 L (apx 1.6 qt +/-). From the photo of you holding the dipstick it looks like it's smack in the middle of the twisted part, hence you would add NO MORE THAN .75 qt.

Personally, I wouldn't add any, NONE, with that reading, wait till the level gets to the bottom of the twist. On my car, if I fill it to the top it will burn down to the 1/2 way point and then stay there.

Again, don't add any oil at that point, you'll just burn it off (as you've found out).
Old 01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

When my dipstick registers at 1/2-3/4 way "full", my gauge sits at/or between 8 and 9 o'clock at an idle , level ground, and warmed up for some time.

If my gauge isnt registering or sitting slightly in the red after running for a period of time and sitting at a level idle for a few minutes, Im usually below a little below 1/2 "full" on the dipstick.

At least for the past 5 years, thats my thesis.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 PM
fullbooker
Racer

My gauge works OK, but only when car is warmed up, at idle, on flat land. I use it just for "Ball Parking" until I can check the dipstick.
Phil
Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 PM
shamrock
Racer

James , to me your engine isn't warmed over enough to get a proper reading from your oil gauge ... correct me if I'm wrong , but if you let the oil temp get hot enough to read at the 9 o' clock position (just below the temp at which the oil cooler fan kicks in), you'll probably find that the oil level will rise to point straight at it , ie will be at the 3 o' clock position . You'll probably be reading about 2 bar on your pressure gauge at the time.

Now I might get slapped by the collective for suggesting this , but if you want the temp to rise a bit quicker , throw a blanket/coat/furry animal or similar over the rear spoiler....
Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Shamrock, thats about as hot as it ever gets. I had just driven the car 20 some miles when I checked the oil.

I try to avoid stop and go traffic in this car at all costs as I have the RS pulley.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:38 AM
shamrock
Racer

Shamrock, thats about as hot as it ever gets. I had just driven the car 20 some miles when I checked the oil.
It might be worth just letting the car run on idle back in your driveway after the 20 mile run to see if the oil level gauge comes to life... The oil cooler is keeping the oil temp at the 194 mark while the car is tipping along , but the oil temp will rise once the car is stationary .. Unless you've got the oil cooler fan running on constant high?
Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shamrock
James , to me your engine isn't warmed over enough to get a proper reading from your oil gauge ... correct me if I'm wrong , but if you let the oil temp get hot enough to read at the 9 o' clock position (just below the temp at which the oil cooler fan kicks in), you'll probably find that the oil level will rise to point straight at it , ie will be at the 3 o' clock position . You'll probably be reading about 2 bar on your pressure gauge at the time.
The location where James' oil temp gauge is at in the photo is where my front oil cooler opens up. You can really see it on cooler days, when it gets to that mark and then in the matter of a few seconds it drops a good 1/8 - 1/4 inch, and I can watch it drop. It will then rise back up during the drive but only on the very hottest days w/ A/C on will it get even close to 9 o'clock position. Of course my car sees very little stop & go driving.

I wait until I've seen it drop before I consider it warm enough to check the oil level.

Quick Reply: How accurate is your Oil Level guage?