Sponsored by:

change 993 fuel pump to aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:04 PM
indraporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default change 993 fuel pump to aftermarket

Can a Porsche 993 fuel pump be changed to an aftermarket fuel pump such an Aeromotive Fuel Pump without any problem ?
I plan to change my fuel pump, because my fuel pump is noisy right now than it used to be and if it is ok i want to change to Aeromotive Fuel Pump.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:11 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Unless the stock pump cannot supply enough fuel, I would just replace it with a std. one, one that doesnt make noise
Old 08-25-2007, 05:22 PM
indraporsche
Intermediate

I totally agree with your suggestion Chris, but the problem is that my fuel pump is noisy right now, and i'm going to check whether the fuel pump supply enough fuel or not next week.
If it is not supply enough fuel, i just plan to replace the fuel pump with a new bigger capacity atermarket one..
The reason i want to buy an aftermarket, because the stock of the aftermarket is available, not like the Porsche Oem that i have to order and wait from other country.
I live in Indonesia that only have 1 porsche centre for the whole country and they don't have the stock for the fuel pump and don't have many 993 parts.

Thanks for your kind help Chris & forgive my bad english.

Last edited by indraporsche; 08-25-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just order one from Sunset?

Originally Posted by indraporsche
I totally agree with your suggestion Chris, but the problem is that my fuel pump is noisy right now, and i'm going to check whether the fuel pump supply enough fuel or not next week.
If it is not supply enough fuel, i just plan to replace the fuel pump with a new bigger capacity atermarket one..
The reason i want to buy an aftermarket, because the stock of the aftermarket is available, not like the Porsche Oem that i have to order and wait from other country.
I live in Indonesia that only have 1 porsche centre for the whole country and they don't have the stock for the fuel pump and don't have many 993 parts.

Thanks for your kind help Chris & forgive my bad english.
Maybe just order one from a 'discount' Porsche dealer here in U.S. Unless shipping is prohibitive???
Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You better make sure there is a pressure balance between your Porsche and the aftermarket fuel pump. Could be a fire hazard.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

A noisy pump is usually a sign that it's on its way out.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by phelix
A noisy pump is usually a sign that it's on its way out.
Or its feed is restricted and that makes a good case to pull the in-tank filter screen and have a look.

Its worth repeating that these Motronic Bosch pumps are axial-flow units that are cooled & lubricated by the very fuel they are pumping. This means that when the tank is very low, air can be sucked in that will make the pump noisy and if the tank is permitted to run dry, these pumps suffer some damage while repriming to start and that shortens their life.

Given the operating pressure, pump volume, proprietary fittings, and durability of these Bosch pumps, I would not use anything else on these cars. Race cars get the Bosch Motorsports version of these pumps (higher volume for 350+ HP).
Old 08-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would listen to Steve.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:13 AM
indraporsche
Intermediate

Seems that i have to agree with most of you to use an OEM pump, Thanks a lot to all, i really appriciate the help, and there is no other choice beside uses an OEM fuel pump at last.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

Given the operating pressure, pump volume, proprietary fittings, and durability of these Bosch pumps, I would not use anything else on these cars. Race cars get the Bosch Motorsports version of these pumps (higher volume for 350+ HP).
There are some who feel that the new, silver OEM pumps are of dubious quality relative to the old blue pumps and that they may have been outsourced. Does anyone know: Is there any validity to this?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 AM
sonny1
Banned

Originally Posted by indraporsche
Can a Porsche 993 fuel pump be changed to an aftermarket fuel pump such an Aeromotive Fuel Pump without any problem ?
I plan to change my fuel pump, because my fuel pump is noisy right now than it used to be and if it is ok i want to change to Aeromotive Fuel Pump.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
That pump wont fit the stock location, all these Bosch pumps are noisy, some more than other, just replace your pump with the stock one, make sure it goes with the stock rubber sound deadening canister, if you want you also can get the 044 Bosch pump, this will take care of the placebo effect.! cheers.
Sonny1.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
There are some who feel that the new, silver OEM pumps are of dubious quality relative to the old blue pumps and that they may have been outsourced. Does anyone know: Is there any validity to this?
I think you are referring to the pre-3.6 litre ignition coils, not fuel pumps.

Bosch pumps have been extraordinarily reliable over the years with no real history of troubles.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I think you are referring to the pre-3.6 litre ignition coils, not fuel pumps.

Bosch pumps have been extraordinarily reliable over the years with no real history of troubles.
Yes, there are not many posts addressing fuel pumps. Therefore, they must be holding up well. I was considering replacing the tightly bent rubber hose as a matter of maintenance with a possible preemptive replacement of the fuel pump as these cars are now decades old. Is there any merit in either of these? Photos in link here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post7485262

It sounds like the 044 Bosch can be purchased for $200, which is less than the original fuel pumps, and may be an option.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 193 Likes on 96 Posts

If you ever plan to upgrade the engine to 450hp you can replace the pump with a Bosch "044" motorsport unit which is a direct replacement provided you make a special fitting for the M18 outlet port of the pump. I run these in all our high hp applications and have yet to have an issue. Otherwise just buy a new OEM Bosch pump with the same fittings and all will be good.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:51 PM
IainM
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm working a potential fuel pump failure on another thread but found this and would like to ask if I should replace the fuel lines as well as the pump?

Having suffered a VW fastback fuel line fire in the past I worry about this. Are the fuel lines the problem or is it the clamps that attach them?

I'm thinking I should replace the whole fuel line as well as the pump?

Am I paranoid?

Quick Reply: change 993 fuel pump to aftermarket