Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Fixed my Targa Roof!

Hello,

I spent a couple of hours in the garage tonight with my fresh parts order from Sunset. 91.00 dollars and 2 hours later, I have a fully functional Targa roof and sunshade!!

Roof always worked but shade never did. I removed all the trim which gave me a good chance to reglue all the peeling vinyl. I then replaced the sun blind cable, track and guides on the driver side (plus some other odds and ends). I also tightened and readjusted the top while everything was out. Works flawlessly!! I am thrilled since the dealer wanted $200.00 just to diagnose it.

This was an easy repair overall, the top is not that scary once you get all the trim off and study it. Just a big jigsaw puzzle

Thanks to Amfab for giving me some email guidance
Old 08-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats! That is a feeling of accomplishment. I fooled around with my former 993's targa roof and, yes, it was scary until you figured out how it worked. Enjoy it.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 AM
fevans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job! I am in the same boat. How did you figure out which parts you needed? TIA
Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Guy,
I'd be interested too. My shade doesn't work either. The cable and track is fine - the shade roller is just stuck... would love to see the guidelines.

TIA
Old 08-25-2007, 12:32 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

To diagnose the problem. I removed the header trim above the visors and both side trims. You need to remove the visors, coathooks to accomplish this. There is a small nut underheath the header trim that holds eash side trim in place. They then can be slid back and removed.

Once this trim is off, the top mechanism is far easier to look at. On my car, the passenger side was fine so I had something to compare to. I located a broken front bracket for the upper shade guide rail, a broken lower shade track, a bad cable (broken end) and missing bushings on the shade.

I purchased my parts from Sunset and ordered a few extras just to have on hand. Most of the items were super cheap (bushings, front bracket) so order some extra to allow for breakage etc. They typically are not stocked so replacements come direct from Germany. The most expensive pieces were the cable at $46.00 and the lower rail at $18.00.

Assembly is like a jigsaw puzzle, there is only one order to reassemble most of these items. I started with the cable and went from there. After removing the pull bar from the front of the cable, there is a small screw which prevents the cable from going forward. Remove that, remove the blind motor on teh rear deck and the cable simply pulls out the front. Replacement is opposite. Be sure that both sides are fully forward before reinstalling motor.

Lower rail snaps in place, upper rail has spring metal on the rear and a plastic front bracket up front. Be sure to order the little bushing or else the front bracket will slip out of the hole (993-562-547-00).

When you watch this system work, I can't help but believe that they made it far more complicated than it has to be. The sunblind does not just roll backward, it does all kinds of acrobatic stunts when it opens (rides up top, then drops down in place.) Why they did this is beyond me but its kinda neat to watch it in action.

Resist the temptation to lube the sunshade items or cable. Apparently lithium grease deteriorates the plastic parts.

Also, check your header and side trim for peeling vinyl and hairline cracks. My vinyl was peeling and my header had cracks concealed under the vinyl, this made the header droop on either end. I reinforced these areas and Duramixed the reinforcement in place for a nice tight repair from behind. Also, the dealer who looked at the top previously, did not bother to slide the side trims in the track properly, this casued them to hang down slightly and reak havok with my window weatherstrip. It takes a little effort to get the side trim in properly but they fit nice and tight when properly installed.

Should have taken pics, but I get focused when I work and always seem to forget
Old 08-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jonathank2000
Guy,
I'd be interested too. My shade doesn't work either. The cable and track is fine - the shade roller is just stuck... would love to see the guidelines.

TIA

I would remove the trim as described, then locate the 5 inch pot metal pull bar that attacheds to the shade. There is a #5 torx head that holds the pullbar to the cable, once that is removed, the pullbar can be rotated and removed off the cable. This will allow you to manually pull out the sunblind like a window shade. That should help you reveal the problem. If the sunblind rotates freely and retracts smoothly, your problem lies in the cable or track. When the pieces break, I imagine that they can bind up the works, especially up front where the clearance is tight with the sunblind roller. Just an idea....
Old 08-25-2007, 10:45 AM
fevans
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Guy. I've got a broken bit or two. Maybe I can get some pics up. My sunshade is the problem, the top itself works fine.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:55 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Guy, Everytime I see one of your posts' I wish that I wouldnt have been talked out of a targa!!! If you ever want to trade for a midnight blue coupe just let me know!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:01 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I need to speak to you, too. My roof works great, but sun shade came off at the drive connections. What do you think?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fullbooker
Hey, I need to speak to you, too. My roof works great, but sun shade came off at the drive connections. What do you think?

The metal pull bar is sandwiched between the cable end (which is part of the cable assembly itself ) and the support (part number 99356258500 or 58600 depending on side). there is a #5 torx holding it together. check that out. If the cable end is still in place, you can the support. If the end is broken, replace the cable assembly as I did.

Hope that helps
Old 08-30-2007, 03:59 PM
fevans
Rennlist Member

Has anyone got the tech sheet on the targa top that was bounced around a few years ago? The computer I had at the time died with my copy on it.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:51 PM
jonathank2000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fevans
Has anyone got the tech sheet on the targa top that was bounced around a few years ago? The computer I had at the time died with my copy on it.
Forest,
I have it. PM me your email address and I'll send it off to you.

Pics would be FANTASTIC!!

Quick Reply: Fixed my Targa Roof!