Sponsored by:

Fan override switch DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:41 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan override switch DIY

I finally got to install a fan override switch in my 993. Scott (cahrera) got me the 944 hazard switch from parts heaven, p-car.com and rennlist gave me the know how. Very easy to do once you figure out which contacts to use on the back of the switch. The hardest part of the whole thing was removing the ccu, once that was out it was a breeze. Yesterday I was stuck in SF traffic and my temp got high. Hopefully this does the trick and I won't have to go into panic mode while trying to look cool in my 993.

Thanks Scott, Robin, and everyone else who has dropped knowledge on this DIY.

One thing about the switch, when you dremel or file off the tabs, don't go too far down. I did and now the switch has a little play when mounted.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

where did you mount the swith? got a pic?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 AM
allill
Drifting

I mounted the switch in the center console between the cab top and tail switches.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The only other pain in the butt is filing down some plastic bits of the switch to make it fit in the console...
Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would still like to do this mod but find my temps to be in a comfortable range for the most part following my replacement of the oil cooler resistor.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this mod on the weekend with the help of C4S_fan, as mentioned the filing was a pain in the ***
and also getting the CCU back in - the connectors / wires dont have alot of play and with 2 men with big hands it wasn't easy.

All in all it's installed now and i never have to watch that damn gauge register over 9 O'Clock ever again when stuck in traffic

Old 08-22-2007, 04:59 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I installed the switch without removing the CCU(too scared to do so). I found it was quite easy to find the green/black wire from the large connector(bottom connector I believe). I had to remove some of the tape and tie wraps that bound the wire bundle together, but as I said, it was pretty easy.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:04 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by coltj
FWIW, I installed the switch without removing the CCU(too scared to do so). I found it was quite easy to find the green/black wire from the large connector(bottom connector I believe). I had to remove some of the tape and tie wraps that bound the wire bundle together, but as I said, it was pretty easy.
You know, I thought about doing it that way as well. I saw the wire from under the dash but didn't know if there may have been one with the same colors as part of the other harness.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:10 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There may very well be a green/black wire from the other, smaller connector, but I recall reading in another post or DIY that the g/b wire in question was from the large connector.

Quick Reply: Fan override switch DIY