Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Scantool Interface(for 1995 OBD1 cars) & the Immobilizer, is there a workaround?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:16 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Scantool Interface(for 1995 OBD1 cars) & the Immobilizer, is there a workaround?

Need some help here. I am in the middle of coordinating a group buy for fully assembled 993 (1995 model only) & 964 hardware interface to be used in conjunction with DougB's Scantool freeware. My efforts have been on the hardware for the interface only, details in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367516&highlight=obd1

The trouble I am having now is in the testing of the 993 versions. Rennlist member RallyJon has been testing my 993 hardware interface prototype. Hardware design is the RayCM schematic that several other 993 rennlisters have made on their own with good results. Here are the testing results for my 993 prototype.

a)prior to shipping to RallyJon the interface was tested and works properly on my 964 with the switch set to the DME (ECU) position
b)RallyJon can connect to the all the modules (ABS/SRS/CCU/ALRM) except for the ECU.

My suspicion is that this is immobilizer related. RallyJon has confirmed that his 1995 993 has the immobilizer. The fact that the hardware interface tests fine on my 964 and RallyJon can connect to all modules except the ECU tells me that most likely the hardware interface is fine and constructed properly. RallyJon also owns a Bosch Hammer and has no issues connecting to the ECU with his hammer.

Here are the prior posts detailing some of the difficulties of using the Scantool software on a 993 with an Immobilizer:

Immobilizer links about scantool:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...8&postcount=42
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=247
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=257
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=261

My question to the 993 forum is for those of you who are using DougB's scantool software and a RayCM schematic board on a 1995 993 with an immobilizer, what have you done to get a connection to the ECU? The suggested procedure from Pdriver in one of the links above did not work.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM
PDriver
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RicardoD
...The suggested procedure from Pdriver in one of the links above did not work.
Sorry to hear. On my car the discribed workaround is running. I couldn't test it on other cars.

If there is somebody with a bosch hammer and an oscilloscope, he could make a data dump of the L- and K-Line when connecting the hammer with the DME.

Regards,
PDriver
Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by PDriver
Sorry to hear. On my car the discribed workaround is running. I couldn't test it on other cars.

If there is somebody with a bosch hammer and an oscilloscope, he could make a data dump of the L- and K-Line when connecting the hammer with the DME.

Regards,
PDriver
I tried this unit(Davids's) also, works great on everything but the DME ecu. I bought one and am planning to either get rid of the immobilizer or try your jumper.

Did anyone in Cowtown's original offering get theirs to work on a 993 w/ immobilizer? I bought one of those bare boards as well but don't have the skill set to build one on my own.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:20 PM
billa77
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PDriver

Regards,
PDriver
I have also tried and can connect to the all the modules (ABS/SRS/CCU/ALRM) except for the ECU.

I have then tried without success the procedure PDRIVER described in :
Public-domain OBD1 PCB board - ORDER HERE
# 269

Update!

Until rereading the posts I did some different setups to try connection to the motronic. And suddenly scantool was connected to it without the workaround (switch installed to the immobilizer unit). So I retried to connect several times and here is my way to connect to the motronic in my '95 cab with remote and immobilizer:

Setup:
- Car closed and locked.
- Laptop inside and connected to OBD. Switches to:
- SW1/1 = DME/CCU/ABS/ALARM (not SRS)
- SW2/1 = DME (Motronic)
- Scantool4 not running

1. Press remote control to unlock the door.
2. Open door
3. Put the key into the ignition
4. Ignition on, but do not start the engine
5. Run scantool4.
6. Scantool4 tries to connect several times but fails.
7. Close scantool4
8. Run scantool4 again
9. Scantool4 tries to connect several times until connection is done. Scantool4 shows all data you need.
Note: If you switch off ignition you have to lock your car and do all this from beginning.

This work for me on my car. Can anyone of you with the same problems check this with your cars?

PDriver

Does this procedure work for anybody else?
Before doing the immobiliser switch modification PDRIVER describes in
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=247
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 PM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone else has a renewed interest in getting Scantool Interface for the 1995 OBD1 cars? How can we get another group buy together?

Ken
Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ken, see https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=367516&page=5

BTW, with the Cowtown PCB and Scantool 4 and UK PA100s, all control units connect fine after pressing alarm fob, ignition on, fire up scantool, select control unit on Scantool and switches .

I sourced 4 units for Porsche Club GB, ran a seminar on it last Sunday with both round plug and OBD2 plug cars ..

cheers, Maurice
Old 03-04-2008, 01:47 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

with both round plug and OBD2 plug cars ..
does this mean it will work with varioram models too?

cheers

Lee
Old 03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure thing !

cheers, Maurice
Old 03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

sorry, I should have been a little more precise...will this work on my 1996 c2 UK version?

Lee
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

One or other version will, yes ...

If you're VRam, you're probably got OBD2 connector (more rectangular than round!)

cheers, Maurice
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

I Have!! cool.

I also have an Andy Whitiker interface that I had for my Alfa GTV...I seem to have read that these work with Doug's software with a small mod, do you know anything about this?

Thanks

Lee
Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by leeshephard
sorry, I should have been a little more precise...will this work on my 1996 c2 UK version?

Lee
The RoW are all OBD1 w/ OBD2 ports from the midle of '95.

I still haven't been able to get my scan tool to read the ECU, but it does a great job everywhere else.

The issue is the Driveblock

Last edited by Bill Verburg; 03-05-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
leeshephard
Instructor

ah, thanks for clearing that up Bill.

Lee
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leeshephard

I also have an Andy Whitiker interface that I had for my Alfa GTV...I seem to have read that these work with Doug's software with a small mod, do you know anything about this?

Thanks

Lee
Yes, I believe so .. best check via search on the 964 forum, I seem to remember some of those guys disconnecting LEDs (and thus losing visibility of signal activity) before the Whittaker boards would work. And I am assuming that he did not make different boards for Alfa vs Porsche. This could be a dangerous assumption, so best check ..

And is the car end connector appropriate ?

cheers, Maurice
Old 03-05-2008, 10:21 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The RoW are all OBD1 w/ OBD2 ports from the midle of '95.

I still haven't been able to get my scan tool to read the ECU, but it does a great job everywhere else.

The issue is the Driveblock
Hi Bill

UK cars have a UK supplied but PA1000 branded system standard, with a sort of 'drive block' feature. If you leave the car unlocked for more than 30 secs or so, you must use the alarm fob to start the engine. But we seem to be able to talk to the ECU happily once alarm is turned off and ignition on.

Is your configuration file set to 9600 baud for DME dialogue ?

cheers, Maurice

Quick Reply: Scantool Interface(for 1995 OBD1 cars) & the Immobilizer, is there a workaround?