Sponsored by:

readiness codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went for a drive and watched my tach and clock carefully. My goal was to keep it between 1200-2800 rpms for at least 5 min. I must admit, I have never ever drive that way before and it was so different. But I did it. I went through most of the steps. Got home, pulled my codes and there were none. But three lamps flashed on my scanner and the manual says they're "catalysr monitor, secondary air monitor and oxygen sensor monitor". I'm not sure what is happening and I don't understand the insturction manual well. To make it worse, I stopped off at my favorite shop today and they said there was no work around. I just had to get the readiness codes reset or I am SOL. What the hell do I do? And how will my scanner read when they are reset?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick, this thread sure has my attention... I'm sorry for you but glad you are pursuing this. I think you just saved me some $$.
I had done some work over the past few days and had to disconn. the battery... AND I need to go in for a smog check.
Anxiously awaiting the answer to your last question.
Ordered an OBDII scanner.

I am going to guess that what you see on the scanner is what you see when those aren't "ready". I hope I'm wrong...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've disconnected my battery before and never had any code issues, other than the factory radio.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
mbriggs993
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts
Wink

I had this same issue with a new battery a couple of year ago. I could not get them to reset until one early Sunday morning I was able to follow "ecobb's" procedure exactely and then they reset and all was well. Passed smog the next day.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess I should be able too do the BMW procedure tomorrow as long as each step doesn't have to be consecutive.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove over 300 miles, trying to follow the various routines without success. So I went to the Smog Referee and they passed my car. There is a sticky on the Pelican 993 board about the potential positive implications of how that can help with the SAI.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't want to just show up for emissions inspection again and hope my readiness codes are reset. I'll keep at it until I can see it for myself before I go wait in line and pay money again.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just found out that in VA 96-00 cars are allowed up to two monitors in not-ready mode. So if I can get just one of my three to reset, I should be good to go for a retest.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done " cgfen's " posted procedure for my last 3 smog checks. My understanding is you have to do the procedure TWICE. I get up middle of the night and do it when there is not much traffic. I used to do it in two different nights but I got thinking and now I do it in one trip.......leave my house and do the procedure ( THEN TURN OFF THE ENGINE ) and on my way home I do the same thing.....works great! Also, in California all you need is have 6 flags ready, so having a scanner is a MUST ! On my way home I watch the scanner, as soon as 6 flags are ready I skip the rest of the procedure and drive on home ( DO NOT GO OVER 3000RPM! ) The next morning go directly to the nearest station. Hope this help.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
I guess I should be able too do the BMW procedure tomorrow as long as each step doesn't have to be consecutive.
I think you have to do the steps in order BUT you don't have to do them one right after the other, you can drive between the steps just make sure you don't go over 3k RPM or 65 mph (?) and you don't shut the car off. I don't have the procedure in front of me but if it says to drive at 25 mph for 3.5 min. you just need to drive for AT LEAST 3.5 min at that speed, you don't have to drive for exactly 3.5 min. Then get to a road that will allow you to drive the next step and do that, and so on.

I know it sounds difficult but it's really easy to run the routine and doesn't take that long if the roads are accommodating.

The only hard part about the procedure is not letting the tach go over 3k rpm and keeping the car under 65 on the freeway.....

Good luck
Old 08-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was only able to run my scanner with the engine running, though the booklet said not to do that. It came up with an error in any other key position. Anyway, can I leave my scanner hooked up while driving and then monitor my codes?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:15 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the monitor - If it reads live data, then I would think it will be okay. But I don't know if readiness flags set after a key off event or not.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:24 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 573 Posts

[QUOTE=Don't lift]I have done " cgfen's " posted procedure for my last 3 smog checks.

thanks for the mention,
but
this isn't my procedure.
just something i gleaned from the search function.

now i'm on biz travel in Asia (Japan / Singapore / Malaysia) waiting to hear from the seller how the smog check process goes.
Hope to be a 993 OWNER by Labor Day.

cheers

Craig
Old 08-15-2007, 11:49 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may be because:
1. the GA standards for number of allowable codes unset, or
2. where I live offers a variety of speed driving options

But, the BMW routine really works well for me. Usually (only once or, at most twice a year) my son and I do it like a gimick rally; he rides shotgun with the routine on his clipboard and a stopwatch. The timing for each step is really just a minimum. In fact I'm fairly sure I've broken a step or two into parts, because of stop lights, etc. It only takes us a half hour or so.

Good luck. Have fun.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

SUCCESS!!!!!! I used the BMW procedure. It really, really sucked and that 15 min. on the hwy. keeping it under 60mph and 3k rpms was the longest 15 min. of my life. Holding the clutch down to idle in gear for 5 min. sucked too. In fact, it all just SUCKED. But I ran my codes and only one, the O2 sensor, came back as not ready. I stopped at an inspection place on the way home and it passed. Now I am registering my car for two yrs. and have none of this worry about again until then. Whew! Thanks!

Quick Reply: readiness codes