Best shine, polish or wax for black finish

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:11 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best shine, polish or wax for black finish

Hi Guys

Looking for the best finish on my new ( to me ) 97 993 tt. No stranger to Porsche cars, but this is my first black paint. The easier the better. Before you ask, yes I am prepaired to spend a lot of time keeping it clean.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I waxed my black 993 -- the first black car I've ever owned -- with black Turtle Wax color wax. I know all the concours girls out there will probably cringe when they hear that I allowed such a lowbrow product to touch my car's paint, but the stuff is amazing and I plan on using it in the future. The nicest thing of all is that the wax dust is black, so when you buff it off there isn't white powder all over the car and in all the nooks and crannies.

BTW, if anyone knows a better color wax, I'm all ears.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The easier the better. Before you ask, yes I am prepaired to spend a lot of time keeping it clean.
Don't those statements contradict?

I'm all about the easy (but still good). Polymer cleaner/sealant every few months plus spray wax every wash is about as easy as it gets, but I'm sure you can do better if you're prepared to spend a lot of time.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:55 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, some other folks will cringe at this too, but I have a black '95 993, and I use Meguars Gold Class.
Its really easy to put on , and buffs out easily with a microfibre towel.
I was stunned with the results. Product is great value.
Let us know what you decide to use.
Cheers
Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 PM
dhicks
Drifting

I use Optimum products, my avitar speaks for itself.....and you need to take care how you wash and dry.....this is the process that creates swirls
Old 08-10-2007, 04:24 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My starting point is that the car was wet sanded to remove all the swirl marks, etc.. that could be removed. I then waxed the car with P21S Carnuba wax. I re-wax the car every 2-3 months depending on how it looks. The P21S is a softer wax so it seems to wear a bit faster, but is gives a superior shine IMHO.

I wash the car 1X per week with P21S Bodywork shampoo. I use a 5 gallon bucket that has a separator 2" off the bottom so any grit settles there. I use a shearling mit to wash the car only after I wash below the door line with a different mit. I do wash the wheels as I am washing below the door line. I wash one section at a time, rinse and then rinse the whole car one more time when I am done. The trick is to never let the car air dry. I then remove the water with a California blade. I dry the last bits as I go with a waffle weave drying cloth. I then go over the whole car once more with Zymol Field Glaze and a micro-fiber polishing cloth one section at a time. This helps bring back that just waxed look in between wax jobs - smells great as well - if you like coconuts. I never wash the car in the sun (fortunately I have some good shade trees at my house) and avoid letting any water dry by air on the car - this leads to spots that just lead you to rewash............

The car looks absolutely stunning - a deep deep shine that is like looking into a mirror. Sorry I don't have a photos but I am always asked about my "new" car and proudly "confess" that it is 11 years old.

I hope this helps.
Tom

------------------------------------------------
1996 Black Cabrio with Cashere comfort seats (ahhhhhh)
22K miles
Fabspeed exhaust
Rennsport pedals
18" Turbo twists
Euro RS front splitters (the real ones from Germany)
Strut Brace
Carbon Fiber Airbox cover
Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Default Wax on Wax off!

My $0.02.

I've been color sanding (keep 1000 grit in detail kit at all times) and polishing cars since I was 16 (now 37). Started in a Body Shop as a part time after school special, and worked in a detail shop part time along with an Auto Glass shop while in college. I've used many different products from Manufactures such as 3M, PPG, PRO, ZYMOL, and Meguiars. I have to say I like the Meguiars products the best. Many reasons: Easy on easy off, product rating charts for abrasiveness, and they work best with my buffer (Milwaukee). I hate orange peel. The best invention is the clay bar using lots of lube. These things take all the bad particles out on the paint and will also remove overspray. Those particulates get in the wash mitt or anything you touch your car with and they make fine scratches, you rub in a circle and swirl marks! New car or new to me, the Clay is the first thing!
My example of the neighbors house:
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like P21S wax... and I love dark colors. P21S is a good comprimise between price and quality, IMO. Good wax doesn't leave white dust everywhere either.
Plus it's like buttah and keeps my hands silky smooth

oh, and check out the Concours forum here on RL, there is some great info there too.
Even a thread or 2 on different people's lists of products for things I never even knew I needed
Very helpful regulars there and lots of info.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:28 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this Pelican thread in my favorites for some time. The farthest I've gone on my metallic black car is clay bar and wax. There are too many tiny rock chips and such on my paint to justify anything more.

I do use separate cloths to wash and dry the wheels than what I use on the body.

Here's a tip: Try Mother's Back to Black on all the black plastic and painted trim on the car. Really makes the car look new.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:54 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bruce! Excellent thread.
The only think I could add is go to Meguiars and watch the videos. Barry knows his stuff. All his company cars are Black!
Old 08-11-2007, 01:17 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

i have used Meguirs' , mothers,Xymol and fror my money Zano is the best ...bar none
Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by okindao
i have used Meguirs' , mothers,Xymol and fror my money Zano is the best ...bar none
I think you meant "Zaino"-but I agree 100%-Zaino is the best. Can't beat that polymer approach-
Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

First, proper care and waxing is almost a religion to some folks, but not so to me. I just like a clean, shinny car.

+1 on Brucec59's link, but with a twist. Instead of the orbital polisher I just used microfiber pads and towels. The difference between the cotton flannel was visible on both our '80 SC and '04 Audi S4. Also, I am now using Meguire's Tech Wax. On the Audi, in particular, it was outstanding. And it looks just as good on the 993.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:18 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on zaino. www.zainobros.com No affiliation.

Quick Reply: Best shine, polish or wax for black finish