Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody pndered a poor man's cold air intake for the unblown masses???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anybody pndered a poor man's cold air intake for the unblown masses???

Looks to me that the air intake is sucking a lot of hot air even if the car is flying down the road. That area on the deck lid looks like it might have a pretty good laminar flow down the rear window onto the deck lid. Looks like one could fabricate a little rubber inlet that you can merely slide into your existing 2" X 4" inlet to catch that high flow of cool air. The thing would 'face' up and nearly touch the underside of engine deck lid screen, sort of like the square rubber air intake on the drivers side of the deck lid. The actual opening might be on the order of 3" X 6" or so. You might have a small hole in the bottom so rain and water would drain. You would get cool, outside air no matter what your speed regime was. After the oil thermostat opens, it's always cooler outside the engine compartment than inside it. You would definitley be changing your air filter much more frequently though. Seems like it might be pretty easy to fab up out of thin plstic or aluminum to start with ...maybe we can get a rubber or plastic molding company to make them. Or maybe not..
Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Marlon,
There is an intake 'trumpet' available through Porsche, part number: 993.110.360.51. I think it's meant to mate with the underside of the RS tail - but you could always use it as a starting point for your idea:

Andreas
Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Item # 13 is used on Turbos and AeroKit cars with a fixed tail.

My understanding is that for the moveable tail cars, the air flow hits the raised curtain and is reflected into the opening on the sports intake. If the tail is not extended, you do not have room for #13.

There is an intake temperature test on p-car.com at
http://p-car.com/diy/intake/
Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marlon,

I had some similar thoughts. I now have a RS Cub Sport tail and thought it would be a great idea to fabricate ducting from the left side air intake to the engine air intake, but the following thread made me realise life is not so simple:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/277537-air-intake-temperatures-with-a-cup-drilled-airbox-versus-a-stock-airbox.html

Andreas,

Interestingly, I spoke with my mechanic about the RS intake trumpet. He had not seen any fitted to the 993 RS's which have come through his shop in Hong Kong. He promptly opened the lid on an RS with a Club Sport tail sitting nearby and sure enough it had no air scoop.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTango
Interestingly, I spoke with my mechanic about the RS intake trumpet. He had not seen any fitted to the 993 RS's which have come through his shop in Hong Kong. He promptly opened the lid on an RS with a Club Sport tail sitting nearby and sure enough it had no air scoop.
The intake trumpet was only used on the turbo models.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Interesting indeed. A buddy and I were talking about such contraption this past weekend. It would look exactly like part 13 but sit flush with the grille.

The question is: what would be more effective in terms of feeding cold air into the intake, air reflecting off the spoiler wall or air funneled through the duct assuming that part #13 can be cut to sit flush with the grille?

Is there any way to test the efficiency?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Default Ordering mine today...

This is a no brainer, Sunset: "Hello, Phil - I need one 993.110.360.51 pls, yes, UPS Ground is fine, Thx..."
Old 08-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Originally Posted by ROKN
Is there any way to test the efficiency?
Didn't the nice bloke at p-car.com do a temperature measurement on intake air ?

Anyhoo, I use an open Fabspeed lid. I figure if there's any cold air around it's gonna get sucked in.

Peter R.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Yes - he did. On average OAT is 10 deg. cooler than engine bay air. Guestimate is 1% power increase for each 1% inlet temp decrease. 10 degrees = 10% - that my friends, is tangible power to the rear end. For 55 bucks?!?!?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
Yes - he did. On average OAT is 10 deg. cooler than engine bay air. Guestimate is 1% power increase for each 1% inlet temp decrease. 10 degrees = 10% - that my friends, is tangible power to the rear end. For 55 bucks?!?!?
So based on your math, if I dyno my car on a 70-degree day and it puts out stock horsepower, on a 60-degree day it'll put out 310 horsepower? Do you have one of those internal BS meters? They look like this:

Old 08-07-2007, 09:52 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 438 Posts

P-Car says change of 10 degrees F in temp = 1% change in HP (2.8 BHP). Realistically, 5 degrees is probably the typical improvement your going to have in intake temp in a NA 993, so it's worth about 1.4 HP. Doesn't seem like much, but there are a lot of folks who paid a lot more for HP mods and gotten less than that!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Suggest people read the link I posted above. Here it is again

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=277537
Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Marlon
Drifting

This forum is full of armchair 'experts', handling dynamicists & Porsche reverse engineers, etc - what's a little more BS to further obfuscate the truth I'd rather have a few extra real HP to the rear end than the Mattel sound of Power any day...
Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 438 Posts

This forum is full of armchair 'experts', handling dynamicists & Porsche reverse engineers, etc - what's a little more BS to further obfuscate the truth I'd rather have a few extra real HP to the rear end than the Mattel sound of Power any day...
To each, his own. Seems like alot of time and money for one theoretical HP, though. I'd rather !!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

This forum is full of armchair 'experts', handling dynamicists & Porsche reverse engineers, etc - what's a little more BS to further obfuscate the truth ...
Lol, pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.

As an FYI, my data logged testing at speed showed a couple hp loss with the RS snorkel versus the open (cup) airbox due to the added flow restriction. That appears to contradict your 'expert' conclusion.

Quick Reply: Anybody pndered a poor man's cold air intake for the unblown masses???