Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody pndered a poor man's cold air intake for the unblown masses???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great design idea but it should have counter-rotating intake vents so the two vortices cancel and increase flow to the intake. Then it will be ready for sale on Ebay with a huge Buy it Now number.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:31 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Funny, but true story -- Years ago, a good friend owned a towing company and subsequent tow 'yard.' In this 'yard' were cars of many states of condition, mostly crashed. There were a few 'burners' as we called them, one being a 911 SC that caught fire.

Anyhow, some cars still ran, but were never claimed. So, we got to blow 'em up Most of these cars were worn out, nice a loose. So just dropping a brick on the throttle wouldnt do it, believe it or not. They would just ring away at the edge of valve float (these were cars before fuel injection and rev limiters).

One day we got the bright idea of trying to hydrolock one of these suckers. A Honda accord, older model. Got the engine running at full song, nice and hot -- then stuck a garden hose down its throat and turned on the water.... All it did was drown the engine and kill it -- no hydrolock

We figured it was atomizing the water faster than it was taking it in. We pulled the plugs and pumped the hot water out. Plugs back in, fired it up and tried it again. No luck in blowing this thing up with the garden hose

In the end, we gave up and resorted to what we always had to do, drain the damn oil and let her seize..
Jeez, Chris. If that's not a Honda testimonial, I don't know what is! Most recently, I had very good luck with my Honda BF50 outboard, a carbureted 900cc four-stroke inline 3. Turns out commercial users were also very impressed, including the Avalon, Catalina Harbormaster and the Laughlin Water Taxi. Those guys practically run 24x7. Just gotta remember to change the oil and service the lower unit as usual.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marlon,

I spoke to Colin Belton of 9M on this earlier this week. His conclusion was that for the track, with the vast amount of air flowing through and therefore no chance of heat soak, the open Cup air box would most likely be the best way to go. However, for street use where heat soak is an issue the snorkel would probably be preferable. I can easily fit a snorkel since I am running a RS Clubsport tail, and this is the way I will be going. Good thread.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,860 Likes on 1,732 Posts

Originally Posted by TargaTango
Marlon,

I spoke to Colin Belton of 9M on this earlier this week. His conclusion was that for the track, with the vast amount of air flowing through and therefore no chance of heat soak, the open Cup air box would most likely be the best way to go. However, for street use where heat soak is an issue the snorkel would probably be preferable. I can easily fit a snorkel since I am running a RS Clubsport tail, and this is the way I will be going. Good thread.
I think that's great advice. Adding further to the debate, and I again point out that I'm no engineer, I think that while the modified snorkel may help keep the engine cooler in stop and go traffic, it could actually reduce the engine's ability to take in cold air at speed if in fact Peter is correct and cooling takes place by drawing air that hits the raised curtain of the spoiler and is reflected into the opening on the air box since the modified snorkel reduces the area for the air to be induced into the air box. Again, a friend of mine and I were pontificating on such a contraption just this past weekend and after going over the info on this thread I'm now thinking that Porsche's design is most efficient and provides for the best compromise. Unless you're installing a tail, leave the car alone.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
mesa87
Advanced

Here's another one...just to add more fuel to the fire.

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/....html#porsche1

Near the bottom of the page is a testimonial from someone with a 96 993, he seems happy...
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mesa87
Here's another one...just to add more fuel to the fire.

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/....html#porsche1

Near the bottom of the page is a testimonial from someone with a 96 993, he seems happy...
Well, it is hard to argue with this compelling graphical representation!

See all of that air going in?!
Looks like you can link these together too... neato.
I want the red one
Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
mesa87
Advanced

Mark,

I was so taken by the electric supercharger I just had to call...993's will require a modified intake so their gizmo can be attached. The guy I spoke to indicated going with 2 of these gadgets to really see a drastic difference...we're talking 25hp +

Wow! All that for about $800, makes you wonder about all those 3.8 conversions

I think I'll take my own advice and stick with the only REAL improvement my car needs is a better driver!

Cheers,
Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by Amfab
I think this method may work even better, with these modified home ventilation turbines, each driven by a 12v blower motor reversing the rotation, you could, with just a little amount of body work and some internal ducting get more than enough air without interfering with the spoiler operation. Plus Imagine the extra torque it would produce at idle! You could save on having to upgrade to a LWF because the extra torque would have no problem spinning the dual mass FW.

This would bring so much cool air in that you could actually take a duct off the this intake system to blow over the back deck to eliminate the dreaded speaker dust issue: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/370110-speaker-dust-issues.html
Yeeeeah, love that Princess Leia look

Quick Reply: Anybody pndered a poor man's cold air intake for the unblown masses???